Nissan Murano Forum banner

421 - 440 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
X 2 with Joe: Excellent post....and I am taking you up on your suggestion...I'll have an upholsterer who happens to be a neighbor who works out of his garage do it for me if I run into the same problem.

Thanks for the informative and useful post.

Chuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Excellent first post! Thank you for sharing the info. It is definitely worth repeating!

87473-CA01A

$110 @ www.nissanpartszone.com

-njjoe
Hey guys I'm a longtime Maxima enthusiast. Recently in visiting my dad I discovered his wife's Murano has this seat issue. As with all others it dips in the rear left. I figure I've been doing all my own work for a minute, in the grand scheme this should be something I can do.

It's a 2005 with a DOM of 06/05

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that part number 87450-CA01A was the replacement part which combined two prior defective parts. BTW for anyone interested that part has itself been replaced by new part # 87450-CA09A

Now I see more recently (if I am reading correctly) that you only have to replace the part number njjoe quoted #87473-CA01A which is much cheaper at $94 from the nissanpartzone

I was just hoping to get a confirmation that part is all I need and that part is compatible with an 05 manufactured in June of '05

If someone can confirm for me I will go ahead and order the part and would be happy to document the procedure of replacing it for you all in return.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My seat fix for the same issue, described as Lifter Link Assy, was with the following parts:

- 87458-AR06A (Link Assy - FR @)
- 87473-CA00A (Link Assy - RR LI)

I have a 2005 which I purchased in Feb 05.

-biggun

·
Registered
3 Posts
My seat fix for the same issue, described as Lifter Link Assy, was with the following parts:

- 87458-AR06A (Link Assy - FR @)
- 87473-CA00A (Link Assy - RR LI)

I have a 2005 which I purchased in Feb 05.

-biggun
OK Cool but it's just those two parts and not the more expensive $700-800 unit mentioned in the OP right?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Correct. I think the cost was around upper $300, which included labor - covered under good faith repair.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just fixed the "rocking" seat on my 05. There was a problem with a rear seat bracket. Cost me $546....
on top of all other problems

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I just fixed the "rocking" seat on my 05. There was a problem with a rear seat bracket. Cost me $546....
on top of all other problems
How did you fix it? Was the dealer involved? If so, what part numbers were replaced? The reason I ask is because other members have had the same repair done for about $100+ less.

-njjoe

·
Registered
26 Posts
How did you fix it? Was the dealer involved? If so, what part numbers were replaced? The reason I ask is because other members have had the same repair done for about $100+ less.

-njjoe

Oh wow! really? I have no clue about the parts, see I am a woman :) and have all the things done at dealership. See my post "constant problems", I start wondering after all the bad luck if they are just trying to rip me off there and I actually do not have that many problems :confused:

BTW, looking at the work print out they gave me, quote:
"9785 C
1 87473 - CA01A LINK ASMY-RR L1 (might be the parts numbers you asked about???)
Confirmed customer's concern. Traced cause to rear seat bracket broken. Removed seat and disassembled seat frame. Installed new rear bracket. rechecked"
Parts: 152.03 Labor: 394.00

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh wow! really? I have no clue about the parts, see I am a woman :) and have all the things done at dealership. See my post "constant problems", I start wondering after all the bad luck if they are just trying to rip me off there and I actually do not have that many problems :confused:

BTW, looking at the work print out they gave me, quote:
"9785 C
1 87473 - CA01A LINK ASMY-RR L1 (might be the parts numbers you asked about???)
Confirmed customer's concern. Traced cause to rear seat bracket broken. Removed seat and disassembled seat frame. Installed new rear bracket. rechecked"
Parts: 152.03 Labor: 394.00
I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but I think you overpaid. (Don't you always when you go to the dealer) I would have asked for the original broken bracket too. I recently had my seat welded and also had a side section of the foam cushion replaced for $150 total.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but I think you overpaid. (Don't you always when you go to the dealer) I would have asked for the original broken bracket too. I recently had my seat welded and also had a side section of the foam cushion replaced for $150 total.
I know! Where do you go to get you car fixed?
The thing is my husband is strongly against any garages except for official dealerships. He says at least they are responsible for what they do and they have expertise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went to a local auto upholstery for the welding of my seat. Dealerships are blatant rip off artists. They charge double for parts and their rates are by the "book". So if the "book" says a job takes 3 hours, they will charge you for 3 hours labor even if it only takes them 1 hour to do the job. I NEVER go to a dealership unless my AWESOME mechanic reluctantly sends me there, and they have only done that once and that was for transmission work. A good, honest mechanic is not easy to find and if you do, use them and recommend them. Prior to my Murano I had a Cadillac Eldorado and I used the dealership 2 or 3 times. Terrible experiences.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I think we all agree that dealer service departments are there for warranty work, and to rip off folks who are too lazy to look for a good mechanic. I've never found a dealer who charges less than a good independent shop.

One case in point is that my wife took our Maxima to the dealer to have the brakes checked. They said we needed pads and rotors for $$$$$$. I told them no way. I took it to the mechanic I use, and he said the pads are fine, and the rotors can be turned. About $50 and I was good as new. I never did replace the brakes in 7 years.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My drivers seat broke this winter, on the rear drivers side, just after I decided to keep the Murano for a few more years instead of trading it in. I've been driving it for the last few months with it propped up in that corner.

I ordered the replacement part (87473-CA01A - newer part) last week for $125 and installed it today. The new part now is a solid piece of steel for the rear drivers side corner. It was a pain in the butt to take the seat almost completely apart, but the steps in bulletin NTB05-043d helped.

I did do one thing different than the bulletin. The bulletin recommends disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it once the seat has been fixed and re-installed. Instead, I reconnected the battery as soon as the seat harness was disconnected, then disconnected the battery before re-installing the seat. This was to preserve my idle settings, which can cause rough idling and starting. These are maintained for up to about 3 hours via battery backup, but I knew that it would take me longer to complete the repair. Plus it costs $75 to get the idle settings reset. However, do this at your own risk.

It took me about 4 hours to complete this process. But I had a bad cold and felt miserable, so I took frequent breaks. Plus, I was watching hockey, which would distract me. I probably could have done it in 1.5 to 2 hours working straight out. The majority of the time was figuring out how to release the plastic clips and tabs without breaking them.

I'm just happy that it's done...

David

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
The thing is my husband is strongly against any garages except for official dealerships. He says at least they are responsible for what they do and they have expertise.
Your husband has some things to learn. Dealerships do have specific expertise and test equipment for some of the more unusual or highly technical stuff. But in most other cases there are equally competent independent shops that charge less.

And ALL mechanical shops are responsible for their work. Check their work guarantees when you bring a vehicle in. An ethical independent shop can be a lot moer pleasant to work with than a corner-cutting dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could use some advice on dealing with the dealership's service department.

My 2005 Murano's driver seat finally broke. I did a quick inspection and it looks like the same exact problem everyone else is reporting. I did a quick internet search and came across lots of information regarding this problem.

I called the dealership's service department and they said it would probably be around $1000 to fix. I went back to the internet and saw that many people were able to get it fixed for under $500. I also saw suggestions about filing a complaint with NHTSA and Nissan's Consumer Affairs department. I did both. Nissan replied and said I needed a recent diagnosis by a Nissan Service department, which i understand.

So today I took my Murano to the service department and explained the problem to them. I also showed them the Service Bulletin (NTB05-043d) that everyone had been referencing.

The service adviser stated that all the repairs they've done has involved replacing the whole seat frame. I told him that it was my understanding the the issue could be fixed with one of the parts listed on the TSB. His response was, "If it is one of those parts that is broken."

I didn't have an appointment so they weren't going to be able to look at it till tomorrow.

My question is....
- Is there any reason they would have to replace the whole seat frame?
- What should I say if they do tell me they have to replace the whole frame?
- How do I protect my self from getting unnecessary parts replaced?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello David,
I have just ordered the part and I have a question for you. The Nissan Service bulletin calls for removal of the "front" lift assembly too in steps 44-47. Did you do that, or did you skip to step 48? Also, are there quite a few steps related to motors I can skip for the same reason?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dec 10, 2012 DRIVERS SEAT BROKEN LINK ASSEMBLY FIX My '06 Murano's drivers seat frame broke about 18 months ago. I had the Nissan top of the line full extended warranty. I read up on the problem before I went to the dealer but was told it was a "wear and tear" item and was not covered. Bastards!! Because it was so expensive and not really bothering me, I decided to just ignore it. Well it started to get quite sloppy so decided to get it fixed. The rear frame part (mine was broken on rear left of drivers seat) is available in the US from Nissanzone.com. Part number is 87473-CA01A
I got it on sale for $99. My Canadian dealer wanted $317.00 plus 13% tax just for the part. I got a friend in the U.S. ( I am Canadian) to buy it and then send it up here as a used part under $25 so no duty.
I then took it to a local reputable car interior shop (See who your best body shops recommend because they farm this work out) who quoted me $120 - $150. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Have seen guys on here pay upwards of $1200. Turns out the front bracket was broken too and I did not have that part so they welded it up. I also asked for new foam on left bolster were my fat legs had worn it out. No problem. Total Labour charge?????? $200 Whole job cost less than local dealership wanted for the part. NOte that my local dealer has a labour rate well over $90 and hour now.
So ladies and gentlemen. My seat was fixed for under $350 Cdn. Nissan are idiots for not fixing these faulty underbuilt frames under warranty. Let the the number crunchers figure out how many potential repeat Nissan buyers they have lost. E-mail me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Should also give a plug to NewImage Auto Interiors who did the repair WHILE I WAITED. They are in Toronto on Midland Avenue. Gonna give em my Honda ST1100 seat to make it more comfortable. THIS is how the world should work. Good work at a fair price equals repeat business.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Should also give a plug to NewImage Auto Interiors who did the repair WHILE I WAITED. They are in Toronto on Midland Avenue. Gonna give em my Honda ST1100 seat to make it more comfortable. THIS is how the world should work. Good work at a fair price equals repeat business.
you could have done it yourself if you really wanted to. There is a TSB that shows you step by step what to do, and its really not hard.

421 - 440 of 468 Posts
About this Discussion
467 Replies
162 Participants
User Name
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing