Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having the problem of my Murano drivers seat only moving on the left side. The gear on the right side was stripped, and the dealership wanted $1,000+ to fix it, even though I had it in multiple times under warranty for seat problems.

I found a company that manufactures the gear. I put the new gear in and it works great. All for about $69.

They are: http://www.odometergears.com

Here is the FAQ on how I fixed my seat:

http://www.odometergears.com/subpages/Infiniti_Nissan_Seat_Gear_How_To.html

The entire process honestly takes about 30 minutes (and I am not the most handy guy).

Darren & Jeff at Odometer Gears are are class acts, unlike the "goodwill" department at Nissan. I was very happy dealing with them.

I hope that helps!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seat Gear

I ordered the gear with neck and collar, because the collar on my gear was cracked as well. I can't say for sure regarding the 2006 Murano, as I have a 2004. I would take it apart first, see if you need the collar or only the gear, and then order accordingly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm just having my mechanic do it, so I don't want to take it apart first. I might just order both and return the one I don't use.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Mrorida, you have a different issue. Your seat bracket is failing like many other MOs (including mine). It will eventually snap causing the seat to drastically tilt back and to the left. Be gentle with the seat and it might not break. For more info, do a search and you'll find numerous threads on the topic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Just found out the gears are jammed in my 2007 Nissan Murano driver's seat. Shop wants $1300 to fix (replace the base is what they said is required). Can anyone help? Can I purchase the gears to do this? Not very handy...any detailed instructions would also be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Hi. Just found out the gears are jammed in my 2007 Nissan Murano driver's seat. Shop wants $1300 to fix (replace the base is what they said is required). Can anyone help? Can I purchase the gears to do this? Not very handy...any detailed instructions would also be appreciated. Thanks!
You're going the correct direction. Dealers don't repair things, they replace things.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am having the same problem, on both seats, on my MO 2009.

Took the seat apart and the gears don't look anything like the ones in Odometer Gears - WELCOME, asked them and they said that they don't have anything like that. So I am stuck.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found the needed gear sets on Ebay. Installed them and they worked great. One word of caution. If you have the automatic seat positioning setup. There is a ceramic magnet on the back of the right side gear. Be careful removing it, because it's fragile. Mine came off in 3 pieces, so I sanded the area where the gear goes and epoxy'd it on. Make sure to sand it for a good grip. If you have to use the plastic collar that comes with the gear. Make sure you disable the auto seat function. It will not work without the magnet.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I followed the instructions from the odometer gears website, ordered the gear like the one removed off my 2007 Murano, had it in 2 days and re-installed. Of course installation is always a little more complicated than dismantling. I have read that the gear is tight and that some have filed down either the inside of the gear or the actual shaft the gear goes on. What I did was align the gear on the shaft and then just gently tap it on using a deep well socket, I was then able to remove it and re-install the gear ok (it was tight but could do it by hand). I did break the 2-piece magnet during installation, but since the gear came with another plastic spacer to replace the magnet it wasn't no big deal. One thing I did have to do was make sure my seat was aligned about the same place of the track of both side of the seat so the seat would not side waper-jawed. One more note: Take your time, don't get in a big hurry. If you need to start over during the installation then do so, I had to several times but it still took me only about 90 minutes. A LOT better than the $1000+ that Nissan will ding you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
maeley
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing