Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced the driver side door locking on its own after leaving the vehicle? After returning home on two occasions, the driver door was locked when I went back out to the car. Initially, I just thought I had inadvertently just locked it and didn't realize it. This morning, I let the vehicle warm up, and with the keys still in the ignition, ran back into the house to get something. When I came back, the door was locked again. This time I know I did not lock it myself. Fortunately, I have my extra set of keys handy to unlock it. Is this supposed to be a safety feature? My own garage or driveway is the only place I leave the car running for a short period of time. Perhaps this is to prevent someone from stealing the vehicle for those who leave their car running when they go into convenient stores?

·
Registered
82 Posts
i know that with my alarm on my honda, it does that only when the car is off. a safety feature just in case i forget to arm it, it arms itself (which automatically locks the doors). however, it doesn't do it while my car is running. that is weird. weird to a point that it shouldn't do that. wish i could say that i have the murano now to witness this, but, something to look into definitely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Door Locking

I have had my Murano for six weeks with 2500 miles on it and in that time I have never had the door lock automatically on me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got lucky

Taylormade,

I thought it was me.

First time. I was warming up the car and went in the house for a short period of time. When I came out the door was locked. I have no idea why.

Second time. I was sitting in the car and the door locked. I have had vehicles with the auto lock at certain speeds but I was sitting in the driveway with the car running.

Very strange.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a Murano 3 weeks ago and it started locking the driver door immediately. Since I park in a garage, I usually leave it unlocked inside. On the MLK holiday I went to drop a book in the return box at the library. I jumped out and left the car running, but closed the door. You guessed it, I was locked out for an hour while I had to wait for my husband to rescue me. :x
I called the dealer and they told me it does have an automatic locking feature but it shouldn't activate with the engine running and it should lock all of the doors. I brought it in to the service dept. and they de-activated the auto lock feature but they said they couldn't figure out anything wrong. I took it into a different dealership and they kept it for two days and still could not figure it out.
I think we are looking at a recall sometime in the near future. Anybody else out there with this problem, please contact your dealer so that Nissan can get clued into this problem.
The car is locking itself at least 3 or 4 times a day.
Meanwhile, always keep your keys with you!

·
4,664 Posts
I suppose it would be worse if it kept unlocking itself!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good, I'm glad I'm not alone. The funny thing is that after posting my first complaint about this, it has stopped locking itself. I still make sure I keep my keys with me though.

What on earth were the engineers thinking to design an autolock feature that isn't even speed triggered?

I will call my dealership on Monday though to complain about this and have them disable the autolock feature.

And yes, it would be worse if it was unlocking itself! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Golfnmom, please make sure you call Nissan Customer Service directly regarding this issue. Perhaps we can get this fixed sooner rather than relying on the dealership to complain if they even do.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
One thing I did notice (not the door locks) but the windows, would roll down all us a sudden when I was sitting in the drivers seat. (I know this is different from your locks.. )

After thinking about it.. I noticed that my watch (big and heavy) was pressing through my jacket and pressing the window switch, when I was resting my hands on the door..

Taylormade said:
Has anyone else experienced the driver side door locking on its own after leaving the vehicle? After returning home on two occasions, the driver door was locked when I went back out to the car. Initially, I just thought I had inadvertently just locked it and didn't realize it. This morning, I let the vehicle warm up, and with the keys still in the ignition, ran back into the house to get something. When I came back, the door was locked again. This time I know I did not lock it myself. Fortunately, I have my extra set of keys handy to unlock it. Is this supposed to be a safety feature? My own garage or driveway is the only place I leave the car running for a short period of time. Perhaps this is to prevent someone from stealing the vehicle for those who leave their car running when they go into convenient stores?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same experience with a rented Mini-van, I think it was a town country Caravan. We rented it going to the airport and plan to drop it off right there. With all our suite case inside the mini-van, I started the van to warm it up, after 2 minutes and ready to go to the airport, the van was locked. :x We were late! but made it. How? I used a slim jim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Door locking

Have had mine for just over a month now and haven't encountered my driver door locking for any reason (other them myself) :D . Just added the rear deck protector and the Moonroof wind deflector :lol: !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had this happen once - freaked me out because the keys were inside, but to my relief the rest of the doors were unlocked.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Moonroof Deflector

I ordered my moonroof wind deflector over 2 months ago along with the rear bumper protector. Bumper protector came in in 3 weeks but still waiting for the wind deflector. Where did you get yours? I called my Nissan dealer earlier this week and was told "be patient". :cry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
We've had our Murano for a little over a month now and are experiencing the same problem. But luckily only the driver door lock...none of the others. I guess this will be something to report to the dealer during my next visit.
R

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this happen three times and fortunately each time the other doors were unlocked. I reported it to the dealer and they and I now believe it is the way I open the door. The manual locking device is positioned such that I may unintentionally lock the door after I open it. Since I was made aware of this possibility, the door has not locked automatically.

·
Registered
3 Posts
AFter reading dgaser's response to the door locking, I got in and paid attention to how I was getting out. There is a high possibility that the way the door is opened is locking to door at times. I'll have to pay more attention to my methods....if my wife ever lets me drive it..

R

·
Registered
24 Posts
I park my vehicle in a garage so I never lock it. But sometimes the next morning when I go to get in it, the door is locked.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
There is a TSB (EL03-009 NTB03-033 April 15, 2003) on intermittant door locking, alarm sounds and window movement. Requires replacement door harness assembly.

For 2WD - Vehicles built before JN8AZ08T53W112422
For AWD - Vehicles built before JN8AZ08W33W223383
All vehicles built before March 4, 2003

Also, the doors will automatically lock within 1 minute of pressing the unlock button on the keyfob if you don't open a door or insert key into ignition.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts