Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an update on my MO's vibration:

Brought it into dealer for service 2 weeks ago and they say they cannot reproduce the problem and everything is working as normal.

Last week, I rode in my friend's MO that we bought together and his is perfectly quiet and vibe-free.

Called service manager and brought in the car today and service manager took it for a long test drive and acknowledge the problem. The MO vibrates a lot thru the floor and the gas pedal that the plastic rubs against each other on the dash and sometimes the hatch making the car rattle. This vibration occurs when I am accelerating and the rev is at about 1200 - 1500 rpm...most obvious on an incline.

Service manager tried 2 new MOs for comparison and found similar vibrations. He has contacted Nissan NA and it has been acknowledged that other dealers have called in similar problems and Nissan has yet have a fix for this.

Anyone else here in the same boat as I? Am wondering if this will become a problem that won't be covered once my car is past the one year adjustment period....

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
What is the date of your Mo's Manufacture. GRIP :D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I have a very very slight vibration at those RPMs... always seemed to me like the car was lugging slighltly. In any case nothing that would cause plastic to vibrate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
CVT/Computer Issue

I put up a post about a month ago mentioning a problem that I was having with my transmission "slipping" and vibrating under hard acceleration, along with unusual noise/roughness when the engine was cold. ('03 SE AWD)
I finally got it in to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed a couple of error codes that showed up in the computer. Unfortunately Nissan tech couldn't tell whether the issue is a transmission or computer problem and they are going to need the vehicle for a couple of days to diagnose it (major inconvenience).
I don't know whether this is anything like what you are talking about, but I'll let you know what develops. Most importantly I think you should make sure that it is logged by your dealer that you have had your MO in for this problem, just in case something bigger develops down the road. At least you can tell them you brought it to their attention earlier.
Good luck!

TenSpeed

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I get this vibration as well....it has been there from the beginning. I have felt it in other vehicles as well and attributed it to the TC waffling on lockup. So, I have been living with it, I just mash the pedal a little harder.
:D

·
Registered
418 Posts
A slight vibration when accelerating at low rpm (1200-1500) is normal. The CVT is designed so that the torque converter locks up very quickly and slight push on the accelerator does not signal the CVT to drop to a lower ratio, causing the engine to lug. Using regular gas(87 octane) may cause the timing to be retarded and make the vibration worse. Try pushing the accelerator a little harder, as MGTHE3 suggested, or shifting ino Ds to get the rpm up.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
My car is far from perfect, but I have never felt a vibration at any speed or RPM. I do feel the TQ converter but that is normal and you can feel it on other cars with traditional trannys also.

Homer

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My MO was built in December 2003. I do put in premium unleaded already and the vibration is so bad it makes the dash and sometimes the hatch rattle.
My friend's MO does not have this vibration at all.....and as I recall when the car was newer, it was much quieter too...
It is very annoying when i commute because you hear all this buzzing...if i mash the pedal i'd hit the car in front of me..

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Thanks GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I do not experience a vibration either. In my opinion, it is not acceptable if a vibration has to be addressed by more aggressive driving or switching to Ds. This needs to be resolved by the dealer. Unfortunately there is no way we can get a message to the factory in Japan to tell them to torque the bolts a little tighter so things wouldn't rattle apart.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do you any of you with transmission complaints suffer from poor gas mileage as well? I seem to average about 13-15mpg under normal city driving conditions (A/C off). The dealer told me this should return to normal once my computer/transmission problem is fixed, we'll see....

TenSpeed

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well at least the service manager at my dealership acknowledges the problem. But there is no fix yet and they do not want to experiment going in to fix things blindly.
I have always tried to keep my engine under 2000 rpm but my gas mileage is averaging 13.0L/100kms for a mix of city and highway driving. Nothing close to what they have listed of 12.0 and 8.0 L/ 100kms for city and hwy driving!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
A little OT but it would be nice if someone would post the gas mileage equivalents. They re a little obscure and not usually in the conversion tables.
RE: 8l/100km highway - my crude attempt at conversion makes that 29.38 mi/US gallon. Isn't that a little high for any MO?

How I converted:
8l=2.11 US gal @3.78 l/US gal
100km=62mi

62/2.11=29.38mi/US gal

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Somewhat unrelated but I remember reading the Canadian Murano specs and being bowled over by the high MPG figures - turns out Nissan uses the Imperial Gallon (1 IG = 1.2 US gallons) for its Canadian Murano measurements.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
My calculations started with l/100km, completely independent of the imperial gallon.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
ekaxel said:
My calculations started with l/100km, completely independent of the imperial gallon.
I did say "somewhat unrelated." :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Straight from Nissan CA:

Xtronic CVT - AWD

(city)
L/100kmÂ_Â_Â_Â_Â_MPG
12.0 (24)

(hwy)
L/100km MPG
8.8 (32)

Ok to make ekaxel happy, I will now mention that MPG in this case is imperial gallons (=1.2 US gallon).

The highway numbers seem higher than the 20/24 rating of US models (32MPG CA is equiv to 26.6mpg in US gallons).

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
zoo_b's original post post said 8.0 not 8.8. That's 10% better mileage.
I suspect the Canadian results are the result of a different (and even less real world) test standard.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
ekaxel said:
zoo_b's original post post said 8.0 not 8.8. That's 10% better mileage.
I suspect the Canadian results are the result of a different (and even less real world) test standard.
I got the numbers from the Nissan Canada website, thats what I'll go by.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The mileage claims by Nissan Canada are unattainable anyhwere except in a lab, but thats true of all Transport Canada ratings. I get around 19-20 mpg in Imperial city driving, about 24-25 on the highway. I have gotten as high as 27 mpg (IMperial gallon) and could possibly get a bit more, but I can't refrain from getting my foot in deep!

Anyway you calculate it, the mileage is pretty good and better, sometimes much better, than the competition.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts