Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed a mild drivetrain vibration at 40 to 50 mph?

It is most apparent when you are trying to maintain a constant speed. You can feel it through the gas pedal, shifter, and seat of the pants. It is very annoying because I tend to back off the gas to make it go away and then bring it back as I accelerate slightly to maintain my speed. I can't just hold a steady speed without feeling the vibration.

I think the vibe is caused because the engine is running at only 1250 rpm. It may not have enough torque to run smoothly while maintaining a constant speed unless you give it a little more gas and force the CVT to raise the RPM. I drove an Altima and noticed that it runs at 1600 rpm at 40 mph, and it has more horsepower and less weight.

Is this a common problem or unique to my MO? What rpm does your engine turn at 40 mph?

BTW - I've had the MO for 2 weeks and it is spending way too much time in the shop. First the brake rotors had to be cut to eliminate judder (the dealer has 4 new rotors on order for me). Then the power steering hose started leaking. That's also on order.

JeffC

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Does it go away when you use the "S" position on the transmission selector? PS is it a SL or SE?

·
Registered
842 Posts
JeffC said:
Has anyone noticed a mild drivetrain vibration at 40 to 50 mph?

It is most apparent when you are trying to maintain a constant speed. You can feel it through the gas pedal, shifter, and seat of the pants. It is very annoying because I tend to back off the gas to make it go away and then bring it back as I accelerate slightly to maintain my speed. I can't just hold a steady speed without feeling the vibration.

I think the vibe is caused because the engine is running at only 1250 rpm. It may not have enough torque to run smoothly while maintaining a constant speed unless you give it a little more gas and force the CVT to raise the RPM. I drove an Altima and noticed that it runs at 1600 rpm at 40 mph, and it has more horsepower and less weight.

Is this a common problem or unique to my MO? What rpm does your engine turn at 40 mph?

BTW - I've had the MO for 2 weeks and it is spending way too much time in the shop. First the brake rotors had to be cut to eliminate judder (the dealer has 4 new rotors on order for me). Then the power steering hose started leaking. That's also on order.

JeffC
Have you had your tires re-balanced or inspected?, this almost sounds like it could be a tire issue either with balance or a steel belt in the tire starting to separate. It could also be a rim issue especially if you have a crack in one. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is definitly a drivetrain vibration. It goes away when I accelerate and the rpm's rise above 1250 rpm. It also goes away if I put it in neutral.

Again, what rpm does your engine turn at 40 mph?

If no one else has this vibe, maybe my CVT is dropping the rpm's too far at cruise.

JeffC

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just ran a short errand, and made a point of driving at 40 MPH. Once I reached speed, drove about 1/2 mile on a flat road and the RPM's showed a constant 1250.

·
4,994 Posts
Still need to know if it stops when you shift to S? Does it??????

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Copper, thanks.

Gripper, anytime the rpm goes up the vibe goes away, so if I put it in "S" the vibe goes away. It is a subtle vibe that you could miss if you weren't trying to notice it. It might be that it is still there at higher rpm but masked by a little increased exhaust noise.

JeffC

·
4,994 Posts
Since it evidently goes away at the same HP output and the same vehicle speed and the same drive shaft speeds, both front and rear, it is therefor does not seem to be an unbalance of those items. I would therefor surmise it may be related to the transmission and or its torque load or the engine at a certain rpm. However you can now eliminate the engine by driving at the "SAME" engine RPM and see it you feel it in some different "Gear". Suggest you give the CVT some time to "Polish" its surfaces. Say 1000 miles and if it still remains and is truly "unusual" see your deal with your collected evidence.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think I have a similar problem as I posted before. I notice it at a specific rpm, rather than speed. I get the vibration through those areas as you've mentioned and my dash rattles sometimes too as a result. My dealership's service manager acknowledges the problem but told me there's no fix right now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the MO out on the hiway last night. The slight vibe is still there at 65 to 75 mph. As at lower speeds, it seems worse at cruise and somewhat diminshed on acceleration.

It could be a driveshaft balance issue, but I'm guessing that it is a characteristic of the CVT or the fact that the CVT is running the engine at too low an rpm at cruise. I have been told that the Saturn CVT was discontinued because it had too many problems and one of them was vibration.

This isn't a big deal. In fact, my wife has not noticed it from the passenger seat in 350 miles. Much of the time I don't notice it either, but on a long cross country trip it would probably be annoying.

I'm going to drive another MO at the dealership and see if it feels the same as mine. If so, I'll probably not press the issue any further, but I'll regret the fact that I didn't notice it during the test drive and pass on the MO. I still wonder why the issue doesn't appear more often on this BB.

BTW, the passenger side rear window rattle has started.

JeffC

·
4,994 Posts
Oh well let it run a while, doesn't sound like an eminent failure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Actually the service manager that tokk my MO for test drive tried out some other MOs and still did acknowledge a problem with the vibration, and I guess it is more noticeable in my MO as the vibration is causing the dash to make more noise....
All he can do now is lodge the issue with Nissan North America, and I will just have to stick with it until a fix is available, if ever.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There are 100,000 Muranos out there.
Some being driven by people who have owned over 50 cars in their driving experience.
The car has been reviewed by every major (and some not so major) automotive publication in the world.

No, a vibration is not "characteristic" of a CVT.

In point of fact, a CVT hooked up to one of the world's 10 "best" engines (For 11 years in a row) has been hailed for it's "smoothness".

If you have a vibration, you need to see your dealer.
You might not like what he has to say,as the weakest point of the Nissan experience is a wildly erratic dealer network, but be assured, MY Nissan Murano, and the overwhelming majority, do not have a vibration, at cruising speed.

Homer

·
4,994 Posts
Well said Homer!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope you are right Homer, but I have done a search and the vibration has come up in quite a few posts on this BB.

When my brake rotors and power steering parts come in I'll have them check the vibe again, and the rear window rattle.....

JeffC

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I too have the vibration at 65 to 70 mph....so I take it to 80.
:)
I noticed it is more prevelant when it is cold. It feels kinda gravely...no noise, just a slight hint of gravel in the steering wheel and butt-O-meter. Sometimes when it is cold I feel it even at 45-60 mph.
And yes Jeff, it has been discussed many times.
It doesn't worry me, I just kick it up a notch and it is smooth.

......for now.....

·
4,994 Posts
It was cold here last night (41F) and I was on the freeway so I tried lots of speed and transmission position combinations, could not get a vib no matter how I tried.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I am NOT saying that people with Vibration issues do not have a problem.

Taking about an hour of my time (I'm retired, why not?:D )
I found "quite a few" vibration posts alright.

Of course most have to do with Brake judder and tires, etc. and not drivetrain.

Naturally I didn''t find every mention of Drivetrain Vibration.
What I did find was that you have to count posters, not posts.
The same names continue to come up, naturally.
Guys like Zoob who has a vibration. On acceleration. Not on cruising.
He has driven his buddy's car and it does not have a vibration, His SM said that he has seen it and "Nissan" doesn't know how to fix it. I would take that with a grain of salt. I would bet that some SMs can fix it and some cannot...........

Gonzo has a slight Vibe. Doesn't seem to bother him.
tenspeedpete has a vibe on hard acceleration.
mgthe3 has a vibe. He thinks it is associated with TC lockup. If so, that would be true on a standard Automatic Tranny also.
Senza thinks it is normal. (Would he be happy with one of the thousands of cars that do not have a vibe? :D )
Amber Jane had a vibe, but she dissappeared.
However, that's too bad as she may have had a diagnosed Vibration Dampenerer issue. Maybe.
Yes there is a part that is called a Vibration Dampener. It is just the pulley on the front of the Crank that is set to minimize vibrations. It is usually very effective. But it can be a problem.
Another issue is the occasional bad motor mount. Often these days (I don't know about the Murano) the Mounts are liquid filled and for some reason they lose their fluid.
And of course there is the CVT.
Too little is know at this point about the CVT. (Except that it is NOT the same CVT as the one used in the Saturn)
But any device with rotating mass can cause a vibration.

All in all I found about 10 people who had this problem. There may be double that here.

The point is, I cannot find more than a handful of people that have this problem out of the probable 1000 people who belong/ed here.

So again, I state, this is not characteristic of the CVT.
If it was, I would have sold this thing a long time ago and moved on. ;)
Nissan doesn't get off the hook by saying "They all do that".

What this is, is a problem with a few individual vehicles that Nissan needs to fix/replace.
Logistically it just isn't at the same high level occurence of the Steering rack, The Reverse Brake Squeal or the Alternator.
But if you are the one that has this problem than the occurence is about 100% around your house.
They HAVE to fix it.

Way too soon to think of this seriously, but remember, if you have a problem that cannot be fixed, you are a prime candidate for restitution via a state lemon law.

And of course, it is also a bit disconcerting to think that there may not be a single cause of these various incidents.

Anyway, BOL. I just wanted to clarify that drivetrain vibration is a repairable fault. It is most certainly not characteristic of the Murano drivetrain.

Homer

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hfelknor - the vibration I posted about was related to the early torque converter lock up when accelerating slowly....I would describe it as more of a brief "buzz" which is made a little more noticeable by the oversize tires...I certainly don't think its a problem ...once over 1500 rpms, the VQ / CVT is the smoothest power train I've driven...the expression about a baby's bum comes to mind...

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I hear ya Homer.
I do still think my very slight vibe has something to do with the TC, but....I have entertained the thought that maybe playing with Ds mode got me a gravely place in the pulleys.....but I don't know enough about the CVT to know if that is possible. Sometimes I do have the low rpm lockup jitter, it never does it while cruising, it is always (underlined) while accelerating very easy. If I romp it, it never does it.
Since I live in rompdom with my Mo, I hardley notice it.
But, if it gets to be a common thing, I will take it in.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts