Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, most of you know that I travel frequently and drive different cars. Now, interestingly I am always “surprised” with the Murano. Once I get back and drive her off the airport parking I say “nice to have you back”…

Now disclaimer: I do like Murano as it is a car, I don’t like trucks or SUV. Those creatures have no place on highways. At least serving as passenger cars. IMHO.

Recently, I have visited again Germany and rented a car. On previous occasions a lady at the rental agency would always say: you have a great car! It is automatic and has A/C. And I ended up with a Chrysler PT! This time the story was IDENTICAL! So to my surprise I got a MB! Yes, it was class C but C is legendary for its bullet like built and quality. So off I go. Hm, C220, CDi……….meaning 2.2L Diesel engine. OK, let’s try it out. First of all the engine does sound like a diesel and I do not like it. Secondly, the car has a lag, I am not sure it is gearbox or the engine. It is quite annoying in the city, but once it gets going it does go. I think we are taking for granted the sophistication of Murano drive train. So I was anxious how the MB would go on the famous German autobahns. Oh, I forgot to mention the car was equipped with a basic NAV system – small screen, 30 mm x 50 mm. But it was wonderful and guided me perfectly! One more reason to get a car with a NAV system. Too late now for Murano.

So now the autobahn experience – the car did very well. I was driving anything between 100 – 190 kph (60 – 120 mph) and car felt very well. It was just flying. I can however say Murano would fell like that till, I guess 90 mph. Now, I know it is subjective but I do not think we appreciate Murano handling. Oh, and the FX – autobahn is just for this car! It would shine here. No doubt.

No how was the driving experience – I think that autobahns are overrated. I remember it since 80’s and I still think we underestimate our interstates. Most of the autobahns are just two lanes. The slow one for really slow traffic (usually trucks) and the fast one for overtaking. However, I have to say an average interstate driver has no chance on an autobahn. Why? Differential speed! Imagine cars driving at 60 mph at the slow lane and 130 mph at the fast lane. With our domestic heroes talking on the phones, taking notes, doing make up, eating fries, being completely oblivious to surroundings etc. I just cannot see them out there. Not at all.

But I did like it. At least I did not get bored and driving kept me occupied. And I could test what a small 2.2 L, 150 HP diesel engine can do. I reached 190 kph quite quickly and could go faster, however traffic did not allow me and I wanted play it safe.

To give you an idea what the average speed is - when I programmed my destination on the NAV it showed: distance to destination – 286 km, estimated time – 1hr 58 min! So even the NAV says you have to travel 150 kph as an average! Nice! I wish I had FX out there!

Fuel economy – 7l/100 km (35 mpg) driving in city and on autobahns with high speeds.

So what is the conclusion? I love Murano. No doubt. I love CVT with its smooth, silky and FAST acceleration. I do however, miss car handling. Oh, my wf called me. While waiting for FX service she tested M35…..she say it is car for me…….hm…..I would miss my Murano, but who knows. In 2 years time…..oh, and the RWD. I do miss it……..

Will post some pics later today..

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nice 'comparison'.

BTW, I think the M35/45 is one of the best looking cars on the road.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Great review... I remember driving thru northern Italy. It was great cruising at about 140kph on my rental (a cute small SUV like car). not the autobahn, but I don't recall seeing any speed limit signs

I agree, I like the M's a lot too... just a little bit too pricey for me right now... if I only find that Mega Millions winning ticket...

I also think the new Lexus GS is nice too.... I wonder how the M vs. GS would fare.... not to get off topic of course :D The Acura RL is sweet and technologically too... but I mistake it for an accord every time I see one on the road.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Thanks for the update. Enjoy your time in Europe.

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which one would you choose: Mr. Smart or Ferdinand.....:D

Attachments

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was trying to catch up with the Carrera. Unfortunately it was uphill........still this was my speedo....:(

Attachments

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What this bad boy (F150) was doing on an autobahn? And going 100 mph! I guess American Base was close by.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Cool pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts