Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Us new Jerseyans just got about a foot and a half of snow yesterday. I drove my MO up to the local mountain to go snowboarding, (about an hour from my house) in some really really crappy conditions. THE CAR DID AWESOME. I was trying to lose control in the thing but couldnt'. the AWD lock went on and off for me though and does anyone know if there's a limit to how fast you can go in AWD lock???

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
pk7683-

By engaging the AWD LOCK switch you are manually engaging the AWD system, so power is being routed to the rear wheels as long as you stay below 6 MPH.

Once you accelerate over 6 MPH the AWD system will override and ignore the AWD LOCK switch. This is a safety feature built in to the system logic to minimize wear and tear on the AWD components. However, if conditions warrant the system will automatically engage and power will again be routed to the rear wheels.

If you are driving over 6 mph the AWD LOCK switch has no impact on the operation of the AWD system.

By the way, yesterday I drove 150 miles on the snow-covered roads in North Jersey and was very impressed by the sure-footedness of the MO.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i wish we had some snow up here... umm on second thought maybe not. i like how clean the mo is right now :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Drove home during the beginning of the storm late Sat. nitght. The Murano did alright, but I was a bit dissapointed honestly. It was significantly less capable than my old 03 Pathfinder LE was.

These Goodyear LS tires are pretty crummy in the snow in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i completely agree with you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey 762, I had a 94 pathfinder LE, probably was the best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow. Whether it was 1 inch or 2 feet. It had just the right weight, and just the right amount of power to keep the wheels from spinning. Even with 2WD on the car was in a controlled skid whenever i wanted it to be. Boy do I miss that one.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
For the past 10 years I have been driving Jeep Grand Cherokees so I was never worried about venturing out into the snow. The Jeep would handle anything. In fact the only time I got stuck was when I was trying to cross a snow drift that measured 42" deep! Forty-two inches is impossible to traverse unless you have a plow on the front.

Now that I have the Murano I was very curious to see how the it would handle the white stuff compared to the Jeep. Well yesterday I got my chance. I drove a 150 mile round trip to North Jersey, driving mostly on plowed, snow covered roads. Although the roads had been plowed, there was very little pavement showing anywhere. I was pleasantly surprised to see how sure-footed the Mo was. Not once did I feel like the Mo was slipping or moving off the intended line. I know many people hate the GDYs, but I had no problem whatsoever with them. Granted they are only six months old, but they performed flawlessly.

Earlier in the day I drove several miles of unplowed roads (~ 10" of snow) and the MO handled it surprisingly well. I still miss the ruggedness of the drivetrain and low-end torque of the Jeep's V-8, but the MO will not keep me from venturing out in the snow.

All in all I was very pleased with the MO in the snow.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Not taking anything away from the MO, but most front wheel drive cars to well in the snow expecially on plowed roads.

I am impressed as to how well the MO did in heavy rains... AWD or not... it just felt solid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts