Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question... How bad is it to drive with the secondary brake engaged?

I can't believe I did it for the second time now! I forgot to disengage the secondary brake and ended up driving for about 10 minutes until I realized that the dull rattling noise is not normal and looked on the dash. :(

Did I do any permanent damage to my MO?

Cheers,
Amber Jane

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't think you did any damage other than wearing out your rear break pads a little. I'm surprised the wheels didn't lock up while driving. That would have been your first clue the parking brake was engaged.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the thing, the wheels didn't lock up at all which makes me question how effective the secondary brake is in the first place...

In my old car (Subaru Impreza RS) you couldn't drive with the hand brake engaged at all, it would barely crawl, but here my only clue was a slightly dull thudding noise.

Thanks for the reassurance, though. :) I'll definitely try to be more careful in the future!

Cheers,
-Amber Jane

·
5,268 Posts
Interesting,
when the park brake is engaged in my MO I cannot drive. I forgot to disengaged it at least twice but I barely could move the car. The brake is really effective. So either yours is not or you did not engaged it all the way.;)

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm in, I've also done it twice for a short period.:3:
Doesn't seem to be any damage, but I did feel like a dumb shhhhhh.... :(
You guys are helping though, at least I'm not alone. Missery loves company. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
amber, are you pressing the pedal all the way down? Under what circumstances are you using the brake?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I did it on my Chrysler. Twice.
The second time there was no problem.
But the first time I did it, the brakes (Rear of course) overheated and glazed the pads and got so hot the rotors warped and had to be replaced.

These kind of brakes (which are parking brakes and not emergency brakes) are a PITA.

The ONLY way around it is to depress the brake FULLY so that you will be immediatly aware that it is on if you try to drive with it on.
(Or of course, you can elect NOT to use it ever. Not as satisfactory IMO)

The damn thing SHOULD be integrated with the Transmission so that the brake is released automagically when you shift out of park.

And really, a PROPER hand brake should be fitted.

Homer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jetnbye

I'm using the secondary brake (the little pedal to the left of the normal brake) pretty much whenever I park the car. I just don't trust the usual parking brake, especially since the places I drive and leave my car are usually on a slight incline or decline. Even with both brakes engaged, the car shifts slightly when I release the foot brake to get out.

hfelknor

I think that I'm engaging it fully... I press down on it pretty hard, but I suppose I could try doing it more forcefully. What drives me insane is that in my Subaru I had a hand brake and I never forgot to disengage it because it was right there and I could see it, but in the Murano, it's just a little pedal and it's out of my eye-range. Also, if it's sunny, the sun reflects off the dashboard and the word "brake" on the dash isn't as apparent. :(

I know, I know, I'm blaming the car when it's really my fault and I suppose I'll get used to it eventually, it's just so aggravating!

Cheers,
-Amber Jane

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have ritual I use when parking on a grade which puts less stress on the transmission park pin (This is what locks the transmission so that the car dosen't roll).

- Apply the parking brake before placing the transmission into Park, this holds your vehicle in place as if on a level surface.

- When leaving, do it in reverse. Put car in Reverse or Drive, then release the parking brake.

No stress on your transmission park pin!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was taught and have got in the habit of using the parking brake everytime I park the car regardless of whether the ground is level or not. If the ground is level I dont depress it as much. If Im on a hill, I use the method described earlier.

1)Put car into neutral with regular brake on
2)Apply parking brake
3)Release regular brake, if car holds than put car in Park

Usually I go in reverse out of park so if the parking brake is on it is a pretty noticable difference in terms of amount of power needed to move the car.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The rear parking brake on the Murano is an interesting setup. According to the FSM it does not use the normal rear calipers and disc. But it does use a unique drum setup whereby the inside of the rear disc hub has a spring loaded parking brake very similar to a drum brake. So, I doubt you would damage your rear disc brakes, since its not really the same system. If anything, you would have been putting a lot of stress on the AWD system, which sensed the front wheels were moving more freely than the rears, and probably put more power to the rear to compensate!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts