Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 murano with 158k on it. Just recently (past month or so) I've started hearing a drone/hum/whomp noise while driving. Specifically after 40 mph, then seems to disappear around 70 but sometimes it doesn't make the noise at all. I was thinking perhaps a wheel bearing, but I always assumed that a wheel bearing noise would be constant, not intermittent. Some times it does it, some times it doesn't. There doesn't seem to be ANY heat coming from the wheel itself, so it doesn't seem like its caused by friction (brakes, or bearings). It doesn't seem to be affected by turning and shifting the weight of the vehicle. It doesn't get louder as speed increases. I am stumped, and unable to get it to a shop for the next couple of weeks. The noise is driving me nuts. Could it be as simple as tires?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Id say get it on a lift anywhere and just have someone take a look if you dont have the resources just to see if there a potential safety issue, and just pay them for their time, and also be there or close when they do the under car inspection.. Wheel bearings are easy to diagnose. Just getting it up in the air makes it that much easier to eliminate or confirm. Other than that, it's a tough "over the internet" diagnosis without a video or sound capture. Try that with your phone while driving and upload to youtube and share here and you might get others to pipe in. You're also missing necessary details like 2wd versus AWD, skidplates intact, conditions of tires/rims/rotors/serpentine belt/steering noise, etc

·
Registered
212 Posts
If your Murano is still riding on original wheel bearings, I'd say there is high likelihood that the noise is from a failing wheel hub bearing. I had the same noise. It was very difficult to diagnose. I jacked up my Murano and looked for typical symptoms/signs and couldn't find any. Wheel spun freely by hand with no noticeable noise and friction. Everything felt tight without play. But once the weight of the vehicle is on the wheel and when travel at speed, the noise appeared. I changed both front wheel hubs and the noise went away. Food for thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
If your Murano is still riding on original wheel bearings, I'd say there is high likelihood that the noise is from a failing wheel hub bearing. I had the same noise. It was very difficult to diagnose. I jacked up my Murano and looked for typical symptoms/signs and couldn't find any. Wheel spun freely by hand with no noticeable noise and friction. Everything felt tight without play. But once the weight of the vehicle is on the wheel and when travel at speed, the noise appeared. I changed both front wheel hubs and the noise went away. Food for thought. Good luck.
This matches my experience with two failed wheel bearing hubs, nicely explained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts