• I have +/- and never tried DSL

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I have DSL and never tried +/-

Votes: 7 35.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone expressed interest in seeing this stuff again, so I'll throw it up for info...

The net result of this short experiment was that I found I preferred (perhaps personal taste) DSL to having +/- capability, although there was some interesting control with the manual shift.

Why? No thinking with DSL, just bump it from D to S or S to L to force the engine into it's powerband and then slap it back to put it in a more relaxed mode. It always seemed pretty instant as well. With Manual mode, I found (in my short experimentation) that sometimes it waited until it felt like shifting, instead of giving me an instant response.

If you have one, and you want to go to the other, it's as easy as changing the shifter. The transmission's aware of both and just looking for the right electrical connections.

Since I decided not to pursue it further, I never got around to making it pretty. But I did make it work.

For fun, I'll stick a poll on this, for opinions!

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The first (UGLY) trial....

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Building it...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Always having manual cars in the past, and knowing that the SE had a sportier suspension, I was originally wanting the SE. Primarily for the +/- shifting.

Then, when we finally got serious about buying the MO, I rented one for the weekend from Enterprise (a relatively cheap way of making sure that my $30k purchase wasn't going to be a mistake for me). Enterprise ONLY had SL models, but close enough for me.

Driving the SL for a weekend COMPLETELY convinced me that I liked the DSL better. My wife was amazed that I changed my mind so quickly from insisting on an SE to insisting on an SL solely for that reason.

I'm really thankful I spent the extra $150 to try it out, because I still really like the DSL and am very happy with my choice.

·
5,244 Posts
Corin

I understand you completely. The FX has 5 speed auto with manumatic. I tired it. I do not like it. I much prefer DSL. It is amazing how “dynamic” Murano become in Ds mode……….and you do not have to think about shifting…

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I plan to use jaak's diagram and do this mod in the near future. However, realistically I don't see myself using this feature at all. My wife's car has the +/- shifting and except for a couple of tests at the beginning when it was a novelty, and a few times later (to check to see if the functionality was still there!) is not being used either.

But I like to have it just for the sake of having it...because just as the old 300zx ad was saying a few years ago...."you would probably not do it, but you know you could"

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For my schematic, if you hit one of the + or - buttons, it flips into manual mode. Bump the shifter into Ds and it will pull it out of manual mode, into Ds and all is normal again when you shift back into D.

At least that's the way I remember it... I did a few different versions, but I seem to have misplaced the other drawings. I'll take a look later.

I need to double check that schematic as well, as I know there's an updated one... Somewhere...

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL!

Maybe an easier way would be to design a PCB that could be ordered easily. ExpressPCB has a deal, that's pretty good. If the file was created, then it could just be sent in, and they send boards.

It always sucks doing stuff across the border.

Besides, that board is fugly on the back!

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The simple way... But totally manual in selection.

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Losing relays, but not as rugged...

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have not tried the DSL.

+/_ is fun as soon as when knock the lever over from D it increases the revs.

I hardly ever use manual but knock the lever back and forth for overtaking and power.

Would like to have an option for DSL somehow though

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm... That's interesting. Sounds like knocking it into Ds.

If you knock it over there, does it report a gear? And is that gear dependant on how fast you're going?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes it reports a gear and it depends on the speed.

But the effect is always the same no matter what speed. If you are looking for additional revs just knock it over from D and away you go. (it is the same as going from D to S, it hunts for the powerband but with no auto shift)

from a previous post when manual on an auto was a novelty

" Have read a few posts on the weird effect of the CVT when you plant the foot from low revs or a standing start. As I have +/_ shifters I have been playing around with this as I too felt it was bit slow.

If you hold it in 1st, then slip it through the gears the engine revs nicely and you definitely have a sensation of improved acceleration. Have been using +/- up hills and for overtaking it seems like a different car. Great fun !"

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maybe you could do this if you have +/-.

Install a on/off switch. On for S off for D with a wacking great big LED on this switch so you know you have switched it.

Jaak, Do you think this is possible ?

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I thought about that, but I don't want to lose S as it's really a great thing to have. If anything, it would be an awesome mod for +/- to have it go into S instead, when you move it over, and then manual when you hit + or -. (This is quite feasible!)

Then you get the best of both worlds. Although I'd like to have DSL with paddle shifters, as that would really rock! It would be normal DSL until you tip a paddle, then automagically +/- mode.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Once i have read review of audi A4 multitronic. They have tested acceleration from 0-62 mph on normal and sport mode. In normal mode Audi CVT shifts like MO's CVT and in sport it has 7 computer gears. And acceleration in normal was 9,8s and in sport 10,9s (but they felt it was faster then normal because of shifts).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts