Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if it is a Canadian thing but the Dunlop Grand Trek winter tire is available in OEM size 235/65R18.

Anyone tried it yet?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Dunlop Grand Trek winter tires

I finally located these tires through Coast Tire in Fredericton NB last fall and got them installed shortly after winter began. I believe the cost was around $150 each, which is not too bad for a tire with that rare size. I found them to be good in snow and on ice and relatively quiet on pavement. In general, I'm satisfied with them.

I only wish that I could locate some plain, black, steel wheels, so I could have them installed permanently on separate rims. I guess that there aren't enough Muranos around to warrant a production run of these 18" wheels. It can really throw off your tire balance when snow builds up inside the original equipment wheels. It can get so bad that you have to stop and clear out the inside of the wheel with a snowbrush.

Maurice

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered OEM "take-off" wheels that you can have for maybe twice the cost of steel wheels on eBay. Since it was only for winter tires, I picked the 6 spokes SE wheels... :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
SIM said:
I ordered OEM "take-off" wheels that you can have for maybe twice the cost of steel wheels on eBay. Since it was only for winter tires, I picked the 6 spokes SE wheels... :D
I did just the opposite and bought a set of SL take off wheels (from another member here who went with chromes aftermarket) for $400 last fall. Now I have to find a set of snows to mount up on them.

Now I've got a set of SL and SE. Now I wish I could pick up a set of TPMS sending units for the SL wheels for a "reasonable" price.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I, too, have a second set of wheels for snows, and am looking for lower cost TPMS sensors. Perhaps someone knows where they might be available.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, Dunlop also makes another less expensive winter tire in our stock size. It is labeled Dunlop Grand Trek SJ5. The thread looks more agressive and it is probably louder than the WT M3.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
It looks like there is the Dunlop Grandtrek WT M3 in the U.S. and Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5 BSW in Canada. I would say the SJ5 BSW looks more agressive and would probably work better in deep snow.

If the Toyo Proxes S/Ts I have on are terrible in the snow, I'll be putting on the SJ5 BSWs.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tyler, they are both available in Canada. One is more an ice radial (WT MT3) and the other a real all-around winter tire (SJ5). The SJ5 is cheaper and probably is louder than the MT3. This is the one that I picked and it looks really agressive.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the PM Tyler and the thread update. I was quoted C$780.00 for the SJ5 235/65/18, but found it difficult, if not impossible, to get 18" steel rims. Canadian Tire looked up the Murano and said their system recommends a 17 x 7.5" winter rim, 4 1/2 x 5 bolt pattern to utilize a 235/65/17 tire for the Murano. I was given a part number of 09-6000 and a cost of $75 each with two day delivery. Unless I can get some 18" rims reasonably priced, I may go for the 17's. I have called several dealers and get similar answers about availability for Blizzaks and the new Micheilin Latitude X-Ice, not in the near future.

Two options I am considering include:

Nokian Hakkapeliiti SUV 235/65R17 108T, code T443370, 29.1" diameter, 15/32 tread depth, directional pattern, C$205 each installed

Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2 235/65HR17 108H, 29" diameter, 11/32 tread depth, light truck/SUV performance, US(Tirerack) $109 each plus shipping/UPS entry prep ~ $45.00/7% duty/2.7% of duty disbursement fee/7% GST/8% PST/$4.25 COD clearing fee.......If I want I could even add some ASA JHS silver painted alloy rims from Tirerack as part of a package for only $129 each extra, and when you add the option to mount and balance, no extra charge comes up. But the import cost starts to escalate.

One concern I have is, should I buy 5 tires and rims if I go with 17" since my diameter will be slightly under? If I get a flat and need to use the 18" spare (short term) how will that affect the wheel slippage sensors that measure tire rotation for the AWD?

The last option is to buy some new 18" snows, mount them on the OEM rims, and buy a new 18" wheel package in the spring.:8:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get OEM take-off wheels for almost the same price as steel wheels on eBay. That's what I did.

·
Registered
180 Posts
350Z DNA

SIM, for whatever reason I had not thought about that as an option until you mentioned it. I have had good success on Ebay in the past, and was able to snag these tonight. Four 2003 350Z 17" OEM rims, 2 of them 17 x 7.5, 2 of them 17 x 8, 5 x 4 1/2 pattern, not sure of the offset. Brand new for under US $400 plus shipping. I plan to buy 17" snows and the kicker is now I have 350Z DNA...........

:2:

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice wheels! Glad you found what you were looking for...

·
Registered
719 Posts
350Z rims for a Murano?

I bet they're not engineered to carry the loaded weight of the Murano (~4000) vs the 350Z (~3200)?

I'd be carefull with those Z wheels on the Murano!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I do not think the difference in weight would be a factor at all. I have never seen aluminum rims sold with weight limits posted. Let me know if I am wrong. In my opinion, I would think it would always be wise to look for the strength in the "spokes" when loads are a concern, which is what I did with these. Plus, with the 350Z OEM 7 "spoke" design as opposed to Murano's OEM 5 "spoke" the load is distibuted much more evenly on the rim. My only concern is clearance, and I have forwarded my concerns to Nissan Canada through my dealership yesterday to confirm suitability. If they tell me no chance, I will re-sell them. I will post the resuts here, thanks for your input. :)

P.S. The dealer in Toronto is selling the same aftermarket 17" rim for the Murano and 350Z for anyone looking for winter rims. I do not know what type, but he said he had one on display, C$250 each, much more than I paid for the brand new 350Z rims off eBay.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I don't think Nissan Canada's opinion will be what you want to hear. If the offset is 35 or less, They should work fine. I use 17s with a 25 offset for my winter tires.

·
Registered
719 Posts
MO in TO said:
I do not think the difference in weight would be a factor at all. I have never seen aluminum rims sold with weight limits posted. Let me know if I am wrong. In my opinion, I would think it would always be wise to look for the strength in the "spokes" when loads are a concern, which is what I did with these. Plus, with the 350Z OEM 7 "spoke" design as opposed to Murano's OEM 5 "spoke" the load is distibuted much more evenly on the rim. My only concern is clearance, and I have forwarded my concerns to Nissan Canada through my dealership yesterday to confirm suitability. If they tell me no chance, I will re-sell them. I will post the resuts here, thanks for your input. :)

P.S. The dealer in Toronto is selling the same aftermarket 17" rim for the Murano and 350Z for anyone looking for winter rims. I do not know what type, but he said he had one on display, C$250 each, much more than I paid for the brand new 350Z rims off eBay.
I had asked a similar question about using the 17" factory wheels from my 00 Maxima SE on the Murano for snow tires and was told in absolute terms by Nissan, Tire Rack, and Discount Tires that ALL factory OEM wheels are specifically engineered to carry only the weight of the vehicle they are sold with originally, nothing more within a small allowable variance.

Now I suppose it's entirely possible that they're all just trying to sell me new wheels, hence the consistent message, but I thought I'd just pass on what I was told, what what it's worth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All,

I bought the Dunlop grand Trek SJ5's. I live in Pittsburgh Pa and we had some snow. The SJ's are terrific. I could not get the Mo to spin even when I tried. The Mo acted as if was on a dry road. I got the tires at 1010 Tire in British Columbis for $132 American. They are much cheaoer that the Tire Rack and the tires were made in Japan. I recommend them!

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
**Offtopic***
Ah! Another Stiller fan among us?!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just put the SJ5's on and, at least so far, am impressed. They ride smoother, are noisier, stop much better on ice and generally instill a feeling of cornering confidence that I do not have with the stock tire.

According to the Dunlop website they are truck winter tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts