Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that the Zainos seems to attach more dust than other polishes (such as wax). Anyone have this problem?

RZ

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Found this on their website:

Q: I'd like to try out Zaino polish, what's the minimum I should try?

A: You need minimally ZFX or Z-1 (ZFX is better), Z-2, and a 314 Polish Applicator pad. I would also order Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray to keep your car dust free and looking beautiful. Z-6 is used between coats of Z-2 to provide enhanced gloss. If you wash your car yourself, pick up some Z-7 as well.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Though there has been some controversy over this, there was a post a while back at my 'other' home (S2KI.com) where some guy put Zaino on the left half of his car and Mother's CA Gold on the right. After a drive through some dusty conditions, the Zaino side of his black car looked grey with dust while the CA Gold side was still black. I tried to find the thread but I guess it's long gone.

I definitely notice the dust buildup on my S2K (which sits in the garage all week) but I live with it and/or detail spray it (again, with Zaino).

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Look if Zaino is a problem call Sal Zaino, the president of Zaino.

His phone number is on his web site.

I suppose if you had a problem with Mother's you could call a CSR, but that's just not the same.

I was going to stay out of this thread. There is so much BS about waxes and polishes out there it's just not worth the effort.

But let's put it this way, I have won trophys and ribbons showing cars over the past 10 years. If you have ever been to the big Corvette show at the Texas State Fair, you have probably seen me. 1988 Corvette 35th Anniversary Special, First place 1998 Street division
If you have been to the Concours de Elegance in Vero Beach recently, you may have seen me. 1999 Miata, First Place 2000 "Driver Division - Late Model".

MANY show cars (Late model) use Zaino.
We in the show car "business" would never use a wax or a polish that attracts dust. The very thought that we would is absurd.

So what should you do if you don't get the results that other people say they are getting?
Call Sal Zaino.
1-732-833-8800
Ask for Sal if he doesn't answer.
Don't be put off by his accent or his mannerisms.
He's a New Joisey boy and talks funny.
But he will fix your problem, because Zaino does not have a "dust problem".

Homer

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
i was thinking (bad idea, i know) that maybe there's a static charge created by wiping/polishing, therefor causing a particle (dust) attraction...

other than that, if all your car has is dust on it, you're quite fortunate..... (it rains 9 days a week here in clearwater, as of late)

·
Registered
117 Posts
that is a great link, thanks for posting.

I am not too surprised by the results.

but its great too see it all layed out like that.

-Nerf

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Called Sal Zaino and directed him to the link.
He laughed.

Some of his thoughts.
Dust can only be "attracted" by static electricty. Dust can be "held" for instance by an oily finish, but not attracted.
Zaino most certainly is not oily. There is no oil of any kind in Z.
Zaino can be scientifically proven to be an "anti Staic", as Z6, which is effectivly a diluted Z2, is sold under a private label to a large hospital chain as an "anti Static Computer Monitor" spray.
(Seems like anybody interested in the anti static properties of Zaino could put a coat of z1/z2 on their computer monitor and see what happens. Or if you have the z6, then you now know that it is sold as an Anti Static spray.)

The Malms is very likely not on the hood. Malms and other carnauba waxs are made up of Carnauba, bees wax, parifin wax and oils. (Carnauba wax cannot be "spread". It is hard and brittle at nominal temps)
At a ambient temp of 115 degrees (very common for Death Valley) the hood temp of a black car can easily reach 250 degrees.
The combination of waxes and oils would boil away in about 15 minutes. That's one of the reasons why, after washing the Mercedes, the tester decided to remain with Zaino. It was still there under the dirt.

As to why the "zaino" side was dirtier than the "malms" side.....
Sal said he would rather not speculate.
He has tested against Malms many times and has never lost.
His formulation is Anti Static. He was very insistent about this. It's not even "neutral", it's anti static. (And BTW it's also rated the highest against UV.)
He also mentioned that in every case of a customer problem (Including the guys over at the GuruReports) the customer has not understood or has failed to follow the instructions properly.

To amplify this even further, right this moment, Sal and his people are in the process of testing "Microfiber" as a way to apply/remove ZAino.
He is doing this because some people have tried it and are touting on internet chat boards that it is superior to his recommended Made in America 100% cotton towels.
But not everybody following the advice of chat boards about the Microfiber are happy with the results and are complaining that Z has scratched their cars. Well of course, Z can not scratch a car.
What Sal has found so far is that a really well made microfiber cloth IS good. But he is also finding the QA terrible. He was looking at one brand as I called, that has 4 poorly made cloths out of 10. Recipe for disaster folks.
And BTW there is "some" indication that Micro fiber, being a synthetic, CAN cause static electricty when rubbed on a car.......

But his position has never changed. If you don't like Zaino, don't use it. If you like Malms, then use it.

He has asked me to ask the board to refrain from any flame wars.
He pointed out that I have used Zaino for more than 10 years and have never had a dust problem and my word has never been impugned on any auto chat board.

I think his position is the correct one to take.

Homer

BTW, Z1/2 or Z6 is good for tv screens too/ but not the "scored" screens on rear projection sets, only "smooth" glass or plastic screens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts