Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some input on the importance of the dynamic control package.

Desired vehicle is an SL with touring package. I also want the dynamic control package because I've read several articles lately that indicate that it is a good option to have. I'm having trouble finding Mos with dynamic traction control (doesn't seem to be a popular option here).

Do not need AWD (wet streets in the deep south, but minimal snow once every 10 years whether we need it or not) and would have trouble finding one even if I wanted it. Dealers w/in 100 miles just don't stock them.

Absolutely do not want/will not pay for chrome wheels, DVD/entertainment system, nav system, or sat radio. Other options like floormats, cargo protector, splash guards, and sunroof wind deflector don't matter because they can be added easily if missing.

I'm not having any problems finding Mos in acceptable colors (not black or white) with the touring package and some or all the "small" options I want, but few have traction control.

I need input on the pros and cons of dynamic traction control.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Living here in Washington area (East coast), we are in strange category, we get moderate snow and 1 in million drivers here knows how to really drive in snow. 1" of snow forecast, and there is panic everywhere.

So for me, dynamic control was the FIRST MUST have criterion, above color, above SL/SE selection. I had to get it even at the cost of getting and paying for certain options that I did not care about.

But down south there is less 'value' to it. May be that is why no dealer stocks it. But I think, dynamic contol is no less valueable and usefull in heavy downpour, or in condititions of pavement covered with wet leaves (have read these are even worst than snow).

So, if you care about the safety factor, I agree with you.

May be you have to check the dealers stocks up north in the snow belt and get it transported there or even better get it here and drive home back.

You can check the dealers stock at www.nissanusa.com

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CVeeT,

The dealers here don't carry AWD, but some have some cars in stock with dynamic traction control. In fact, there's one at a dealership about 80 miles from me that has all the options I want and nothing extra, but they appear to be into playing games. Gave me a price of $100 below invoice, plus tax, title, license, and FEES. When I e-mailed back about how much the fees are, I didn't get a reply back.

Two other nearby dealers (both of which have the Nissan customer first logo) are filling to sell for $300 to $500 over invoice, plus tax, title, and license, with no additional fees.

One has offered to get the vehicle that's exactly what I want from the dealer that has it. This is the dealer I bought my Xterra from. Didn't like the sales experience, but have been happy with the service department.

I'm trying to decide whether to compromise on the traction control, or do what it takes to get what I want. Thanks for your input on the traction control. My gut feeling is that it's a good thing.

·
4,664 Posts
Just to clarify, there are two elements to the system.

Traction Control will modify how your Murano will respond in poor traction conditions, to get you going. It does this with engine control and possibly some brake control.

Vehicle Dynamic Control also includes a yaw sensor and can tell if the vehicle is changing velocity in a manner that is not normally desirable, like starting to fishtail, slide or spin sideways and will, if pushed, agressively control your brake system, each wheel separately, to straighten out the vehicle.

I've not pushed one, equipped, but a crazy friend of mine with the 2004 Maxima's version says it works extremely well. So much so, he has to turn it off when he's purposely trying to slide through corners as it tries to make him go straight. Not always desirable, but remember this is not under normal driving conditions. When not being aggressively pushed, he's detected the system quietly "helping" the vehicle in poor weather and really likes it.

TC get's you going in bad weather. But it won't stop you. ABS helps stop you. VDC could potentially save your life in a bad situation.

I will get VDC on my next Murano, I expect. Just because it appears to be such a well engineered system.... And I've yet to hear one single complaint about it, in all the time I've been watching this and other Murano forums! (And you know, we miss nothing around here....);)

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jaak,

Thanks for the input. The dealer that doesn't have any vehicles with DTC claims that it can strand you in the middle of an intersection if you accelerate too quickly.

I think he may be saying that because he doesn't have anything in stock with DTC but he does have a vehicle that is exactly what I want except that it doesn't have DTC. He's planning to have me test-drive that vehicle and I think he thinks that I'll like it so much that I'll compromise on the DTC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A perspective from another person in the South:

I have heard a lot of good things about VDC. However, given the conditions we have here, and the lower probability of "needing" the capabilities of VDC (as against "wanting it"), and the problems finding one in stock with VDC, and the extra cost (not a big factor), I decided to go in for an SL without VDC.

I have been very happy with its handling and braking capabilities and ABS. I am sure VDC adds to these capabilities, but given all the above, I am OK without having it.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dij said:
Jaak,

Thanks for the input. The dealer that doesn't have any vehicles with DTC claims that it can strand you in the middle of an intersection if you accelerate too quickly.
I have heard lot of lies and misrepresetions from car sales man, but this is exceptional.

This lie is not only FUNNY, but describes it diagrammaticaly opposite.

·
4,664 Posts
Ask him if he's willing to put it into writing. If you don't get it and then you get into an accident where potentially it may have helped you, having it in writing would be helpful for your lawyer.;)

Seriously though, for me, with AWD I find the Traction Control unecessary. While I can force the wheels to spin in bad weather (WHOOO HOOOO this is fun!!!!), I can't honestly say that I have ever needed traction control. Now if you're getting FWD, it's different, as the rear wheels aren't going to help.

The VDC? It works so well, from what I've seen, I'd go for it, if you can get it at a reasonable price. It's not absolutely necessary, as I assume you've been driving fine without it, but if you want it, tell him it's your way, or perhaps he could let you look in his phone book for the next closest Nissan dealer.:4:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
When I purchased my Murano VDC was a must have option for me. It will probably save your life in an unexpected moment, even on a clear dry day. For $750 I thought it was a bargain.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jaak,

One of the reasons to get rid of the perfectly good Xterra with 36K on it (four and a half years old) is for safety features like the additional airbags and VDC.

The dealer who made the "interesting" claim about VDC has said that I can test-drive a Mo just like the one I want, but without VDC, and if I need more time, I can take one home, and if I really want the one with VDC, he will get it from the dealer that has it.

I hate car shopping, which explains why I tend to keep vehicles four or more years... At least with internet shopping, there's less hassle and the sales people know they are going to have a tough time putting something over on you.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Dij said:
Jaak,

One of the reasons to get rid of the perfectly good Xterra with 36K on it (four and a half years old) is for safety features like the additional airbags and VDC.

The dealer who made the "interesting" claim about VDC has said that I can test-drive a Mo just like the one I want, but without VDC, and if I need more time, I can take one home, and if I really want the one with VDC, he will get it from the dealer that has it.

I hate car shopping, which explains why I tend to keep vehicles four or more years... At least with internet shopping, there's less hassle and the sales people know they are going to have a tough time putting something over on you.
Personally I would not drive a Murano without VDC if I wanted to have a VDC Murano. The dealer sounds like he is saying whatever he can think of to convince you buy a non VDC model. Dont' let the dealer use the old trick "the feel of the wheel, seals the deal" on you.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eric,

And the other dealer has two that are right except they are black. I know there are lots of people who think black

(and white -- uh, glacier pearl) are lovely colors, but I'm not into washing my vehicle all that often and I have to drive on a gravel driveway almost every weekend, so "dirt" colors (silver, gold, pewter) are better choices. Actually, I'd prefer blue, but blue is pretty much the same as black. I don't really like any of the colors, it's just that I dislike some less than others.

The dealer with the black ones has said anything he has for invoice plus $299, tax, title, license, no fees.

And if my coworker really wants my X, I can avoid the trade-in shuffle, but I don't know whether I could get everything together by next Wednesday when the 2.9% financing ends.

·
4,664 Posts
Eric L. said:
When I purchased my Murano VDC was a must have option for me. It will probably save your life in an unexpected moment, even on a clear dry day. For $750 I thought it was a bargain.
I agree completely, for $750 anyone should get it. But in Canada :3: it was a $7,000 option, because it was SL without it, or SE loaded with everything except Nav to get it.

I would not hesitate to get it for $750.... I'd highly recommend it!

·
Registered
564 Posts
On the TCS - the dealer is feeding you bullsh!t. I have TCS on my Olds minivan. The way it works is that the system reads the drive wheels and if one of the wheels slips, power is reduced to the slipping wheel. If both wheels are slipping, power is correspondingly reduced to both. Power feeds back to the wheels once the slippage is no longer detected. This system will hardly leave you "stranded."

BTW - the only time I experienced due slip in the Mid-Atlantic was while trying to climb an inclined driveway covered in snow and ice. I have never had this problem while pulling from a traffic light, even in snow. Even then, the problem is not incurable. The simple fix for this problem is to hit the TCS deactivation button so the wheels, while slipping somewhat, will still get the vehicle going forward (that is, unless you are hopelessly stuck to begin with!).

Jim

·
4,664 Posts
The only negative I have on the TC is when you purposely want to take the wheels to the edge of traction and know how to control this effectively, it will interfere. Like sliding through a corner, and the VDC, these systems are set up for normal driving, not pseudo rally driving, so otherwise they're fabulous.

I would turn off the TC in mildly slippery weather e.g. rain, on the 2000 Maxima, as it would cut the engine too much when I gassed it from a stop, while making a left turn. It was annoying, but I could also bring the tires to the limit of adhesion on my own.

If you can relate, be happy with the off button for those odd occasions. If you have AWD, it won't happen. If you can't relate, you'll be delighted with the system.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jaak,

A rally-style driver, I am not <g>. Not pokey, but am not generally pushing the envelope, either. I suspect that I would not run into problems.

·
4,664 Posts
I'd say 99% of us would love it, and the other 1 % would love it 99% of the time...:p

·
Registered
758 Posts
VDC

I think if you really want it you should have it. I would have loved to have gotten it and should have considered more thoroughly before I bought my Murano. If you and your buddy who is going to by your Xterra can wait a little while, have the dealer order it in exactly the configuration you want. You should be able to get it below invoice and he will still make a profit because the car will not be sitting on the lot while dealer is making interest payments on it.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sean,

Or the price will go up on the one that's ordered... (and they might not have to pay interest on the one they order for me, but they've had to pay interest on one I might have bought instead.)

There is one at a nearby dealer that's exactly like I want, so if I decide to buy, one of the dealers I'd rather deal with can get it for me. Actually, one of the dealers has two, but they are black. The other dealer says there are several in Houston (about 250-300 miles away) with the options I want, in different colors.

I'm waffling now. A paid-for vehicle that isn't having problems is a good thing...

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I was also having the debate about the VDC package. I want cloth seats, but you can't get the VDC package unless you have the touring package, which upgrades you to leather. I don't want leather.

So, arguing back and forth with the dealer on this point was interesting. I convinced him to let me take a MO out with the VDC package to see exactly how it helps. We went to a parking lot on a rainy day (nice slippery conditions) and I proceeded to slide that MO around all over the place. :2: You can turn the VDC on or off, so I was able to test it both ways and compare.

Here's my verdict: It definitely helps when pushing the vehicle at the limits. How much? Well, I personally feel that the MO handles VERY well without it, but if you're in an emergency situation or regularly drive hard, it can significantly improve the stability of the vehicle (traction control is nice, but not necessary if you really learn how to handle your car in slippery conditions).

So here's what I have decided (and recommend):
IF you want the touring package anyway, it's worth the $650 (US invoice price) to upgrade. HOWEVER, if you have to upgrade to the touring package to get this option, and the primary reason to get the touring package is to get the VDC package, then it's not worth it.

Ask your dealer if you can take one out and do what I did. It's a great learning experience, and very fun! :D

I'm hoping that they change the packaging options on the 2005 to allow the VDC without the touring.

~ Corin (sorry for the long-winded reply)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts