Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Hidden hitch sites on web offer the hitch with free shipping. Much cheaper.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
The MURANO DOES NOT SUPPORT A CLASS 3 HITCH.....

if you put a Class III on the MO , you are asking for big troubles..
(I would suspect it would void your warrenty, whether or not you even towed anything with it... Eg. putting ay hitch on a honda civic voids the warrenty )

The MO only supports a CLASS 2, (3500 lbs) which is cheaper to buy as well.. (plus the Ebay ad did not list the manufacturer, so I'd be very carefull)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
from hidden hitch.net - free shipping on any order over $100
2004 NISSAN MURANO

Part # Price IT Packaging Class SW WT
90073 $119.00 30 Hidden Hitch - Class II, 1-1/4'' Receiver, Includes Draw bar, Pin & Clip and Receiver Cover
3,500 LBS. GTW / 300 LBS. TW 31824 5!! MORE INFO
Picture in the first post won't fit a MO . Mount is all wrong. Compare to the hidden hitch instructions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where would I find if putting a Class III hitch voids my warranty? I'm concerned about that.

While I know that I'll never be able to use the extra towing capacity of a Class III hitch, I do know that there are several items that use the Class III hitch.

I ride motocross and want to be able to tote my bike. motojackrack.com makes a lightweight device that slips into a Class III hitch and lets me haul up to 300 lbs. In the MO manual, they claim a tongue weight max of 350lbs. If you add up the weight of the hitch, the motojack rack, and my bike all gased up, you get about 320lbs. This puts me under the Murano weight rating.

So ya, don't think you can put a Class III on your MO and pull a horse trailer. If you do, the MO will pull over to the side of the rode and the CVT will actually unhook itself from the car and hitchhike home. But there are some cool hitch mount items (saw a hitch mount tailgater BBQ grill on the Today show last fall) that need the girth of a Class III receiver to work.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Class III hitch is "prima facie" evidence of HD towing. If you have a class III hitch and tear up the transmission, the dealer will say you must have exceeded the limit therefore no warranty.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
ekaxel said:
Class III hitch is "prima facie" evidence of HD towing. If you have a class III hitch and tear up the transmission, the dealer will say you must have exceeded the limit therefore no warranty.
That is an excellent point.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
hmmmm.....
was looking into This and was kind of surprized that it may be a liability to my warranty. I guess I might look into the hidden alternative. I wasn't planning on hauling much but knew that I always end up havin to cart something home that won't fit in the MO.

I used to have a dually with a drawtite hitch and a 850 pound tongue weight receiver for a camper and I know da MO was never meant to haul massive weight. It would be nice however to be able to haul an occasional sofa or something. The 2" is stout enough for the bike racks etc so I was leaning in that direction---but if it truely represents warranty voiding, humph, thats something I wanna stay away from!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Since my last post, I've gone an alternative route. I bought and installed the Nissan hitch for my Mo. Its a Class II, but with a 2 inch hole.

Also, it claims a trongue weight of 350 instead of 300lbs. Since I was running pretty close to 300lbs by the time I put my bike and bike carrier on there (motocross bike), I like that the stock one 1. doesn't void my warranty and 2. hauls a little more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts