Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've read where the fuel overflows http://nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1052 but thrice now I've had the problem where the the pump's automatic fuel shutoff kicked in too early.

Last night it was on a pump with the vapor recovery nozzle with integral remove-shutoff (you know, where the vapor recovery...erm.."foreskin" needs to be pulled up before you can start fueling).

I only put in about a gallon and it clicked stop. Pulling the lever again didn't work. Removing the nozzle and putting it back in didn't work. Pushing the nozzle all the way in didn't work. Pulling the nozzle part way out (without kicking the removal cutoff) worked slightly- say for about a pint of gas. And rotating the nozzle ninety degrees actually worked for about seven gallons at a time- maybe I got tired of holding the thing rotated and let it drift back.

I guess this could be related to the ORVR mentioned in the above thread or even the pump itself, though it has happened at more than one pump and hasn't happened for me at all before on different cars and motorcycles, even at the same station (can't say it was the same pump- damn high octane requirement).

No, I'm just wondering if anyone else here has had the same problem or knows more about it. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I would assume that the same gas station uses the same pressure threshold for pump shutoff on all its pumps. Perhaps your station just has sensitive sensors. If it happens at other gas stations too, then I would take it to the dealer, although I am not sure what you can do to show them other than drive with a tech to the gas station and prove to them it shuts off early.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's happened at a couple of gas stations. I was wondering if anyone would chime in with any insight to this problem such as possibly the EVAP vapor cut valve (mentioned in the previously referenced thread) would stick in wet weather and cause a fuel shutoff. Or maybe someone noticed that the fuel filler was a funky shape and that's why rotating the nozzle seemed to fix the problem.

Of course, this doesn't consistently happen, so trying to show it to the dealer definitely isn't going to work. And they aren't going to know anything about the problem if no one here has heard of it.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
You have a good idea there. I do believe that Nissan's evap valves tend to stick in wet weather (mine got gunked with mud once and tripped teh check engine light). I would suggest hosing off the entire evap canister area if possible (the area in the left rear wheel well, behind the gas tank).

I realize this is like a shot in the dark but its worth a try. I would be very annoyed if my gas pump shut off every 1 gallon!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Eric L. said:
I would be very annoyed if my gas pump shut off every 1 gallon!
I second that.

My Mother had the exact same issue. It would take her forever to fill her tank. Her car was/is a Tuarus. I searched and it was definitely an isolated issue. Her dealer did go with her to a gas station and she was easily able to replicate the problem, as it always happened. They ended up replacing the tube into the gas tank. It was kinked. I have no idea how it got kinked, but since replacing it, the car fuels up just fine. Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts