Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering doing my oil changes myself as I don't trust any dealers work (lots of experience here!).

Does anybody know where the best place is to jack up the front end with a floor jack? Is it easy to get to the oil filter?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Venams03 - if you plan on doing your own oil changes and other maintence, I strongly recommend investing in a set of ramps. So much safer than a floor jack and easier to use as well. Oil filter easy to reach from underneath....if its the factory installed oil filter, could be difficult to remove...you will need an oil filter wrench...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I change my own oil. For just an oil and filter change, .tThere is no need to raise the car. Just squirm under there and off ya go.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Question...

Not to scare you or anything, and I am sure this has come up in the past, but how do you prove these oil changes and other maintenace services performed at home have been done if and when a warranty question comes up? I understand Nissan requires service records before authorizing engine and transmission warranty work.

·
Registered
842 Posts
venams03 said:
I am considering doing my oil changes myself as I don't trust any dealers work (lots of experience here!).

Does anybody know where the best place is to jack up the front end with a floor jack? Is it easy to get to the oil filter?
I also change my own oil but there is so much clearance underneath the MO I have never had to lift it off the ground. The oil filter can be reached by turning the front wheels had to the right and moving the plastic shield to get a good grip on the filter. To ensure that you will have no problem changing the filter I highly recommend that you wipe the surface of the oil filter mating ring on the engine. Before you put the new filter on to the engine, put a light coat of wheel bearing grease or new engine oil on the rubber gasket, this will ensure that the rubber gasket will not stick when you change it out again.

I have been doing this since high school I have never had a filter that sticks to the engine.

When you by your filters from the dealer they will probaly supply copper washers for the oil pan drain plug(mine does), you should change the washer everytime you change the oil, however, this can be left to every 2nd oil change. The oil pan drain plug is a 13MM wrench size and is easy to remove.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Re: Question...

zebelkhan said:
Not to scare you or anything, and I am sure this has come up in the past, but how do you prove these oil changes and other maintenace services performed at home have been done if and when a warranty question comes up? I understand Nissan requires service records before authorizing engine and transmission warranty work.
When I change my oil I always log the mileage in a book wuth the type of oil and whether or not the filter was changed (I use Mobil 1) I have for each of my cars. I log all my oil changes, brake pad changes and any other work that I do. This should be accepted by any dealer as I had this happen once to me and the car rep took my notes for the warranty. When the time comes to sell your car and buyer will look at your car with respect knowing what maintenace has been done on the car.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I also change my own oil but there is so much clearance underneath the MO I have never had to lift it off the ground.
Which brings back the million dollars question... How the hell could you bend that tranny scoop?!? :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Easy to do oil change myself

SIM said:

Which brings back the million dollars question... How the hell could you bend that tranny scoop?!? :)
My wife did one when she ran over a parking block and I did it when I hit a low spot on a ramp into a high school parking lot. I order a new air scoop which cost $65. Ouch

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Question...

zebelkhan said:
I ask the service manager at the dealer I purchased my MO from (via e-mail) and his response was as long as you keep receipts for the oil and filter purchases and keep a log with the date, mileage, etc. you won't have any warranty problems. I printed and saved the e-mail he sent me for backup proof in case I ever have an issue.

As others have said, oil change is easy each time once you get the original factory installed filter off. I also use genuine Nissan oil filters (about $6).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a new 03 Murano. The first thing I did when I got it home was drop the oil in favor of synthetic. Everything that has been said above is correct.

I've always made it a practice to staple the receipt for the oil and filters that I buy right into the maintenance manual so that there is no doubt as to what was used and when. It always passed muster with GM dealers (hope I didn't use a bad word on this site).

I noticed that no one answered his original question though, just where is the right place to lift one of these Muranos, and how would one set the vehicle on jack stands for tire rotations or brake work? I'm just curious as to what some of you people do.

Pearl:cool:

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Pearl you said...

I just bought a new 03 Murano
You can still find a *new* 03 murano around?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
It seems that I remember a device that you could use to suck the oil up from pan thru the dip stick, that way you only have to change the filter and not remove / open the drain plug, Was that tru and are they still around ? I always wait till first change befor changing to Mobile 1 lets the engine polish a bit more.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
1. I never remember, but I am pretty sure the oil pan plug is bigger than 13mm
2. Since my filters are on top of the erngine, I never have had ti jack it up or use the ramps.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Stoker, you don't only need back up sensors but underneath sensors as well if you're gonna let your wife drive your MO! :2:

·
Registered
416 Posts
GripperDon - that "suck oil thru dipstick" system is true...it was designed for "changing" oil on I/O boats...the tubing goes down the dipstick tube - the pump attaches to a 1/4" drill...they can be purchased at any large sized marina...

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
THANKS, I'll see if I can find a large Marina here in Arizona :D

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
GripperDon said:
THANKS, I'll see if I can find a large Marina here in Arizona :D
If you really want one, I have a new one sitting in my garage which I will be happy to send you.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts