Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Easy TV on NAV Screen?

I was rummaging around the factory repair manual to find a cheap, quick easy way to have a DVD or whatever show on the NAV screen and thought I would throw this out and see if I can get some discussion going.

Please look on Page 129 of the Audio Video section of the manual "AV-NAV1-106"

Notice the rear view camera, feeding the Rear view Camera control module, which directly feed the NAV Screen. The activation is shown .

Now here is the thought:

1. False trigger the rear View camera activation circuit, (one switch of 12VDC in at point 4 and that is done)

2. Now that the Rear Cam Module is active, have a 2 way SPST relay connected to placed at the rear view camera control box output. (just remove the side panel in the rear of the MO on the passenger side in the stowage area, easy to get to no dash removals, etc.) The normal closed position 1 connects the rear view camera and works as now. When you flip the False activation switch in step 1 is also activates the relay and closes it into position B and that where you connected any composite video signal you want, (another camera, a TV, A DVD player, Computer composite output) This is point 10

Lets say its a computer output, Now run GPS, programs, whatever on the computer)

AWAY we Go!!! Please pick this idea apart, add to it, make it practable and we have a lot of neato opportunities.

·
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any body have reply's ?

Zebelkhan

Can you tell me about those screen on the carputer I love that interface. What Do I have to do to get that interface, I love it Will it run on a PC platform> Do I have to buy some particular hardware beacuse it't hardwired in. Finally whose XM tuner is it using? Going now to read everything you have posted on this subject.

·
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Schematics to help

Attachments

·
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE Camera Output

Would you think it is reasonable to think the RV Camera has a Composite Output?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: Any body have reply's ?

GripperDon said:
Zebelkhan

Can you tell me about those screen on the carputer I love that interface. What Do I have to do to get that interface, I love it Will it run on a PC platform> Do I have to buy some particular hardware beacuse it't hardwired in. Finally whose XM tuner is it using? Going now to read everything you have posted on this subject.
I am assuming you are referring to the "front End" I am using on my PC. These FEs are programs created for free (donations are accepted) by folks at www.mp3car.com. Here is the link to the software area where you can find them all:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60

They are all for PC platforms and are designed to work with touch sceens. However they do just fine with mouse and keyboard too! Many run them on carputers, but there are aslo those that use them on laptops and desktops too.

The most popular FEs are FrodoPlayer, Road Runner, and Cetrafuse in that order. I have the first two on my carputer and switch between the two whenever one gets updated! Each offer support for their own certain functionalities but they all support common things like MP3, DVD, and GPS.

For XM, there are only certain tuners that can work with a PC, XM Direct by Terk is one of them. The forum members have designed a cable to connect the tuner to the PC too.

So check out the mp3car.com forums and let me know if you want me to post direct link to the download site for any of them.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: RE Camera Output

GripperDon said:
Would you think it is reasonable to think the RV Camera has a Composite Output?
To my knowledge they are all composite...

·
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would appreciate it IF...

You could supply the info where to find the Cable info etc. for the XM Direct Terk to the laptop.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: I would appreciate it IF...

GripperDon said:
You could supply the info where to find the Cable info etc. for the XM Direct Terk to the laptop.

Thanks!
I bought my cable from member "BoyNextDoor" for I think $12 plus shipping. pm him and he would be happy to make you one. If not, the following link will show you how to make one yourself:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41001

Regarding your previous post and direct connectivity to the Navigation screen on the MO, I don't think that is possible for those without rear camera because from what I understans the nav screen is not VGA. I remember generator was saying something about that. However, I don't know much about these things so I could be wrong. For those with rear camera, I suppose you could tap into the system "as you have described via the switch that tricks the camera to come on" and feed composite output of the computer to it, but I am not sure if picture quality is going to be there. But these are all guesses on my part as I am not sure.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Sorry Don, I have no knowledge on video stuff.....

I got my kid's PC to work on his TV yesterday (his monitor croaked)--Hi rez games are great, but normal docs are rough. He is thrilled to play on a 26" screen now. lol
That is about all I am good for when it comes to video schtuff. Never really messed with it.
:(

·
Registered
94 Posts
tried this stuff and whole lot more......got switch to trigger but got only blank screen......im trying somthing else ....if it works ill let u know.

·
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HAve a couple of questions:

What did you feed into the Rear Camera Controller instead of the rear camera.

When you said a blank screen

Did you get snow, a raster, OR black.

If Black Screen how did you know you had triggered the camera module?

Did you ever try to feed some other composite input into the camera input
while in reverse by unplugging the Rear View Camera and substituting something else?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used reverse switch relay to manually activate rear view camera function (i had to do it twice since first time display changed from 'D' to 'R' but second time i got the relay which triggers rearview cam) any way blank image was like there was a signal but was not recognized I believe if i get right refresh rate I can get it to work. I have most input open as of now and tried dvd player xbox and ps2 now im trying a laptop but need extra harness so i might have to make one. Hopefully this weekend I can get somthing. Thanks for giveing the idea if this works it should be cheapest and cleanest alternative.

·
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Digital

It looks to me like we need to input the new Video inputs Prior to the Rear View Cam control module. Also I thing we need to have to put in the reverse signal to the Infotainment system as well.

That way the it will send a revers signal to the Rear view camera control module I think we need to have all the modules active in order to get the right frequency composite signal generated from the raw video outputted by the Rear View Camera It's self for input to Display and have the Display itself switch from MAp or whatever it's doing to go to the Rearview camera.

I think this can be tested by simply substituing another "Single Lead Video as a Test Rear view Camera, AND putting the car into reverse.

If a substitute video input works Then the generation of a false reverse signal can be accomplished.

By

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
If this works, you can put a automatic Audio/video source switcher (walmart sells one for $30 and it is Composit in - composite out AND a 12 v system). I have one at home and it works great. One channel is priority so whenever it has a signal it switches to that (Rear View Camera?). If no signal there, it automatically selects the one that does have a signal - You can have up to 4 inputs....:)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Definitely interested as I don't have a carputer/xbox. Just want to watch movies in front... of course while the vehicle is parked!

But I need dummy instructions like "buy this part at Wal Mart and hook the blue wire to the green wire". I can't handle wiring diagrams!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great Idea, Any progress?

This is a great idea. Iwas actually thinking about this a while back but never got any responses. Any progress on the project? I have a dvd player from my old audio system, now I just need a cheap way to hook it into the Nav screen.

·
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never got any either

TO be absolutely fair, I have been trying to get the Faye up to the Mo in mods, I cant get the accept screen off the Faye or a rear view camera input. The interest in Faye stuff is nil and the the price for a tv input etc is about $700

As soon as I can get going on the MO again I will try it my self. I really think it will work and be a great product for us all to have. Hopefully someone will make it, Wish I had the time and facilities setup I would package it myself.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Don, sorry for the long delay. I just found your pm asking for my comments in here. Is Generator not fabbing the xbox interfaces anymore? The kit I bought from avelectronic.com doesn't seem to be available anymore. It appears they only offer an audio/video switcher and moved their tv functionality into a single DIN device.

If you just want a DVD/MP3 player, or need to offer video games for kids, his kit was perfect. But if you need a full PC with intelligent power on/off, you'll need their s-video converter kit. At the time I bought, I wanted to save the $150 and gaining the TV functionality has since proved priceless. If I am ever able to find a replacement 12v power supply for xbox with intelligent power on/off, I'd have to rethink my entire configuration.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I Dont know much about xbox but I can tell you one thing, last week we were installing new monitor for gaming system in BEST BUY and we came cross a little piece of electronics. This device checks any signal from any video source and powers xbox off and vice versa.

Maybe you can check with them.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Digital said:
This device checks any signal from any video source and powers xbox off and vice versa.
Thanks for the pointer. I should have been clearer, though. I would be interested in a 12v power supply that I could rip-and-replace the stock PS with. Furthermore, it should have a key-switched feed and an unswitched feed.

When I turn the car on, I want the PS to wait for 5 seconds of uninterrupted power from the key-switched power before acutally powering up the box. And when I turn the car off, I want the PS to send an ATX power off command, wait 30 seconds, and then kill the power. Mini-ITX has this available today. AFAIK, the best you can do with XBox is run it off of a power converter that just kills the power instantly when you shut off the car. Not to mention inverters are inefficient and exhibit their inefficiencies as heat, which of course you don't want in a box jammed under the passenger seat.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts