Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After just purchasing a 2010 SL, I thought I would post the experience that I had in dealing with Mills Nissan in Edmonton.

Being previous MO owners (2003 SL AWD), my wife and I were looking to move into a newer MO with fewer kms. We found the MO with the options and color we wanted at Mills Nissan and purchased the vehicle. The experience up to this point was good as the salesman was knowledgable and fairly honest.

The problems began once we began dealing with the financing department. The Business Manager offered various protection options for the paint, undercoating, etc. as they usually do. Having had 3M tape installed on my Volvo, I was interested in having the hood and mirrors protected if the price was reasonable. Ignorant to the actual cost of having the work done, I gave the ok to have the work done for $600.

Upon taking delivery of the vehicle, I noticed that a business card was left in the glovebox for the company who installed the 3M tape. Reflecting on the price I paid for the tape and thinking it was probably high, I called the installer and requested a quote for the vehicle. Expecting the price to be lower than $600 as I expected some sort of service charge to be built in by the dealer, I didn't expect the actual price to be $220 with tax.

Feeling like I was just price gouged, I immediately called the salesman we dealt with who acknowledged that a 170% profit margin was excessive, but that these were charges added by the service department (he wouldn't ellaborate on what these charges were actually for (I think it would be politically incorrect to have "profit" as a line item on the invoice!). After several minutes explaining the situation, all he would offer was a free oil change (pathetic!).

The next day in the local newspaper, I noticed that the dealership was offering free winter tires with the purchase of any vehicle in October. Having purchased the vehicle on Sept 29 and given the issues I was having with the dealership, I figured I would give them a chance to rebuild some trust and customer loyalty by offering the tire offer free of charge (given it was only 2 days from Oct 1), or at least offered a discount on the tires.

My response from the General Manager of the dealership was that the $600 was "market price" and that because we didn't purchase the vehicle in the month of October, they were unwilling to negotiate at all. Not quite the best response for building customer loyalty when I just spent $45k on a new MO.

For me, this was a lesson learned in dealing with Mills Nissan. I refuse to have any future dealings with this dealership. Owning a Volvo and having dealt with the same dealership for the last 5 years, I would strongly encourage Nissan to take notes from Volvo in customer service and building loyalty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have also dealt with this place, i do like the guys in the service department though, and i never buy anything the dealership is offering at the door, there will always be very large margin on that stuff. Sucks they did that to you though. The owner is Lance Mills, maybe he can help you out, he is a pretty good guy. Don't give up, they will usually (all dealerships) not do anything unless you pester a fair bit

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have also dealt with this place, i do like the guys in the service department though, and i never buy anything the dealership is offering at the door, there will always be very large margin on that stuff. Sucks they did that to you though. The owner is Lance Mills, maybe he can help you out, he is a pretty good guy. Don't give up, they will usually (all dealerships) not do anything unless you pester a fair bit
Hi edmontonmurano. It's good to see another Edmontonian on the forum! I really can't comment on the service department at the dealership as I haven't had any direct dealings with them. At this point I've come to terms that the dealer made an extra $400 off of me in the purchase and that complaining to Nissan Canada gets you nowhere. I discussed the issue with the dealership for approximately two weeks which I feel is a fair amount of time to address the problem. Now, I feel the only recourse I have is to post my experience on various forums and share with other potential buyers. I may have lost $400 in the deal, but if even one person of the approximately 50 people that have viewed this thread chooses not to purchase from Mills Nissan, they just missed at least a $40,000 sale (since you can't buy a new MO for under that in Edmonton). Lesson learned for the dealership this time!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my initial post, I failed to mention our dealing with the Sales Manager. After discussing the pricing with the salesman, he did the typical "I need to check with the sales manager first" routine. We soon were greeted by the Sales Manager who we discussed that we were actually looking for a MO without leather but with all the other goodies (wasn't necessarily a deal breaker, but it would've lowered the price and made my wife more comfortable in the cold winters driving her 97 year old grandmother around). All that was available according to the Sales Manager was a MO with leather. After telling us this, he asked my wife if she didn't want leather because she was "some sort of animal activist". I stood there in absolute shock and when I realized what he actually said, I had to refrain from wanting to smash his keyboard over his head! This should have been the first indication to leave and head to another dealer.

I apologize for the long rants, but I just want the readers to get the full picture of how brutal my experience was!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, I have yet to hear good things about ANY nissan dealer in Edmonton. I recently bought a used Murano from Sherwood Nissan, and had a horrible experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts