Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked the Eibach website and they have an application for the Murano:

Pro-Kit, part number 6370.140

I would be hesitant to get lowering springs for the Murano because its ground clearance is already not so great and there are no aftermarket struts/shocks available yet. Even if KYB AGX's were available, I'm not sure it is worth it to put Eibachs in since the reason I got the Murano was so I could handle the snow where I live.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Looking at the info on the site, I'm assuming the 1.2 means lowering the Murano by 1.2 inches?

Or does his number mean something else? There should springs that allow for the same height but offer better handling.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It might not look much lower, but it might feel different?

:8:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1.2" drop would cause our metal transmission scoop shields to scrape even more. :(

·
Registered
466 Posts
Could be...

I wonder if it's supposed to ride softer or tighter? In my SE, I wouldn't want a tougher ride...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dookie said:
Could be...

I wonder if it's supposed to ride softer or tighter? In my SE, I wouldn't want a tougher ride...
All lowering springs will make your ride harsher. Less spring travel (due to shorter spring, thats why its lowered) means less compliant ride. I believe the Eibach springs are progressive, but that doesn't do much since the Murano rides rather harshly to begin with. It is important to pair lowering springs with firmer dampers as well, I had an H&R Sport/KYB AGX setup in my 97 Maxima and that made the ride tolerable. I have had less success with Tokico products.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had Neuspeed Sports with Koni Yellows in my '00 Accord V6 and it was a nice ride when the struts were set to the lowest setting....

When you adjusted it to the firmest, watch out!:eek: It corned well, but wasn't forgiveable at all when the pot holes came around....

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dookie said:
I had Neuspeed Sports with Koni Yellows in my '00 Accord V6 and it was a nice ride when the struts were set to the lowest setting....

When you adjusted it to the firmest, watch out!:eek: It corned well, but wasn't forgiveable at all when the pot holes came around....
Yeah I heard Koni yellows are excellent. I would have gotten them for my Maxima except there was no direct application - to mount Koni yellows would involve gutting the stock struts and putting the Koni into the stock strut housing. A real pain in the butt.

It will be pretty exciting when more performance parts comes out for the Murano. I do like the higher ride height of the Murano compared with a sedan (hey this is an SUV afterall), and I think I would be happy with a set of adjustable struts/shocks without lowering springs for the Murano.

·
Registered
466 Posts
That's what I'm looking for. I just would like some Koni's that will fit with the Murano's springs. My SE rides way too harsh when there's some significatn weight in the back..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I understand the _fashion_ aspects of lowering vehicles. I understand that there might be some performance gains (and tradeoffs) when lowering cars.

But why on earth would you buy a vehicle like the Murano that trades handling for versatility by sitting up high...and then lower it? It might look different but you'd lose all the versatility of the improved ground clearance and very likely gain _nothing_ in performance. Are looks _that_ important?

George

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lowering a vehicle lowers the center of gravity and improves the handling. The tradeoff is usually reduced suspension travel, and a harsher ride.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If lowering a vehicle is done in order to lower its center of gravity in order to accomplish better handling....then why _start_ with a vehicle that already comes with a higher than average center of gravity? You lose versatility and might, as in maybe, get close to a stock vehicle that is designed with a lower center of gravity to begin with....such as an Altima.

esemes, I hope you lowered it in Photoshop, but all other things (such as performance) being equal, the lowered look does not appeal to me. Neither does the harsh ride. My stock SE has a fairly harsh ride already but it is well matched with its handling and versatility compromises. A lowered Murano, it seems to me, would ride poorly, snag on bumps and railroad tracks and might possibly perform as well as an Altima at the track...but probably not. That's a lot of money for marginal performance....and possibly worse performance. I'd like to see some hard data on that.

In my mind the only real argument for lowering is looks. Which is perfectly fine if it is worth it to the individual. And esemes, if you did lower it in real life and not Photoshop....how does it perform at the track?

George

·
Registered
487 Posts
That's true of a lot of lowered cars... heck, even cars with skirts and body kits that make it look lowered. Something is going to scrape.

I saw a guy pull out of a driveway with a 'stang, full body kit... it looked real nice. But the front skirt scraped nicely on the road as he pulled off the slope of the driveway apron. Oops! :eek:

A good reason to lower the MO would be to fill out the wheel wells a bit, I guess, but that can be done with bigger tires too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts