Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I know, I know, pull over
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wake up Saturday morning, truck won't start. Battery is stone cold dead - no lights, horn, etc. Everything worked fine the day before. After 30 minutes on a charger, it fires right up, no problem. Since it ran fine all day Saturday and Sunday, I don't think anything of it (maybe wifey left a door unclosed all the way and the interior lights stayed on).

This morning (Monday), try to disarm my alarm to get in, and nothing happens. I think to myself, Great - battery is dead again. Insert key, unlock door, alarm sounds. I try both key fobs to disarm the alarm, but neither one responds. Get pissed, ride motorcycle to work (hey, it's supposed to hit near 70 today).

Tryin to figure out what could be wrong...
Battery is 2-3 weeks old, deep-cycle battery. Alternator was replaced last October in recall. I made sure the dome lights are set to the "Door" switch, and the headlights are set to "Auto". I'm calling the audio shop where I bought the battery to try another one. What else could be wrong? Is the voltage regulator internal to the alternator?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Wasen't life grand

back when we had amp meters and could tell is there was a drain and how big it was?

I assume No aftermarket accessories are being left on? AMPS, etc.
Have you tried things without the alarm activated.?

If it runs down in just 8 or nine hours, Something must be draining it or the battery is no good. How is the battery fluid level?

:confused:

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
battery is a solid state, gel battery. clamps are tight, ground is good. my amp and 2 capacitors are run off a remote turn-on lead from the radio, so they should only be on when the radio is on, but I need to verify this is the case. I can always flip the breaker and leave it sit overnight to see if that's the cause...

·
4,994 Posts
That sounds like a good idea

a leaky cap could be the problem. If you touch them when there is power are they warm?

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will check when I get home. I think first, I'm going to switch out the battery - I have the old Nissan OEM one laying around somewhere in my garage still. Will post findings after battery swap and letting it sit overnight... *crosses fingers*

·
4,994 Posts
Sounds like both ideas are a plan

:)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
How did alarm sound if battery was dead..........?

Homer

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the 2nd time (this morning) the battery wasn't totally dead. my key fob wouldn't unlock the doors...

I thought maybe my alarm is malfunctioning and causing the battery to drain...

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jace-

You have a lot of variables involved.

I would assume it is not the battery because it is relatively brand-new. I would electrically take the amp and caps out of the equation for the night and see how she behaves in the morning.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Remember even if the interior lights are left on the MO will turn them off after 30 minutes.

·
4,994 Posts
Thought that was alread said?

njjoe said:
jace-

You have a lot of variables involved.

I would assume it is not the battery because it is relatively brand-new. I would electrically take the amp and caps out of the equation for the night and see how she behaves in the morning.

-njjoe
:4:

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, well, I replaced the battery last night, and still ended up with a dead batt this morning. :mad:

I found that if I disconnected the neg battery cable and used an amp meter to connect the neg battery terminal to a ground, it shows there is a current draw. Tonight, I'll be disconnecting my alarm brain and my capacitors to rule them out...

·
4,994 Posts
Isn't being a MO Detective Fun

You are on the right track and learning and adding to your list of know how. :)

·
5,244 Posts
jace,

when you measured it how much current was drawn?

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't remember exactly how much current was being drawn. It was significant though, more than say my alarm brain should be drawing. And it went up and down when I flipped the breaker to my stereo system.

I went ahead and disconnected the remote turn-on lead to the caps and amp, flipped the breaker to the system, and discharged the caps. This morning - no problems. I'm going to leave the stereo system disconnected for a few days to make sure, but I think I may have a leaky capacitor on my hands...

·
5,244 Posts
This is entirely possible. Electrolytic capacitors, especially low quality ones were notorious for developing leaks. Good luck with your investigations

1 - 18 of 18 Posts