Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to the ATM this morning, I noticed the signal lights weren't working. I pulled into the lot and checked the outside bulbs- they weren't working either. At this time I noticed my headlghts were on - HID xenon- without them being switched on- they were in the Off position. Also, it was bright daylight so they wouldn't even have been On if they were in the Auto mode-which they weren't. I then went to lock the car with the sensor in the handle and that too didn't work. At this time I noticed the interior lights were not on with the door open, they should have been as the switch was on " Door" mode. When I went to leave after finishing with the ATM, this is where my frustration was building. The ignition would turn over O.K., but the car would not start!! Also the headlights are "On" as soon as I turn the keytab. The vehicle had to be put on a flatbed tow truck and hauled to the dealership. Seeing as it is Sunday, i have to wait a day to find out what the heck is going on with my MO. Anybody else have this occur or hear of it happening to any vehicle?? 2005 Murano SE AWD, Intelligent key, Nav, 5940miles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Maybe a problem with the antitheft system? That would turn on the headlights (which should flash, but if its a malfunction, I could imagine it could get "stuck") and cause the no start symptoms you describe.

·
5,244 Posts
Does seem like ECU went crazy. Let us know what dealer had to say. Good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will. What does LAN stand for. Also-ECU(is it Electrical Control Unit)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
LAN = local area network (basically the wires and connections going into the computer)

ECU = engine control unit (i.e. the computer)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, now I am armed with some knowledge when I head to the dealer tommorrow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like it is the BCM-(body control module). The part has to be brought in from Japan and could take up to three weeks. The Mo is inoperative in the meantime--question--will the engine and battery be o.k. after sitting for about a month without operating?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
darkoch said:
Sounds like it is the BCM-(body control module). The part has to be brought in from Japan and could take up to three weeks. The Mo is inoperative in the meantime--question--will the engine and battery be o.k. after sitting for about a month without operating?
darkoch-

No, it should not be a problem.

The battery is relatively brand new, it will quickly rebound. If the battery is low the dealer can put it on a charger.

It is not uncommon for new cars to sit in dealers' lots for weeks and sometimes months awaiting sale. There's nothing to worry about.

-njjoe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, does anyone know of bcm's failing on the 03's or 04's? Is this a 1 in 100,000 occurrence?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"Is this a 1 in 100,000 occurrence?"

Well, who knows? Even 1 in 1000 is not considered a lot and I haven't heard of one around these (forum) parts.

Stuff happens.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Homer

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update--the BCM (body control module) has arrived and installed- $283.00 Cnd. under warranty of course. My MO is back baby, after 18 days without driving her. Sure is nice to drive it again. P.S. The battery slowly discharged itself because of the slow drain-a good charge and a drive around town and it's back to normal.:2:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
darkoch-

Let me get this straight. It took your Nissan dealer over two weeks to get their hands on a Body Control Module to fix your car?!? Is that what you are telling us?

I don't car if the BCM had to come direct from the supplier in Japan, there is no reason why Nissan could not have air-freighted the 5 pound part and gotten it to your dealer in 48 hours. If Nissan really cared about customer support they could have cannibalized the BCM from a car that was sitting on a back lot somewhere.

It is so easy to pre-position parts in regional parts banks to ensure dealers have easy and quick availability to the parts. You would think there is at least one spare BCM somewhere in the US to support the ~150,000 MOs in North America.

I truly believe customer support is an afterthought with the Japanese auto industry. They don't give a damn and it is a mindset that shows no sign of changing.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:
darkoch-

Let me get this straight. It took your Nissan dealer over two weeks to get their hands on a Body Control Module to fix your car?!? Is that what you are telling us?

I don't car if the BCM had to come direct from the supplier in Japan, there is no reason why Nissan could not have air-freighted the 5 pound part and gotten it to your dealer in 48 hours. If Nissan really cared about customer support they could have cannibalized the BCM from a car that was sitting on a back lot somewhere.

It is so easy to pre-position parts in regional parts banks to ensure dealers have easy and quick availability to the parts. You would think there is at least one spare BCM somewhere in the US to support the ~150,000 MOs in North America.

I truly believe customer support is an afterthought with the Japanese auto industry. They don't give a damn and it is a mindset that shows no sign of changing.

-njjoe
I can understand if a part takes a week to arrive from Japan. However I don't think they can steal it from a new car off the lot since I'm sure the 06 uses a differnet BCM than older Muranos.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric L. said:

I can understand if a part takes a week to arrive from Japan. However I don't think they can steal it from a new car off the lot since I'm sure the 06 uses a differnet BCM than older Muranos.
We live in a global marketplace. You can easily ship items around the world in less than 48 hours. If you care enough to.

A few years back I was the director of a service parts center for a major business jet manufacturer. We shipped replacement parts world-wide on a daily basis. Our customer support was second to none. We cared about our customers and our support reflected that care. Granted, a $35,000 car is different from a $15,000,000 aircraft, but the support concepts remain the same.

Nissan should have had spare BCMs pre-positioned to support the North American fleet.

And by the way, how can you be so sure the 2006 BCM is not compatible with the 2003?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:

And by the way, how can you be so sure the 2006 BCM is not compatible with the 2003?

-njjoe

Think about this way. If *WE* as complete Murano fanatics cannot be sure, do you think the "factory trained technicians" at the dealership would have *any* clue? :p

Since Muranos apparently have different ECMs and TCMs throughout the model years, I would imagine that subtle changes also led to BCM changes over the years.

Everytime I've had a warranty repair, they had to special order the part, which *always* took at least a week, sometimes two.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
njjoe said:

We live in a global marketplace. You can easily ship items around the world in less than 48 hours. If you care enough to.

A few years back I was the director of a service parts center for a major business jet manufacturer. We shipped replacement parts world-wide on a daily basis. Our customer support was second to none. We cared about our customers and our support reflected that care. Granted, a $35,000 car is different from a $15,000,000 aircraft, but the support concepts remain the same.

Nissan should have had spare BCMs pre-positioned to support the North American fleet.

-njjoe
And if you think that is something....
I'm from the mainframe world.
If we needed something that wasn't carried by a regional parts depot (every major airport), it was shipped by a leased learjet.
That was a serious world.

But, face it, these are cars. They got their dough when we bought them. If it were a month to month lease, I bet they'd have emense regional depots.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was told the BCM was exclusive to my MO since I have Navigation and all the goodies. I had asked the dealer to pull one out of another car on the lot but they said "no go". They match the new one to your VIN and it has to come straight from Japan. I find this strange since there are many 05 MO's in North America that have the same options as mine. They should have this part stocked somewhere in NA and have it shipped overnight if need be. When I called customer support they were able to bring in the part a week earlier than the dealer would have--interesting--. However, after all was said and done, the dealer threw in a free oil change. Small change for the headaches I went through!!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
darkoch said:
I was told the BCM was exclusive to my MO since I have Navigation and all the goodies. I had asked the dealer to pull one out of another car on the lot but they said "no go". They match the new one to your VIN and it has to come straight from Japan. I find this strange since there are many 05 MO's in North America that have the same options as mine. They should have this part stocked somewhere in NA and have it shipped overnight if need be. When I called customer support they were able to bring in the part a week earlier than the dealer would have--interesting--. However, after all was said and done, the dealer threw in a free oil change. Small change for the headaches I went through!!!
You have to remember that if it is a low failure rate part that no manufacture will stock it as the cost of stocking parts ( be it for cars or multi billion dollar equipment) is very expensive. If the failure rate is very low you will have to wait. My 92 grand caravan blew four computer chips at once and they had to get the new ones from the factory to fix it and that took 2 weeks to.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
darkoch said:
I had asked the dealer to pull one out of another car on the lot but they said "no go". They match the new one (BCM) to your VIN and it has to come straight from Japan.
That is a scary thought. So whenever a BCM fails the replacement part needs to be configured in Japan to a specific VIN and then shipped to the US. When a BCM fails the MO driver will be without his car for at least two weeks. If what the dealer told you is true, then that is pretty damn stupid.

Nissan Customer Service - SHIFT:moon:

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts