Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow MO enthusiasts,

I am about to purchase a 6 sensor parking system, color coded to the car, that will require an electrical connection to a hot wire through the key in the on position and another connection into the hot lead for the reverse lights. The hot through the key switch is required for the 2 front sensors and the reverse hot tap is needed for the 4 rear sensors.
I don't like to re-invent the wheel if I can help it so I am asking for some insight.
The "brain" of the system that requires the connections, will be located in the cargo area in one of the side storage boxes under the mat and then a wire runs to the dash where the color VDC panel is located that indicates distance, front or back, left or right, audible alarm etc.
Does anybody know where is the closest loacation in the cargo compartment of a hot wire that goes through the ignition switch and one for the reverse lights ?
Where is the harness that feeds the reverese lights in the rear hatch ? Does it run up in the rear somewhere where I can tap the wires ?
Does anybody have a wire diagram with the colors of the wires to look for and where to tap in ?
Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

PS I posted this request in the General Forum also but decided to post it here also because I believe the electronically savy people may frequent this forum more often and somebody might be able to help. Please excuse the duplicate.

Marius
2004 Glacier Pearl White SL AWD

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hello Mariusg,

If it was me, I would tap into the backing light hot wire as far as the reverse signal is required, since this is already in the cargo area. Just use a small fuse or diode to protect the backing light system from any problem (although since this is a signal wire going to a relay, there should not be any problem even without a fuse or diode).

As for the ignition, I don't know where one such signal wire would be located back there but there are plenty in the driver's side fuse box, so you would only have to run a thin wire to the cargo area to get this signal. Since this is only a signal wire, there is no need for big wiring and fuses since you are using the fused (cold) side of the signal in this case.

The best tool to test the signals is a 12-volts tester with a flashlight bulb.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sim,

Where is the reverse wire located in the cargo area ? Is it behind one of the panels, which one ? Is it down at the floor level or up in the pillar ? Do you know the color of the wire ?
I know I can get to a wire up in the swing-up door where the lights are but I am hoping for an easier solution on a harness that is going to the lights and is in the cargo area already not in the door.

Marius

·
Registered
741 Posts
The reverse wire is the one that powers the white bulb when you put the MO in reverse on either side of the back of the MO. You have access to the bulbs, but first remove the carpeted panel on either side. They are clipped and you first have to remove the rubber band sealing the trunk door. Simply hook a wire using a plastic wire tap to the hot wire going to the back up light. You will have to test the hot wire by hooking a12-volts signal tester and putting your MO in reverse so that it is triggered.

Here is what you need to get there:

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
And to remove the trim and get to the wiring:

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
Forget about removing the side panels in the back to get to the back up lights as they are located at the center of the back door. Refer to the PDF documents and you should have no problem. The color code indicates G/W for the hot signal to the back up lamps so the wire should thus be green/white. You can test it in the harness but I found out that they are quite hard to separate in there and harder to spot than directly at the back up lamp.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Here is the back door electrical harness diagram. Yes, it goes to the back through the roof but there is a way to tap into it directly from the relay...

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ok so here it is. The back-up relay is M21...

Have fun! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
Please post comments and pics when finished. I am not sure but I think that many fellow MO enthousiats will be quite pleased to know how to do this project.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely. I took a peek under the dash and the M21 relay is in plain sight right above the brake pedal. The other hot through the key will be easy also. Running the wires under the plastic side pieces will not be too hard. The sensors leads will go in through the rubber plug for the hitch harness. When it is all done I will post pictures and a detailed instalation step by step for future reference. Should I post it in this thread or in a different location in the forum ?
Thank you so much for your help. Now I can see the " reverse" light at the end of the tunnel.

Marius

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not to change the subject, but Phoenix, can I ask where you get all your wiring diagrams etc.? Is that stuff available on Nissan's site? Great information to have. Thanks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Jewellboy, this is probably the smartest $20 that you'll invest this year... ;)

There is a sticky link that explains how to get access to the Murano service manual for a full day on Nissan's web site and hot to download and save the entire manual to your hard drive. I think the cost of the SM is $300 or so if you buy it from Nissan on a CD or in print. I have burnt a couple of CDs with it just in case my hard disk dies on me...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Marius, M21 is in plain sight alright but quite far from under the dash to work on it. I guess that there will be some dismantling to do to get there with 2 hands. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gotcha....I had read the post, I just wasn't 100% on what I would be able to get. Sounds like some of the smartest money I'd ever spend on any car!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts