Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess we all have those days when some driver does something really stupid right in front of us. Well, today I got to test a true emergency stop in my 03 MO and it came to a stop in an incredibly short distance (ABS worked quite well) and avoided an almost inevitable accident.

I was on my way to work this AM driving on a three-lane road (one in each direction plus a center lane, which is usually left-turn only, but switched to uni-directional during commute hours). As I was heading down the center lane (legally), a large flat-bed truck made an illegal left turn from the far right lane right in front of me (didn't even merge into the center lane). From ~40 mph, I slammed on the brakes and stopped just before hitting him.

The impressive thing here is that I was able to stop the MO is probably less than 100 feet. The car pointed straight ahead the whole time with no skidding. There was a little shuddering toward the end of the deceleration, but all in all I was very impressed.

Just wanted to pass the story along, let folks know the braking system really does work well and open the thread to others who have had similar experiences.

Cheers,
JDB

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jdb06-

I am glad the anti-lock brakes worked as advertised, and even more happy you did not have the opportunity to test the air-bag system. :4:

-njjoe

·
136 Posts
I am a fan of ABS. I had two emergency stops last year, One with ABS and one without in my 90 Nissan p/u. Neither ended in an accident but the 90 Nissan slid all over the road and I had to simulate ABS by getting on/off the brakes. My wife's Avalon tracked like an arrow on a wet crowned lane with telephone poles on one side and cars in the next lane. Had the vehicles been swapped I would not have had a chance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Glad to hear that you and your ride are OK. Gotta be ready for anything out there.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Here in Atlanta where you have a mix of " got up at 4 to be there by 7" ******** and hurried "gimme 30 minutes" urbanites dicing it up on the freeway, I have had many a chance to hear the ABS growl. I have had ABS on all of my cars for a decade, but it seems Mo has a more refined version of it. There is no doubt though--it does weight 4000 pounds and it does stop like it, even with the ABS. During the wet I tend to slow way down on the freeway because it seems like all fools who CAN drive, MUST drive when it is wet.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice work of ABS, EBD, and BA in action...
DonChaThink?

NZM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts