Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i have a toyota (my 2nd car) and the manual says that the engine air filter needs replacing every 30,000 mi.

is it the same for Muranos?

·
Registered
781 Posts
It is in the Owners Manual. 15K comes to mind. We're at 28K and have replaced it twice.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Dumb question

Guys, this is a stupid question but here goes. I just bought a new air filter but ran into a problem. I snapped open the two retaining clips, the ones near the fender side of the air cleaner but can't get the top to pop off. I checked the owners manual it said pop the 2 tabs and lift off. There are only two retaining type clips. It appears that there is some locking mechanism on the other side near the battery but I am stumped as how it unhooks on that side. It does not help that I'm trying to do this in the garage at 9PM with a flashlight. Is there something that pops open or hooks on the other side of the housing that I can't see? I'm again talking about the side next to the battery. I thought I'd stop and see what you guys had to say. I didn't want to break the darn thing by yanking on the cover.
Thanks in advance. This post will also be useful to all those who have yet to change the air cleaner.
Bob1

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you look at the opposite side, you'll also see that there are three slots that the housing is attached to. You need to pull up and out from the clip side to release it from those slots as well. It's a real tight space, and takes some effort to replace the cover too.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
It's a real tight space, and takes some effort to replace the cover too

Thanks Kat, I can't imagine Nissans thought process to make a simple filter change this frustrating. Did they think that we will all bring the cars to the Dealer if they make it hard enough?
:3:
I'll give it ago on Sunday as my wife will have the Mo on the road today. I'm not going to try a hot engine and temps in the 90's.
I'll update after replacement.
Thanks.
Bob1

·
Registered
357 Posts
I change my airfilter once a year in late Spring. Here in snow country there is lots of dust producing stuff left on the road after the snow. I wait 'till that is cleaned up by the municipality, that change the air cleaner.

Remove as CopperKat notes above, but it does take a little bit of wiggling. There is however enough room to lift cover and remove and replace the filter without removing any other parts.

Once you have the cover off suggest you look closely at the three locating lugs on the left side as viewed from the front. You will note that they have what I would call 'hooked' ends. Very important to ensure these pass right through the corrosponding 'sockets' when replacing cover, otherwise you will not get a complete seal on the engine intake side of the air cleaner.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I believe Nissan specifies a 30,000 mile service interval for the air filter. However, the part is so inexpensive, I would replace it every 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
a tip on replacing your engine air filter as i've been in an out of that air box quite a few times to clean and re-oil the k&n filter that's in the mo. to make the rmoval of the cover easier i just end up in bolting the cover from the intake tube and the there is much more room to play around and much easier removal. takes a bit more time but saves you all the frustration

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
to make the removal of the cover easier i just end up in bolting the cover from the intake tube

Thanks guys for the tips. I went with Nissanlove's method and removed the flex rubber tube from the housing. This made the procedure really easy and it came off in a snap. Only one clamp screw to loosen the tube and she comes off fairly easy.
As for the filter, 20K in relatively clean driving conditions, it was pretty dirty. I could have gone another 5K without a problem but glad I changed it out. If you are living in a dusty/dirty type area. I'd tell you not to wait till 30K. Go ahead and do it now.
Thanks for the support.
Bob1

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I agree bob1.
had mine pulled at 20K and after looking at it, could not in good conscience put it back in.
I don't think I would ever go 30K.

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
Leaving in “pollen rich” Atlanta I change air filter at least once a year. So far I went from OEM to K&N and back to OEM. Murano is 2 years old and has 37k. There is no point saving on air filters. The risk is just to great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts