Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an interesting thing at my dealership the other day when I took my MO in for 7500 service...

They had a booklet outlining your service intervals and what they do at each interval. It was a bit different than the owner's manual list because they mentioned their free car wash and something that struck me as unusual... an engine flushing. I had seen these before, where they run a 'cleaner' through your engine to zap the oil gunk buildup.

Is this recommended? I heard this is only good for older engines that actually have buildup... but what about the new high-tech Nissan engines, especially one running synthetic (like mine)?

I didn't ask the techs if the engine flush applied to the Murano or not, or what models/model years they do it for. I should have, but I can give them a call anytime. What are YOUR thoughts?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Never unless you forgot to change the oil for, oh, about 25,000 miles.

I've heard some real horror stories about this process which is why I'm so consistent with my oil changes. I don't want to ever go there.

No reason to do it unless you've got some serious sludge buildup, and even then I'd be cautious.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, no, the dealer's service manual didn't "suggest" the engine flush until.. uh.. 15k? I think that was the magical number. Honestly I wish I kept the brochure. Figures that my dealership's site is also down at the moment!

Anyway. Yeah, I thought it was weird too. Now I'm going to have to specify what parts of their __________ mile service that I want and do not want them to do.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Flushing your engine at 15,000 miles is like changing your oil every 500 miles, you don't need to do it at all. In fact, most of the mechanics I have gone to never recommend flushing because it can cause whatever you've got stuck in there to become even more stuck!

Flushing your radiator and cooling system, however, is good. Its recommended every 30,000 miles.

·
5,268 Posts
Changing oil at regular intervals - yes. Engine flush - never. I had at least 4 cars that I put 180,000 km on and never had engine flush. The key is to change oil regularly. And with synthetic oil and Nissan high tech engine I find it hard to believe that there would be sludge build up after only 15,000 miles. The dealer is trying to pull your legs............

Recently, my wife took her car to a dealer to change the battery. I knew it was weak, old and needed replacement. The dealer tested it and said it was OK but could not guarantee it would last 1 more month. So she replaced it. However they found many things that needed service – transmission fluid, engine oil (after only 1,000 miles! The color was a little bit dark!). I do not trust them whatsoever. Anyway, they knowledge and skills are questionable at the best.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
i say, as with the abovementioned posts, avoid that idea like the plague....

no way in hell your MOtor need that consumeristic foolery......

what do they suggest at 30K???

--swap all fluids for "prolong lube" ,and, then drain and drive car without any fuilds whatsoever...---

·
5,268 Posts
just had 7k miles service done - took my own Mobil 1 oil - no problem. However, I did notice that the dealer had his own service schedule. It had not much to do with MO recommendations; rather it was a manual on how to get money out of customers.

Guys you better be careful out there!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree, I am skeptical that the dealership has a service schedule different than that recommended by the manufacturer. I'll stick with the manu's recommendations. I saw the ad for the engine flush at the dealership, but they did not try to pawn it on me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fully agree.

The clinch may be that the dealership asks if you want this thing when you come in for service. It seems unusual that they would REQUIRE it... it may be recommended. I haven't checked up on it, though. I'll have to remember to ask when I go in there next.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Never flush! Especially with such low mileage and frequent oil changes.

Boys I find that the service intervals that the delaer is a joke. If you are the slighest bit handy you can do it yourself. The only eception is fluids if you can't dispose of it properly. Most of the servies they do are just inspections..... practically no maintence on the MO or any modern car. I'm a bit overly cautions but I do as much of it as I can. Oil every 3mo/3K, Filters 15K, fluids 30K and plugs 75K. While I'm under the car I inspect the CVT boots, radiator and exhaust. Not expecting any issues with these for at least 75K.

What else is left. Tire rotations... too early to tell, my previous car didn't need it, they all worn even except for the edges from those tight turns. ;)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that's how I feel about maintenance. I take it to the dealer to get only the necessary stuff done. I can't rotate my tires, so that's something they can do. I don't have access to all the fluids, so, again, they can check/fill/dispose of them. There's also the inspections.

I change my own oil and filter. Mobil 1 and a Nissan OEM filter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts