Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2007 Murano from a buddy of mine. I was making a 3 hour trip and about an hour into it the car jerked real hard and I noticed it was overheating. After pulling over and changing out the radiator on the side of the road, I finished the trip off with no issues whatsoever. The very next morning, I went to make an hour trip and realized the car would jerk real bad on acceleration unless put into Ds. It has a small oil leak from the rear valve cover but the oil level is full. Jerking is especially bad in the lower RPMs or when trying to get up a hill. Went to Autozone because the CEL came on and a few codes come up. The P0328 was the main code. Other secondary DTCs were engine over heat (obviously) and camshaft position sensor. The Autozone employee said he had gotten a few vehicles in with bad gas so that may be what was causing it. I went through that tank and have since gone through a tank of supreme and a tank of mid. The supreme had Seafoam added to it. The problem persisted. I went digging around the knock sensor and found one wire was bare in a small spot and the insulator had come apart in that spot. I taped the bare spot up quite well and replaced the knock sensor entirely. The problem persisted. Tried unplugging the knock sensor all together. The problem persisted. I'm lost at this point. Could it be as simple as just resetting the ECM by touching the battery cables together to clear the code? Did something happen when the car overheated? I'm genuinely confused. I've seen a lot of similar issues on the forums but no real answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I use the car to commute back and forth to school so I don't really have the option to take it to a mechanic and have them look at it all week both for transportation reasons and funding.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 Murano from a buddy of mine. I was making a 3 hour trip and about an hour into it the car jerked real hard and I noticed it was overheating. After pulling over and changing out the radiator on the side of the road, I finished the trip off with no issues whatsoever. The very next morning, I went to make an hour trip and realized the car would jerk real bad on acceleration unless put into Ds. It has a small oil leak from the rear valve cover but the oil level is full. Jerking is especially bad in the lower RPMs or when trying to get up a hill. Went to Autozone because the CEL came on and a few codes come up. The P0328 was the main code. Other secondary DTCs were engine over heat (obviously) and camshaft position sensor. The Autozone employee said he had gotten a few vehicles in with bad gas so that may be what was causing it. I went through that tank and have since gone through a tank of supreme and a tank of mid. The supreme had Seafoam added to it. The problem persisted. I went digging around the knock sensor and found one wire was bare in a small spot and the insulator had come apart in that spot. I taped the bare spot up quite well and replaced the knock sensor entirely. The problem persisted. Tried unplugging the knock sensor all together. The problem persisted. I'm lost at this point. Could it be as simple as just resetting the ECM by touching the battery cables together to clear the code? Did something happen when the car overheated? I'm genuinely confused. I've seen a lot of similar issues on the forums but no real answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I use the car to commute back and forth to school so I don't really have the option to take it to a mechanic and have them look at it all week both for transportation reasons and funding.
"Bad gas" (whatever that is) is not going to result in a cam sensor circuit fault code. It seems that you're chasing the knock sensor fault as being the cause of this driveability concern, but it may be unrelated. BTW, is it still throwing P0328 after repairing the wire and replacing the sensor?

Oftentimes, a common cause of a "jerking" complaint with these cars is a tear in the intake tubing so you should at least remove that and inspect it carefully for cracks/holes (esp. in the folds of the accordion).

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Bad gas" (whatever that is) is not going to result in a cam sensor circuit fault code. It seems that you're chasing the knock sensor fault as being the cause of this driveability concern, but it may be unrelated. BTW, is it still throwing P0328 after repairing the wire and replacing the sensor?

Oftentimes, a common cause of a "jerking" complaint with these cars is a tear in the intake tubing so you should at least remove that and inspect it carefully for cracks/holes (esp. in the folds of the accordion).
I reset the CEL this morning and made my 40 mile commute. All was fine and dandy until I went to come home. CEL came back on and the jerking continued. Went back to Autozone and had them check the light. Came back as P0303 which is the ignition coil misfire on cylinder three. That was the only code it was showing. I guess at this point I may just follow the CEL until the problem is solved. I will definitely check the intake tubing. It isn't so much jerking as it is losing power and it sounds like the engine is about to fall out on the road. I don't really know the best way to describe it.

·
Super Moderator
1,408 Posts
First Gen Murano's are known to develop oil issues in the sparkplug tubes, which will lead to a miss-fire/dead cylinder with the resulting P03XX codes.

If you're seeing any oil leaks around the valve covers, plan on replacing the valve covers themselves along with sparkplugs and any needed coils. The replacement valve covers have the newer sparkplug tube O-rings, which don't have this leaking issue. Last I looked, you can get the valve covers for less then $75 each.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts