Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using 87 octane, used Shell and Amaco, I'm getting engine knock (pinging) when I step on the gas. Only lasts about 3 seconds then stops. I thought we could use regular in our MO's ? I've put 93 octane in there till I can get it to the dealer.... Anyone else have/had this? :confused:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
You can use 87 in the MO. I have not. However a small amount of pinging is OK and not going to harm anything. I wouldn't worry about it unless it become worse like when ever you accellerate normally or heard under heave acceleration for longer periods of time.

·
Registered
781 Posts
It does recommend using premium in the VQ engine. I've found 89 to be resonable enough.

·
Registered
59 Posts
got ping?

I've tried them all, but I still get pinging even with premium.
Nothing else I can do but put in an additive like an octaine boost.

I'm wondering if it's a tuning problem.

·
4,601 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
lol jaak

mine doesn't ping on 87....hmmmm. But I DO feel a very noticable diff on 92. It seems to have to work on 87 and just casually goes about it's business on 92.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The engine has a digital knock control system and should not knock at all, regardless of gasoline grade. If you get knocking on regular, this should be addressed by the dealer - it is not acceptable for them to tell you to use super to avoid knocking.

At the very least, have the dealer check for codes.

·
4,601 Posts
When mine does it, and it's rare, it's when I'm lugging the engine. A flip to Ds and it goes away, of course...

I thought the knock sensor should retard the timing to deal with it, but I have noticed it a couple of times. Not recently because I started buying at least 89 when I fill up, once I heard the pinging...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm renting a MO right now and I'm sure the previous renter or Enterprise-rent-a-car filled it with 87 octane. It detonates and performance isn't exactly what I remembered with my '03 SE AWD. (That car got totalled. I'm renting to see if I want to sell my 2002 Audi A4 Avant and get into another MO.)

I purposely drove the rental until nearly empty. Then I filled the tank with 89 octane and the detonation is gone and power has improved noticeably.

Bob

·
Registered
781 Posts
Jaak,

You are correct - the knock sensor will pull timing until the knock goes away - which will reduce power. The less timing is backed off - the more power you will have. The more octane - the less chances of knock. BUT, you don't need to run a higher octane than needed as there is no measureable gain from that - outside of a higher price at the pump.

Octance boosters are a joke really. If you feel your knock is fuel related - try to find a station that sells racing fuel 100 octane or so. A gallon is gonna be $3-4 - but is far more effective than a 16oz can of "octane booster". Octane booster raises the octane by 5 points - which means..if you run 93 + 5 points = 93.5 - NOT 98....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I'm reactivating this old thread because I'd like to hear from anyone who had knock/pinging problems with 87 octane and actually had the issue fixed by a dealer under warranty. Based on what the manual says, I don't believe that running hi-octane should be necessary. It sounds like this is the usual dealer B.S. to try to get out of fixing a warranty problem.

So before I take it in to my dealer I'd like to find out from those who have knocking issues if replacing a knock sensor or bad ECU actually solved the problem. My MO does it under acceleration from a stop at low rpms and it happens in all kinds of temperatures and OFTEN. I haven't yet tried using anything higher than 87 but I do use reputable gas brands (i.e. Shell or Chevron). I should also mention that here in California they add all sorts of crap to our gas for pollution control so I'm not sure if that contributes to the problem or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts