Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 SL with 12K miles. Noticed after 1000 mile trip engine makes deep knocking sound for a second on start up, hot or cold. Oil was changed at 2K miles prior and used a Bosch oil filter. When I got home changed oil, and another Bosch filter, noise seemed to go away for now. Dealer said try there oil filter, what do you think?

This did not seem to be an upper end sound, more a lower end.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
On 4th gen Maximas this was a very common problem. The oil would drain from the upper engine and upon startup, before sufficient oil pressure has built up, the hydraulic lifters would make a loud clattering sound for a second or two. No real solution to it other than drive the car everyday (the problem was worse after the car sat a while) and change the oil frequently. As soon as I switched to Mobil One, the sound went away on the Maxima. This has not happened on the Murano yet, but I would not be surprised if it did.

I always keep my oil level at the very top of the hash mark on the dipstick.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric L. said:
On 4th gen Maximas this was a very common problem. The oil would drain from the upper engine and upon startup, before sufficient oil pressure has built up, the hydraulic lifters would make a loud clattering sound for a second or two. No real solution to it other than drive the car everyday (the problem was worse after the car sat a while) and change the oil frequently. As soon as I switched to Mobil One, the sound went away on the Maxima. This has not happened on the Murano yet, but I would not be surprised if it did.

I always keep my oil level at the very top of the hash mark on the dipstick.
Thanks

Did it sound pretty deep like the lower end? Valves are kinda tinny/rapping sounding from my experience, but these new engines are a lot different. Funny thing previous owner had synthetic at 9K miles, I went back to standard oil. I did not notice this until second oil change after synthetic and my long drive of 2500 miles in a week. What do you use for an oil filter

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
billy bronco said:

Thanks

Did it sound pretty deep like the lower end? Valves are kinda tinny/rapping sounding from my experience, but these new engines are a lot different. Funny thing previous owner had synthetic at 9K miles, I went back to standard oil. I did not notice this until second oil change after synthetic and my long drive of 2500 miles in a week. What do you use for an oil filter

It makes you wonder how well the previous owner really maintained your vehicle! Switching from synthetic back to regular has nothing to do with it, it should have no effect. I use only Nissan OEM filters, which I buy from my dealer for about $5 each. My oil of choice is Mobil One 5w30 (the normal Mobil One, not the new Extended Performance variant). I change every 4-5000 miles, depending on my driving conditions.

The valve noise on my Maxima was a loud knocking noise, you could literally feel it inside the car. So I suppose its "deep" enough to sound like lower engine noise. But I am certain it was the lifters. No damage results from the noise, if its the lifters, though. I believe the previous gen 5.3L V8 engines (before the new 300hp alumium design) on GM trucks have the same issue - lifter noise even with frequent oil changes.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Filters are supposed to have anti-drain valves to keep oil in them for startups. Since the knock went away with change of filter, it is possible that something went wrong with the filter which caused the oil to drain from it when not running. When you started the engine, the oil had to fill the filter first before building pressure so it ran dry for a second. Not a good thing. If it happens again, have dealer check oil pressure of the system to try to pinpoint the cause.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zebelkhan said:
Filters are supposed to have anti-drain valves to keep oil in them for startups. Since the knock went away with change of filter, it is possible that something went wrong with the filter which caused the oil to drain from it when not running. When you started the engine, the oil had to fill the filter first before building pressure so it ran dry for a second. Not a good thing. If it happens again, have dealer check oil pressure of the system to try to pinpoint the cause.
I agree, believe me my ears are wide open. I think Bosch filters are good and have the valve you mention, time will tell whats ups I'm sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heard it again tonight, damn! Does not sound good. Anyone else using Bosch oil filters? I wonder if I should try something else.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
On 4th gen Maximas this was a very common problem

My 2 cents. This knock had occured about 4 times in 3 years on my 3.5 Altima. Same engine as the MO. The first time I thought I was losing a rod or valve. It sounded like an old engine without oil. Rapid loud clacking noise that would last a second or 2. I brought her in to the Dealer and got a glazed over look when I told them what happened. Now for me it only happened after an extended sit of 2 or more days in the garage. I heard some others say it was something in the design and was pretty common. Now at 36K on the Altima and she still runs like new. Have not had the clacking start up in 5 or 6 months. I'm not going to sweat this one but I understand how alarming it sounds on start up.
Bob1

·
Registered
174 Posts
billy bronco said:
Heard it again tonight, damn! Does not sound good. Anyone else using Bosch oil filters? I wonder if I should try something else.
I suggest what EricL mentioned. Grab an OEM filter and a jug of Mobil1 5W-30 and see if it makes a difference. The oil particularly has stopped all cold start chatter for me.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I hear something too if my MO sits for a few days. I would call my noise on startup more like chatter or girgling rather than knocking. I use Nissan filters and regular Mobil 5W-30. I guess if you wanted to try to resolve it you could purchase an engine pre-oiler. That would surely help.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine seems to be after you drive and it sits for an hour or two, engine is still a little warm. You know the sound you don't like to hear after you change the oil on the first start, that's what I'm hearing almost all the time.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Funny I don't hear it after I change my oil... only after sitting on a fairly level surface for a few days. Billy is your parking spot level? Perhaps try to back in (or pull in forwards) to your spot and see if that helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gonzo said:
Funny I don't hear it after I change my oil... only after sitting on a fairly level surface for a few days. Billy is your parking spot level? Perhaps try to back in (or pull in forwards) to your spot and see if that helps.
I'm level

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I hear a loud clattering in the MO if it sits for a while too. I change oil every 3K and use the OEM filter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would not be concerned about a clattering as much as the deep low end sound I'm getting. Clattering is just the valve train a little dry and is very common.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Bonzo and billy bronco

Get your CD blasting before you start the engine and you won't hear a thing....:2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts