Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an LED strip to the underside of the hood. I used a relay with a ball & barrel switch to turn the LEDs on and off as the hood is opened and closed.

Here's a short video:

Have a good day.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the switch:

Be very careful when soldering wires to the leads. Be sure to use some kind of heatsink. I used a tight fitting needle-nosed pliers to hold each lead while soldering. You'll also have to use a heat gun to apply heat-shrink tubing over the soldered leads. You'll risk upsetting the internal solder connections in the tilt switch using too much heat, hence all the precautions.

Relay:

Waterproof connectors:

Where exposed, I've got the wires encased in 3/8" plastic wire loom, going to the relay hidden under soft plastic shield near the driver's hood hinge.

The tilt switch is located in the wire loom, between the two hood hinge bolts on the driver's hinge, that is pressed into place and also held a littler lower down with a wire tie.

If the tilt switch is jumpy when opening, you'll need to pop it out of the wire loom and rotate it some. I've found that if you have the writing facing down (looking at the ground when the hood is closed.) operation is usually pretty smooth.

This the second one I've installed. I'm in the process of building another one for a friend for his 2018 Mustang. Basically all you need is 12v fused and a ground on any vehicle.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
479 Posts
What's even more impressive is how clean you've kept that engine bY
Wow.

Mine looks like an old WWII tank. Scratch that, WWI soldiers boot.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's even more impressive is how clean you've kept that engine bY
Wow.

Mine looks like an old WWII tank. Scratch that, WWI soldiers boot.
Thanks.

Here I am thinking that I'd fallen behind on keeping it clean. Twice a year my vehicles get fully detailed, top to bottom, engine bay, and all wheel wells. Lets me keep ahead of the rust here up in the NE.

Have a good day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts