Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my MO 3 months back and have only put 2500 miles on my baby ;)

checked the oil level yesterday and was quite surprised that the oil looked like Pepsi (color).
real dirty... so i am doing the oil change ahead of time and switching to fully synthetic Mobil 1.

was your experience the same? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Pepsi isn't so bad, I have seen oils that look that way new.
:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mgthe3 said:
Pepsi isn't so bad, I have seen oils that look that way new.
:)
well, i put Mobil 1 fully syn in my other car and it never looks this bad, even at the time it needs changing.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
From my experience, engine oil becomes dark soon after it is exposed to heat. What you want to watch for is its viscosity. When in doubt, do the finger trick. Put a drop of oil between your thumb and index finger (don't use hot oil!) and see how far you can open your fingers before the oil drop breaks. Compare that to a drop of fresh oil. If it seems too watery then it is time to change it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I find manufacturer oil (Nissan, Totota, Suzuki) very dark to begin with. Do your scheduled changes and don't worry about it.

FWIW, I use Mobil I 15w50 synthetic in my bike and it gets dark quickly, I think it is the detergent causing the color change.

·
Registered
629 Posts
andy said:
i got my MO 3 months back and have only put 2500 miles on my baby ;)

checked the oil level yesterday and was quite surprised that the oil looked like Pepsi (color).
real dirty... so i am doing the oil change ahead of time and switching to fully synthetic Mobil 1.

was your experience the same? :confused:
Elsewhere on this forum I've seen numerous recommendations that synthetic shouldn't be used until the motor is fully broken in... 7500-10000 miles.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I start with the synthetic when the engine is, IMO, broken in.

With most cars this is 3000-5000 miles.
My car just hit 12000 miles and between 10000 and 12000 the MPG took a nice jump (From <> 16 to <.> 18 MPG around town). so I'm going to change oil this weekend and put in synthetic.

On the dark oil......... yes the factory oil is darker than most.
From now on you will have a hellof a time reding the dipstick. The dip stick and the oil are pretty much the same color and the VQ engine runs exceptionally "clean".

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If you change your oil frequently, the color of the oil has little to do with how much life it has left. In fact, the oil is doing its job - holding the dirt in suspension.

Oil in my Murano (20,000 miles) gets dark pretty quickly (I'd say within 500 miles). I use Mobil One 5w30. In fact, the new formulation of Mobil One (supersyn, as opposed to tri-synthetic) comes darker out of the bottle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts