Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still thrilled about how quiet my MO's engine is.
Several times when I stopped at my mailbox and left the car running, I actually thought it had stalled because it idles so quietly. I have to listen closely to hear the purrrrrrr.

I have about 4600 miles on the odometer, I hope the engine continues to remain quiet and trustworthy!:2:

·
5,244 Posts
Ye, I concur. I've had mine 12 months, 19K miles. Engine is amazingly quiet. Every time I step into FX I do not like the sound of the engine………..too sporty (loud!). Murano is such nice and quiet drive………

·
Registered
416 Posts
Kris - does your FX have aftermarket exhaust system?....the FX's I've driven beside don't seem to be "loud"....

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Just filled up alongside an FX35 this morning. I couldn't believe how throaty his exhaust was. It wasn't even a '45! I was taken aback at how much louder it was.

·
5,244 Posts
No, I do not have an aftermarket exhaust..........it is just loud. I mean compare to MO.

I remember first drives in FX, when we stopped at traffic lights first I thought somebody pulled alongside us…….we heard a low freq. Rumbling……..It took us a several traffic lights to realize that it was us! Anyway, the FX sounds really nice once you get to 60 mph. And even better when you go faster. This engine and car do not like going slow…….

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re-post

Kris

Can you move this thread to the general forum?
It was mistakenly entered under problems, which it obviously is not.

Thanks!

·
5,244 Posts
Done...

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Over 32,000 miles, and mine's still quiet. A nice thing I noticed about the Murano is that you can't hurt the starter assembly by trying to start the engine when it's already running. It just doesn't engage the starter. A friend and I had, on separate occasions, not realized the engine was already running (because it's so quiet).

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Mine is the same way (Of course:rolleyes: )

Have gotten used to glancing at the tach to see if she is running........

Homer

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You guy's read my mind. I jumped into Starbucks to grind a bag of beans. I left my wife in the MO and A/C running due to the heat.
I was actually standing in front of the MO and had to really get my ear close to hear if was running. Very sweet!
Bob1

·
Registered
717 Posts
The current engine in our Murano(s) comes from the first introduced in the US in 1994, 3.0 liter VQ motor, which according to Nissan Engineers was named this way for being Very Quiet.

Simple and accurate and in production for over 10 years now.

I'll warn you that after driving one of these things (the VQ motor)for almost 10 years now, I've got a problem.

Everything else I test drive (and I test drive a lot of different vehicles) seems coarse and rough in comparison.

The one recent variance to this pattern was the new Chrysler 300 C with the Hemi. It was suprisingly smooth and powerful.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm very pleased with the overall quiet that the MO has. Inside & Out. I'm tempted to put a straight pipe to replace the lo-hang middle muffler but I'm afraid of "disturbing the peace". I rent Chrylsers once a month from Thrifty. Got a new 300 Ltd two weeks ago from them with 2600 miles on it. It had the big V6. Good power but very loud when pushed and a totally unacceptable rocking at idle. Such a shame 'cause it was a nice ride.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can vouch for "Very Quiet" series engines. I've still got my 95 max with the 3.0 liter in it.

At 175k miles it's still quiet, smooth, powerful, and I've never had any issues with it (the engine anyways). I think when this car finally meets it's end, the engine will still be going strong.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I drove my 88 Maxima to the junkyard... That 3 liter motor never quit. Of course, the rest of the car fell apart, right on schedule!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I actually think my Murano is too quiet. I also have a 97 Maxima and that engine has a nice growl to it. The Murano in comparison does not sound as powerful. I kind of wished Nissan kept the quiet exhaust setup in the SL and tuned the SE to have that characteristic VQ growl.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i also think the m-o is to quiet. i mean it's a sporty suv, i think it should have an exhaust that sounds more like the fx35. i love that sound. it's sounds almost identical to the 350z. but i am pleased with how quiet the engine is when you give it some gas. the other day, i took the mo out for an accel. test. floored the sucker and the closer i got to the red line the quieter the engine got. ohh not to mention it kept goin faster, that must be b/c of my lead foot. haha love the mo anyways. thinkin of maybe tradin it in for the fx buy hte end of this summer of next spring.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I think it has a bit of a bite at startup.... kind like saying "I'M ALIVE!!!!" :4:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Would love to lose the middle resonator but after seeing other MO's on the street there would still be that blasted pipe hanging right in front of the rear wheels. Guess a muffler shop could rework the pipe
but why did Nissan do it in the first place? Very unusual for a Japanese make except for the Camry, but I think they have a hanger break issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts