Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife was driving in 107 deg F heat for a couple of hours and the engine suddenly died and would not restart. after an hour and i arrived, it started and i drove it home.

i replaced both cam sensors and found that the o-rings were flattened from age and heat. oil had leaked into the forward cam sensor connector.

we have not had the problem in the 3 weeks since, but also no long trips in the heat.

03 with 95K.

i recommend people pull the sensors and inspect/replace the o-rings. or there might be a fault in the sensors themselves.

does anyone know if lack of signal from one cam sensor will disable the car? i would think it could go into limp mode.

this suspicion causes me to think it was the crank sensor that was the problem. i will replace that one also.

good luck. having the engine quit at 70mph in the fast lane in traffic with your 1 year old in the back and 107 deg heat was enough to give me (more) gray hair!

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Replaced both sensors

I just changed both sensors this week. I have 124K on an '03 MO. The Mo would die occassionally at a stop light and buckled a couple times while driving.

Maybe just the o-rings would've fixed the problem?

Anyway, seems to be a common problem.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Ophitoxaemia-

:29: Nice find!

That's what I look for in a mechanic (backyard or professional) - the ability to diagnose the root-cause of a problem, instead of just replacing the entire assembly.

If Nissan was resourceful they would assign an engineer to read this forum. A smart engineer could then issue a technical service bulletin based on your findings. :1pat: Who am I kidding?

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Moderators -- I suggest making this one a sticky.

Any quick information that keeps the engine running smoothly deserves it in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Stickied!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the kind words.

update: drove the same trip (tahoe to bay area) yesterday where it quit last month in 104-107 degree temps and no failure.

since my last update i also replaced the crank sensor for good measure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
recall notice

would this recall notice be about the same problem? i'm $600 into a repair for the same thing.

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING Recall for 2003 MURANO NISSAN Auto Recalls - Justia Car & Truck Recalls http://bit.ly/iodoe

thanks,

paul

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Re: recall notice

pbailey said:
would this recall notice be about the same problem? i'm $600 into a repair for the same thing.
Same part; different root-cause.

The recall addresses sensors that were improperly manufactured.

Ophitoxaemia's post deals with sensors that were contaminated with oil that bypassed an o-ring.

Does your MO fit the build-date range outlined in the recall? If so the repair should be covered by the recall.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
pbailey said:
they say they are replacing the sensors. this should be covered under the recall? right?

thanks,

paul
Check the data plate on the driver-side door sill. What is your vehicle's build date? Is it between 01/01/2001 and 06/30/2002? If so, then you are covered by this particular recall.

-njjoe

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my car was not in the recall range. the recall i found for the sensors identified a defective board or connector and not the o rings.

they are easy to replace, about $60 each.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Ophitoxaemia said:
my car was not in the recall range. the recall i found for the sensors identified a defective board or connector and not the o rings.

they are easy to replace, about $60 each.
Do you have any photos to post of how to replace these? Would be helpful.

Also an FYI, the 10th digiti in your VIN number is the year the car was built.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont have any photos but all three sensors are easy to see.

the cam sensors are in the heads on the drivers side (near the end of the cams)

the crank sensor is accessed from the bottom- its on the front lower edge of the motor in the middle.

if you order the sensors and look around in those areas, you will see them. one bolt each and the connector.

btw, been on several long trips, over 300 miles without a stop and no problems since the new sensors

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
warhawk018
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing