Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '03 SL which sat for a week unused. I started my car and this horrible clicking sound began... sorta like a small metal part banging/flapping. It's the first time I've heard it and it was pretty scary.

The next series of events made me dizzy with confusion:

1. I searched through the forums and read similar problems. I brought in the Murano for an oil change. I mentioned the clicking sound.
2. Techs said to leave the car for further observation.
3. Techs called to say they can't find the problem.
4. Engine change recommended since the Murano is still under warranty.
5. Murano was released until new engine arrives.

My sales rep was surprised at the decision and I was shocked too. My question is, how sane (or insane) is the engine change? Is there another solution? Am I in a position to demand for a new Murano?

Sorry for this long post after a long absence in this board. I'm floating right now and don't know what to make of the situation.

Btw, I'm based in Guam. The Murano was bought here brand new. The current mileage is about 19.5K.

·
5,244 Posts
I agree with Enforcer, if they want to give you a new engine under warranty go for it.

It is amazing how Nissan acts - it this case they go for such a radical solution easily, in others, even more obvious they paly with people...

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
fireball-

This is a "no-brainer". There is nothing to consider. If Nissan-NA, in their infinite wisdom, has chosen to install a new engine in your 3 year old MO free of charge then don't give it a second thought. That is a great deal. The resale value of your car will go up with the new engine.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Hell yeah, new engine---please don't throw me in the briar patch!

Jump on it and say nothing.

I have heard of this before with a neighbor that had a Quest. Clicking valve, used Quest barely in the warranty, yep--they replaced the engine. You'll never ever see that on an American made car.

:D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My question/concern would be if the engine is in-fact "new" (out of the crate) or a re-manufactured engine?

It is possible that they will give you a rebuilt engine from another car (with possibly higher mileage) that had possibly the same problem. It may be actually cheaper for Nissan to keep swapping engines and rebuilt them in a controlled shop versus having the $tealer repair them.

If it is new, then I would say yes. Good Luck!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
biggun said:
My question/concern would be if the engine is in-fact "new" (out of the crate) or a re-manufactured engine?

It is possible that they will give you a rebuilt engine from another car (with possibly higher mileage) that had possibly the same problem.
Biggun-

There should be nothing wrong with a factory-rebuilt VQ engine. All of the wear components are replaced when the engine is rebuilt.

However, in light of the fact his car has so few miles I would think they are giving fireball a new engine.

If I had a choice between a factory rebuilt engine and the dealer doing major engine work, I would most likely opt for the factory engine.

-njjoe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply guys! I'm feeling much, much better. I'm actually feeling sorry for lurking and not participating more in this forum!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Wow, actual warranty service!

I would have suspected the noise to be related to the hydraulic lifters, which can get a little dry if the car has been sitting for a week (you get a brief clacking sound on startup, happens quite frequently with other Nissan VQ engines). Synthetic oil seems to eliminate the symptoms. I wouldn't even call this a defect, just a common non performance related issue with this family of engines.

But since you will get a new engine, forget the diagnosis and just be happy Nissan is doing something about it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
BTW, the VQ has solid lifters. :D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
MightyMo said:
BTW, the VQ has solid lifters. :D
In either case the clacking noise was likely the lifters. Search the Maxima.org forums and you will find many many instances of this occuring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts