Nissan Murano Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
jkoot said:
Same Issue I am having on my Mo! could you describe the sound like you were driving a diesel? and that the sound only occurs when idling or slow acceleration?

One thing to mention that I notice that the sound occurs when my oil is at about 4-5000km and ready for a change. Could I be experiencing a different issue?

I have an 04' Murano SL with 134500km on it. (mostly highway)
Oil should not be an issue with the damper...I don't think. What ever causes the damper to rattle happened to me at a dead stand-still on a warm engine, like a red light or standing in traffic.

Not even sure why it had to be warm to hear that but it was very noticeable. I hate to keep repeating myself but it sounded like an old worn out engine with lifters going clack-clack-clack.

BTW, you can't notice noise with hood open and head in the engine bay, you can hear it in the cab with doors closed. That is where the stethoscope comes into play.

Have the dealer (if you are going) check the damper near the back fire-wall.

Bob1

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your're right, warm engine and it sounds like its old/diesel.

I have heard it once with the hood open and it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
jkoot said:
Your're right, warm engine and it sounds like its old/diesel.

I have heard it once with the hood open and it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side.
Look back in this thread, there are 2 dampers shown on schematic, maybe the one at the passenger side has failed. Mine had been drivers side.

Bob1

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am not sure if I am on the right track here. I was reading this thread and came across something I had been considering eventually to do.

Like ADV, RC5, and BikerJohn, when my 03 Murano is at idle, I hear in the cabin what is described as a steady "thump" noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. I had a chance to crawl under and I was pretty dead on that it was coming from the fuel tank.

I haven't exactly considered anything further right now because of other issues I am working on, but if anyone has more information if this is a fuel damper or not, I'd like to hear it.

Ohh, it cannot be heard from outside the car. I had to crawl under the car to hear it again and traced it to the fuel tank.

If not, I'll eventually get around to resolving it and letting you guys kno.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Spontan said:
I am not sure if I am on the right track here. I was reading this thread and came across something I had been considering eventually to do.

Like ADV, RC5, and BikerJohn, when my 03 Murano is at idle, I hear in the cabin what is described as a steady "thump" noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. I had a chance to crawl under and I was pretty dead on that it was coming from the fuel tank.
I can say this for sure, when the damper goes, it can be heard in the cab but no mistaking, it sounds like the engine, not anything or noise heard from the rear. Lets us know and could this be a fuel pump??? I have no idea but we will stay tuned.

Bob1

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Spontan said:
I had a chance to crawl under and I was pretty dead on that it was coming from the fuel tank.
There is nothing except a fuel pump and a fuel level sensor in the tank. If you hear a noise coming out of your tank, then your fuel pump must be acting up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Zebel,
I think that you are correct on that. When I listen to the way the noise is, its not really a single thump but more of a cyclic engine type of sound.

I am not sure what is going on with the fuel pump, but I'll get to it eventually.

I was looking at one place and it said that I can do the work through the rear seat instead of dropping the tank? I hope so!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone- ive been lurking on here for quite a while trying to research this same exact noise i have been hearing, im wondering what the odds are for the fuel damper to go out near the firewall side vs. the front of our compartments. I also checked today while the engine was running to see if i "felt" the bad one, i tried feeling the hose and also tried just touching it, but they both felt the same. I didnt hear anything because i dont have a stethescope. Also if im not mistaken- the front damper doesnt have a quick connection-correct? its just a simple forward replacement? The rear one seems to involve more work of course, and im guessing that is why you guys are saying there is a quick connection involved? Does anyone have any other way to diagnose which one could be bad other than with the stethescope?

And someone else on here mentioned that their problem was solved by simply changing the oil and the noise would go away- there may be some sort of correlation between changing the oil when the oil needs to be changed because after the oil change this evening, there seems not to be any noise- i am dumbfounded. There may be some correlation involved. Im not sure if changing the oil is going to put a "band-aid" on the problem and eventually it may continue to be more pronounced??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
And someone else on here mentioned that their problem was solved by simply changing the oil and the noise would go away- there may be some sort of correlation between changing the oil when the oil needs to be changed because after the oil change this evening, there seems not to be any noise- i am dumbfounded. There may be some correlation involved. Im not sure if changing the oil is going to put a "band-aid" on the problem and eventually it may continue to be more pronounced??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Though I have sold the MO, I still stay on the site. I will always go on record saying this forum is the most sophisticated and best car site on the www.

Since I started the thread, I can say w/out that stethoscope thing, it is a hard nut to crack. It's just a metal rod attached to two ear pieces like a scope the doc uses except it has a metal probe. You can apparently buy them at some auto parts stores. Can't be too much, I'd get one in you situation. I would never have guessed it till the tech put the probe right on that little brass colored can on the firewall. He let me listen and man oh man, clack-clack-clack. I see no relation between oil and damper but there could be of course low oil issue causing engine noise. I doubt that is your case.

I will stick with my way to diagnose, warm engine, sitting at idle/low RPM at stop light or something. Listen in the cab, windows closed, too hard to hear it under the hood. I did not hear it on start up most times or on a cold engine. I did not notice it cruising along at 20-30-40-50 MPH. You have to be at a standstill.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Bob1

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
You guys are awesome, thanks for the stethescope link. I will check it out.

Hey Bob- i appreciate your input on this issue even though you no longer drive one. Yesterday when i was changing the oil, i was studying the engine compartment, as this is a new task of "learning" this vehicle- i inherited it through my new girl friend- its hers. But anyway, i was studying the engine compartment yesterday and pulled the cover off the intake area to see what was under, and to see what you guys were talking about and looking to see if i could find the dampers. I did see pretty much what the diagram shows back on page 1 of this thread, and i see those two "vacuum" looking gold tin canisters that run towards the end of the fuel lines if im not mistaken. Are those what you put the stethescope on? Just curious because you said the mechanic put the stethescope up to the firewall where there was a canister? I didnt quite see any canisters on the firewall- im thinking i may be looking at the wrong area. Im also guessing i will have to remove all the air filter housing and such to get to the firewall canister? If you can point me in the right direction i will look into it further. Thanks alot again!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
^^

Yes, the gold Damper canisters are what you are to put the scope on.. there is a really easy and cheap way to do this.

The way I diagnosed mine when it had the same issue (turns out it was the front damper which was much easier/cheaper to replace) is to take a long screw driver (I used a flathead) and place it on the damper, than put your ear on the end of the handle. It will be VERY obvious which one is making more noise, once you figure that out just replace the damper and you will see a big diff immediately.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
You guys are awesome, thanks for the stethescope link. I will check it out.

Hey Bob- i appreciate your input on this issue even though you no longer drive one.
No problem, this place is like that, people leave helpful tips and you will see many former owners hang around for chit-chat.

JTRC51 is right on in that post above, he pin pointed what you need to do.

Good Luck
Bob1

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had the same trouble. Expensive sounding engine noise really noticeable from inside, but hard to detect from under the hood. I put together a homemade stethoscope using a 12" piece of 1/4" aluminum rod stuck in the end of a section of plastic hose. Worked great!

Both dampers are making noise but the front one is much louder and is in time with the noise I hear from inside. I'm guessing it's the one causing the problem. Are they supposed to make any noise at all?

Being the cheap skate that I am, other than the annoying noise, does anyone know what difference it makes to just run it without replacement? Are other components potentially at risk if this one is not fixed?

This one has been making noise for probably 10K miles maybe more, MO has 135K on it.

Do the new dampers come with a new O-ring or is that a separate part?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Being the cheap skate that I am, other than the annoying noise, does anyone know what difference it makes to just run it without replacement? Are other components potentially at risk if this one is not fixed?

This one has been making noise for probably 10K miles maybe more, MO has 135K on it.

Do the new dampers come with a new O-ring or is that a separate part?
I doubt if it is causing anything other than annoying sound that makes your Mo sound like a worn out 1979 Chevy pick up truck with 280K miles on the engine. I really don't think damage to anything would happen. I don't have the records for my car any longer as I sold in August but I seem to remember being charged for new O-rings which had been a small amount compared to the damper.

BTW, nice home-made tool to check the dampers. Are they supposed to make "some" noise? I imagine a bit but you would never hear it in the cabin.

Bob1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just wanted to chime in and say that this problem isn't isolated to Nissan. We just traded our 05 Toyota Sienna in for our 07 Murano and the Sienna was making the same sorts of noises...and it was from the same type of part. I found the TSB from Toyota for it and had it on my list of "To-Do's"...glad to know it's a relatively easy fix if it ever pops up on the Murano.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update

So.... I finally got around to buying me a stethescope at the parts store. I checked both "tin" looking canisters on the fuel rails, and the noise they are making are almost identical, im not sure if they are both gone'ers and the problem that im having is that i cannot compare the two differences. Any inputs??? Again, i hope im checking the right parts. Ha!!

My Murano also seems to have some sort of claddering underneath almost, im thinking it sounds like something loose vibrating near the somewhere near the cat, im going to look into that further.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
So.... I finally got around to buying me a stethescope at the parts store. I checked both "tin" looking canisters on the fuel rails, and the noise they are making are almost identical, im not sure if they are both gone'ers and the problem that im having is that i cannot compare the two differences. Any inputs??? Again, i hope im checking the right parts. Ha!!

My Murano also seems to have some sort of claddering underneath almost, im thinking it sounds like something loose vibrating near the somewhere near the cat, im going to look into that further.
Perhaps you have a bent or loose heat shield near the exhaust. I no longer have the MO so I can't slide under to look but I think there is a heat shield.
Sounds like your dampers are shot too. I just had one go bad on the drivers side. I remember a small gold canister and the unmistakable tic-tic-tic when I listened with the scope.

Bob1

81 - 100 of 122 Posts
About this Discussion
121 Replies
39 Participants
jameswdj96
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing