Nissan Murano Forum banner

Engine sounding a bit loud.

108K views 126 replies 44 participants last post by  I need coffee 
#1 ·
OK, this sounds strange, I don't have strange clanks or anything like that but the MO is no longer purring like a quiet kitten at idle.
Hard to describe but it's sounding a bit trucky.

I maintain everything and change oil right on schedule but it just seems louder at idle than in the past. It does not seem to run rough as in clogged fuel injectors. I only use quality high test gasoline.

How about others in the 50K mile range, notice it seems louder or as I called it more trucky in sound?

Bob1

#2 ·
Bob,

I have 91,000 miles. Engine sounds better than ever....no strange noises...very quiet. Performance wise - fantastic! Fuel economy - better than ever. Have been using Mobil1 since 2nd oil change...

Are you sure you are not imagining things? ;)

#3 ·
bob1-

When you say louder, do you mean a louder exhaust sound or a louder mechanical sound?

-njjoe

#4 ·
njjoe said:
bob1-

When you say louder, do you mean a louder exhaust sound or a louder mechanical sound?

-njjoe
Louder mechanical sound. I asked a tech at Nissan about it. I said it sounds like lifters making some click click sounds.

He said that was a normal fuel injector firing. I asked if it was worn out or anything? He said no, he's never replaced one on the Murano. He did on another model at 100K miles. I never noticed any clicking before.

Seems when newer, I never could even hear the engine when running at idle.

Bob1

#5 ·
bob1-

The "click" sound is nothing to worry about. That is the normal sound of the solenoid being energized in each fuel injector.

-njjoe

Reactions: madvanqase
#6 ·
It could also be a product of rubber engine mounts that are not as pliable as they were when new, thus absorbing less vibration from the engine. But yeah nothing to worry about.

#7 ·
Eric L. said:
It could also be a product of rubber engine mounts that are not as pliable as they were when new, thus absorbing less vibration from the engine. But yeah nothing to worry about.
I think that really sounds like what I have going on. More vibration, a little louder than before.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Bob1

#8 ·
Good news/bad news.

Got to the point where the MO at idle in gear started to sound like a 1974 used Chevy Pick-up with 330,000 miles.

I did not know what to think. You could not hear much under the hood but in the cabin with doors closed it sounded like an old worn out engine. It sounded like a Benz diesel from the early 70's.

Finally when I could isolate the noise as being in the cabin, I went to Nissan where a very good tech came out, listened and then brought out a stethoscope rod thing-a-ma-jig.

He had me listen to the Fuel Damper which sits in the back near the firewall. Clank, clank, clank I heard very loudly.

I said Bingo! So that was the good news.

Bad news is that stupid tin can on a hose assembly cost 180 bucks. Sheesh! Nissan charged 180 labor..double sheesh!

OK 360 bucks and I had a Nissan coupon where you spend so many dollars and get and get so much off. So they took 35 bucks off with the service coupon that I got in the mail.

Anyway, the Mo is purring like a kitten and as quiet as the day she was born.

The service advisor said there was a bulletin but I could not find one.

If anyone finds a TSB for the Fuel Damper Assembly, please post it.

Anyone else experiencing the Mo sounding like an old junk yard truck, have the tech listen to this fuel Damper device.

Bob1

Reactions: glnelso
#101 ·
hi there....!! same problem, help please...!!

Good news/bad news.

Got to the point where the MO at idle in gear started to sound like a 1974 used Chevy Pick-up with 330,000 miles.

I did not know what to think. You could not hear much under the hood but in the cabin with doors closed it sounded like an old worn out engine. It sounded like a Benz diesel from the early 70's.

Finally when I could isolate the noise as being in the cabin, I went to Nissan where a very good tech came out, listened and then brought out a stethoscope rod thing-a-ma-jig.

He had me listen to the Fuel Damper which sits in the back near the firewall. Clank, clank, clank I heard very loudly.

I said Bingo! So that was the good news.

Bad news is that stupid tin can on a hose assembly cost 180 bucks. Sheesh! Nissan charged 180 labor..double sheesh!

OK 360 bucks and I had a Nissan coupon where you spend so many dollars and get and get so much off. So they took 35 bucks off with the service coupon that I got in the mail.

Anyway, the Mo is purring like a kitten and as quiet as the day she was born.

The service advisor said there was a bulletin but I could not find one.

If anyone finds a TSB for the Fuel Damper Assembly, please post it.

Anyone else experiencing the Mo sounding like an old junk yard truck, have the tech listen to this fuel Damper device.

Bob1

Did you know what hose assembly was???

i have that same problem,

my 03 murano's engine started to make that same noise, this noise sounds when i accelerate from dead stop and only when is in D gear, once i gain speed the noise stops

thanks, Vince

#9 ·
bob1 said:

bob1-

Kudos to your dealer for employing a technician who knows something about hands-on troubleshooting. That seems to be a lost art at many Nissan dealerships. He probably saved you a lot of money and aggravation.

Unfortunately the accounting department does not share the technician's dedication to customer support. The list price for the rear damper is only $118 (you can buy it online for $84). I guess the extra $62 was to cover their stocking and handling costs. :3:

-njjoe

Reactions: glnelso
#10 ·
Bob

Good to hear your car is fixed. Pity they got you on $$$…

Anyway, the mechanic must have not have Nissan Certification. He was just too good.

Using a stethoscope? Wow! I just cannot see a Nissan Certified Technician do it. It is too low tech. ;) You know computer tells you everything.:D

Oh, and he did not ask about the lack of error code? Unusual....
;)

#11 ·
njjoe said:

bob1-

Kudos to your dealer for employing a technician who knows something about hands-on troubleshooting. That seems to be a lost art at many Nissan dealerships. He probably saved you a lot of money and aggravation.

Unfortunately the accounting department does not share the technician's dedication to customer support. The list price for the rear damper is only $118 (you can buy it online for $84). I guess the extra $62 was to cover their stocking and handling costs. :3:

-njjoe
Yeah Joe, I only use this tech and the dealer allows me to request him.

When my car was new I complained and went back to the dealer 3 times concerning tire wear. I got this tech named Randy that said a strut was bent probably upon delivery and the car can't be aligned without a replacement. He replaced it under warranty and then since my tires were shot at 20 something thousand miles, I convinced Nissan corp to bite the bullet on new tires since they delivered a faulty car.

Anyway the tech I mentioned above was the only guy on 3 trips that found the strut. Since then, I only use him.

I'm still feeling a bit ripped off from the cost of this item and I know the part was not in stock and they had to have it sent in.

Maybe my experience will help someone else. The Mo was sounding so bad that thoughts of a trade and conversation arose from it.

It is so quiet now and in the long run worth the money to be once again purring like a kitty.

Bob1

#12 ·
We've had several cases of bad fuel dampers here. Need to keep an eye (ear?) out for this in the future. Usually a sound like.......well, that won't help, most of you have never heard of the sound steam radiators make..........;)

Anyway, good deal. And that mechanic is the most valuable accessory you have right now.......

Homer

#13 ·
hfelknor said:
We've had several cases of bad fuel dampers here. Need to keep an eye (ear?) out for this in the future. Usually a sound like.......well, that won't help, most of you have never heard of the sound steam radiators make..........;)Homer
Homer, best I can come up with for a sound will be like that of an old truck with worn valves clacking away. It just sounds like a diesel or a car ready for a rebuild on the engine.

The other piece of advice would be to listen, in gear, dead stop on a warm engine. Even at normal idle in Park it was hard to hear. When you'd pull up to a red light or something after the engine was warm. OMG, there is no mistaking that something is wrong under the hood.

Sound heard distinctly at low idle from INSIDE the cabin since this fuel damper sits back towards the fire wall. You can see this by looking on the driver side of the fire wall, not all the way back but pretty far. It has a gold or copper colored metal barrel that is only about 1.5 inches long. It's not very big and has a fuel line attached that disappears to the firewall.

I hope this helps someone.

Bob1

#14 ·
Just remember there is another damper on the other side of the engine too........

Homer

#15 ·
The following is from the Service Manual.

-njjoe

Attachments

#16 ·
Nice job Joe. The tech took me back to show me when I picked it up. It was that number 3 piece with the hose attached. I was in shock at the price. He said Nissan must be very proud of that part.

Bob1

#18 ·
I love this forum! Great sharing of information and experiences with car and service issues:)
Nice work by all and definate kudo's to your mechanic bob1:7:

#19 ·
BikerJohn said:
I love this forum! Great sharing of information and experiences with car and service issues:)
Nice work by all and definite kudo's to your mechanic bob1:7:
Yes John, I feel a debt of gratitude for those that left info sharing.
I felt so damn proud when MGthe3 left info on a previous front wheel noise. He had me rock the car and I was delighted to see how easily I could replicate the noise at the dealer to have something fixed.

My only hope in posting this info is that others will feel the same satisfaction knowing in advance what is wrong with the car and what is needed to remedy the problem if they have the same issue. My guess is that I won't be the only one that has this happen.

That's what this place is all about, friends sharing info and solutions.

I'm lucky I found a cracker jack guy at Nissan. I just don't trust just anyones opinion but this guy is smart.
Bob1

#20 ·
Glad you got your car repaired and its running smoothly now. This thread is excellent - it posted the problem and the solution. I am therefore making it a sticky.

#21 ·
One addition to the thread. Thanks to NJ-Joe tipping me off on the price I called a sister dealership of this one. I inquired about the part and found it 42 dollars less.

I called back my service manager who then checked with his parts manager and they said they have been having problems with wrong pricing.

They apologized and had been concerned with the difference.
Today they credited 42 dollars back on the part.

Never underestimate the combined efforts of thousands of Murano owners on this forum!
:2:
Bob1

#22 ·
bob1-

You have to be one of the most fortunate MO owners out there. Not only have you found a dealership that employs an extremely competent troubleshooting guru as a mechanic, but they also have a very honest service department. That is a very rare combination these days. Too bad dealerships like yours are few and far in between.

I am happy that this forum was able to save you some dough. Every little bit helps.

-njjoe

#23 ·
njjoe said:
bob1-
I am happy that this forum was able to save you some dough. Every little bit helps.

-njjoe
Joe, I owe you a beer! :D

I do have a particularly smart tech and a good staff. I might as well give them a plug. Nissan South, Union City, Ga. The hot shot tech is Randy Cook. He knows his stuff.

Really though, this forum has helped countless owners understand what is happening and what the solution may be. I just hope someone else can find this thread if they have the same deal.

Bob1

#24 ·
I just bought a 2004 Murano SE AWD and I too have a MO that sounds like a truck or a boat or something. But not at idle. Only when I accelerate. Is that normal? Do all exhausts sound loud? I expected this Murano to have little to no road noise...

#25 ·
mrriceguyrj said:
I just bought a 2004 Murano SE AWD and I too have a MO that sounds like a truck or a boat or something. But not at idle. Only when I accelerate. Is that normal? Do all exhausts sound loud? I expected this Murano to have little to no road noise...
If its a deep growling rumbling noise, it could be a hole in your exhaust pipe or a leak at one of the gaskets.

#26 ·
mrriceguyrj said:
Is it coming from the front; rear or in the middle area of the car? Can you see the rear muffler to see if it is stock? Maybe the previous owner switched it out for a louder one.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.