Nissan Murano Forum banner

Engine / Transmission shaking the Murano

12K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
So I have purchased an 2015 Plat Murano with 40K miles. I owned an 2007 previously. I do like the vehicle that I gotanother! But I do have a question. I just did a drain and fill on the CVT a weekago ($180). I’m a father of 2 so I don’treally drive fast. I’ve only floored thegas pedal on the test drive. I generallydrive safe and slow locally. So here’smy problem. At low speeds if I throttlejust a little bit to maintain speed, I feel a shake. If I hit the gas a little more, the shake goesaway. It reminds me of back in the daywhen I drove a 5 speed manual. Similarfeel, like I was in 4th or 5th gear going 20 mph. Does anyone else have this issue? It happens often especially if I’m driving upan incline.

Just very little throttle to maintain a low speed in trafficor within the subdivision. The carshakes. Adding more throttle, and itgoes away. I thought a CVT drain andfill at the dealer would help but it didn’t.

#2 ·
Do you mean that the RPM drop down to about 1000 and the vehicle feels like it's in overdrive? Mine does this. Usually when I'm driving continuously at about 60 - 80km/h the RPM drop and I can hear a deep hum and a little bit of a vibration (more like a light buzz that you can feel if you put your hand on the centre console and focus on the sound). If you drive it in the manual mode then it doesnt do it because the RPM dont drop as low. I spoke to Nissan and they said its normal and the way the system has been programmed for fuel efficiency.

#3 ·
i can make it happen anytime

Murano could be hot, cold, early morning out of the garage, or after a day of errands. Low speeds generally. In the subdivision when, parking lots, long driveways. All I want is to maintain a low speed but faster than idle. I can live with it...

#4 ·
I have the same issue and its normal and I got used to it even if I would prefer a slightly higher RPM say 1,300 or so. I live in a cold climate so in the winter the CVT has to warm up before behaving like you and Vortex described it; it actually goes too high to my liking, 3,000 RPM or so. Previous gen were completely different. They both have their plus and minuses...and I'd say the current gen is more fun to drive when you press further on the gas pedal (simulated 7 speeds) but some members disagree with me (It's O.K. we're all different).

If you check your instant fuel mileage by pressing the button on the steering wheel, you'll find that at 1,000 RPM it literally sips gas, quite amazing for such a relatively large and powerful CUV.

#5 ·
I hate to be a downer or sound negative but this sounds an awful lot like the shudder issue many here have experienced along with myself. I've had to have my throttle body replaced like others and many have had to have the CVT replaced.

Maybe I'm not grasping the description by the OP, Vortex, and Freedom. But the issue I'm referring to is driving at low speed and low RPM the card would shudder and buck if you hit the gas ever so slightly. As if you were in stop and go or very slow traffic.

To the OP. I do hope the others are correct.

#7 ·
If it is really a shake, could be a bad motor or transmission mount. Sometimes these are more pronounced at low rpm/torque until they get pushed to one side or the other under load.
Just a possibility.

#8 ·
No shudder, bucking or shaking in my case. It just feels as if the engine is lugging a bit like the OP said it's like driving with a manual tranny in 4th or 5th gear at 20 mph, this is the best description.

#9 ·
I don't know fellas. I, and I believe a few others, in the several threads about this used the same "feels like your in 4th or 5th gear while only doing 20" affect.
I truly hope I'm wrong and don't mean to freak out or panic the OP.

#10 ·
Because I want a quiet environment, I normally drive with the windows & sunroof closed, low fan speed heater/AC and audio off so it's more noticeable in these conditions. This morning I lowered the driver's side window just to try and I really had to pay attention to detect anything. That could explain why not everyone experienced this situation. Add kids, a dog and a wife/husband and you won't feel a thing, I swear!

#12 ·
So the stutter got worse and i took the 2015 Murano to the dealer. getting CVT replaced. it's been 3 weeks now. First, they needed a one time use bolt. Now they need to do some welding?!? they will not give me any details on what they are welding. This is totally screwed up.

I'm fine getting another CVT in. but really?!? 3 weeks? are tjeu BS'ing me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.