Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i needed my oil change, and i had the option of going to my serive dealer and doing it, but in order to get it out that day, i'd have to go in at 6:30 am. no thanks. so i opted to go to a local place.

bottom line is this:

what would happen if they didn't put in enough oil? and how would i know?

can anyone help me? :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The reply above was uncalled for.

The crankcase capacity for the Murano is 3-7/8 qt without filter change, 4.25 qt with filter change. It is unlikely they would ever underfill the engine, and 4qts is about the minimum for most cars nowadays, so even if the quickie lube place eyeballed the amount of oil that went in, they would really have to be really negligent to get the MINIMUM that the engine would require.

Of course, you can always wait 10 minutes and check the oil yourself before paying the cashier.

·
5,268 Posts
Hi guys,

let's keep this forum professional. No offensive language please.

american, we appreciate your sense of humor, but........

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Kris said:
Hi guys,

let's keep this forum professional. No offensive language please.
Thanks for keeping an eye on things Kris.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
most apologies to everyone on the forum. i know we like to keep it top notch, apologies american.

·
5,268 Posts
quikkik said:
most apologies to everyone on the forum. i know we like to keep it top notch, apologies american.
there is no need for apologies from you.........you just asked a valid question.....that what the forum is for......

·
Registered
27 Posts
sorry guys
but it is as easy as opening a book for the info

sorry if some people cannot handle a joke

if you wish just erase the whole tread

apologies again

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Enough oil?
I needed my oil change, and i had the option of going to my serive dealer and doing it, but in order to get it out that day, i'd have to go in at 6:30 am. no thanks. so i opted to go to a local place.
bottom line is this: what would happen if they didn't put in enough oil? and how would i know?
The only way to know whether they put in enough oil is by checking the dip stick. Also, when you get the bill for the maintenance from the repair guy/dealer, you can find the info on how much quartz of oil that they actually charge you. Last time they charged me 4qrtz. So this flagged me and hence i keep checking my dipstick. Turns out that i have to add around 0.5 quartz a day or 2 later.

I just did my 7,500 maintenance last friday.
I bought 5qrtz of valvoline synpower to the mechanic. Seems that they put in 4.25 qrtz and did not return me the 0.5+ quartz :-( Sneaky dealer's mechanic hehehe...
I dont think they throw in all the 5qrtz, it will overfill the murano.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The best way to go is with synthetic oil that will extend the life of the motor and will also avoid strange noises heard after 50,000 in most vehicles.

the difficult thing is to pick one

I use Mobil or Valvoline.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I find the MO dipstick almost impossible to read. The only way I can get a good reading is after the car has sat overnight....

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Opinions vary here whether the dipstick is difficult to read under certain conditions. I find that after waiting about 5-10 minutes after the engine is shut off, the reading is accurate. Maybe its just me, but I've always used the paper towel trick. Even if you cannot see the oil on the dipstick (new oil is almost clear, although strangely Mobil One starts off as dark amber already), you can dab it on a paper towel and see where the oil level is at. Hope that helps.

·
5,268 Posts
I second Eric L opinion. The paper towel trick is great. I've been using it for many years now.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I just change my oil in my MO and replaced it with Mobil 1 which I have used for yesrs in my cars. My 1984 Jetta had 278,000 Km on it when I sold it and I still got all the oil out that I put in it after 17 years.

However back to the question, in Canada when you change your oil and filter it will take 4.4 lts to refill the MO. Which is great as that is how Mobil 1 and other oils are packaged. I also agree with other folks that you will need to wait for 10 minutes or longer to check your oil after you have S/D your engine. This way you will get the true level indication after an oil change.

If you get your oil changed at one of the local oil changing companies I highly recommend you check it yourself or have them show you the dip stick level as my wifes aunt had here oil changed just before she came to our house and when she got here ( a drive of 6Km) she complained of a noisey engine. When I checked the oil level there was nothing in the oil pan as it took all 4 lts to refill. And yes she did not know what the low oil pressure symbol was on her dash, I love oil pressure gauges instead of warning lights.

·
5,268 Posts
Stoker said:
I just change my oil in my MO and replaced it with Mobil 1 which I have used for yesrs in my cars. My 1984 Jetta had 278,000 Km on it when I sold it and I still got all the oil out that I put in it after 17 years.

However back to the question, in Canada when you change your oil and filter it will take 4.4 lts to refill the MO. Which is great as that is how Mobil 1 and other oils are packaged. I also agree with other folks that you will need to wait for 10 minutes or longer to check your oil after you have S/D your engine. This way you will get the true level indication after an oil change.

If you get your oil changed at one of the local oil changing companies I highly recommend you check it yourself or have them show you the dip stick level as my wifes aunt had here oil changed just before she came to our house and when she got here ( a drive of 6Km) she complained of a noisey engine. When I checked the oil level there was nothing in the oil pan as it took all 4 lts to refill. And yes she did not know what the low oil pressure symbol was on her dash, I love oil pressure gauges instead of warning lights.
man, that's scary! You know what I would do to this shop:yodaddy: :flush: :11:

·
59 Posts
The oil drain plug is on the side of the oil pan about 1/2" or so above the bottom. If the car is level, about 1/3 qt. of the dirty oil does not drain out. When I drain my oil, I block the rear wheels and jack up the front end. This gets most of the oil out and allows me to fill with 5 qts. (including the filter). By the way, I use the upgraded Fram Tough Guard (white can) filters (TG 7317) which are larger than the Nissan filters. I stay away from the standard (orange can) Fram filters because of the bad reviews that have been written on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts