Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car just came out of the shop again for TPMS issues. I'm really beginning to think I just need to run 34 or so all the way around to keep that alarm quiet during the winter -- but I digress.

I'm writing because many of us will be (or already have) exited the factory 3-year/36,000 mile warranty, and wanted to talk about the Security+Plus plans. When I looked at the dash today and saw the 36,535, it dawned on me that I was probably out of the factory warranty now. I rifled through my paperwork in the glove box and found my extended warranty statement. I saw that I bought the Standard Gold plan for 72 months/100,000 total miles. I checked and the website said to look out for a complete booklet within a month after purchasing the car, but so far the only thing I can find is my original receipt. Now that they cover my repairs, I think I need to track down this booklet they are referring to.

For the folks who have had Nissans for some time, can you remember experiences you had dealing with a Security+Plus-covered repair or incident? Just a week or two before buying the Murano, my XTerra got a flat at the hotel I was basically living in. I believe I called Cross Country and they sent someone out to change the flat for me.

Also, and an important note here, is that according to the Nissan USA website, you can buy any Security+Plus plan for your car anytime before the 3 year/36,000 mile factory warranty is up. So if you passed on it and are regretting it, you may still have time.

I'm just bummed because my next oil change will be the last free one! I prefer to keep all my repair and work records in the Nissan system, so I'm thankful that my dealership decided to compete with the Jiffy Lube next door and open their own Express Lube. They once blew their 30 minute guarantee by 90 minutes, so they gave me the cabin microfilter for $20 instead of $65 (or $80 with labor).

Any thoughts or discussion on the Security+Plus plans? Do you remember which one you bought? Have you already had to use it?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I also bought the 72 month security plus plan but have not received any booklets from them.

Question: How did you get the free oil changes? Did it come with the car, was it part of the security plus plan, or did you negotiate it? I just had my first oil change at 3500 miles and they charged me!

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did receive a blue booklet from Cross Country something-or-other who custom-printed for me a book of coupons. The first section contained coupons for free oil changes every 5,000 miles up to 35,000. It was so customized that the mileage indicator when each service was due included the 46 miles on the car at time of delivery. So the oil changes were due at 5046, 10046, 15046 and so on. The second section (which I'm about to get into) contains a bunch of coupons for 20% off various service functions and accessories - tire rotation, belt & hose replacement, genuine nissan accessories from the shop, and two totally ridiculous coupons for $250 off your next vehicle. They also tucked in the pocket a hideous shiny silver bumper sticker announcing a $500 reward in case of theft.

There is an informational booklet, and the rear cover page is actually a detachable form to complete and mail in to request computer-based directions for a road trip. They discuss roadside assistance and free rental cars during repairs in the booklet, but this is from Cross Country, not Security+Plus.

Finally, the Cross Country booklet includes a bunch of rental car coupons for free upgrades and free days at National. Some quick Googling has turned up a "Cross Country Motor Club" that most auto manufacturers seem to use for their Roadside Assistance Plans. Nissan and Hyundai being two, which is fine for my Murano and my wife's '03 Sonata.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, since you were interested, I went out to the car and grabbed my Cross Country book. Here's what's included:

• Keychain registration system
    Emergency Road Service
    Emergency Towing and Wrecker
    Emergency Lockout
    Reimbursement for Emergency Travel Expenses (which covers flight/train/bus, hotel, and food after an accident that occurs >100 miles from home, $100/day for food and lodging, $500 total)
    The hideous silver membership sticker
    The theft reward sticker ($5,000 not $500 as I said earlier)
    Trip routing for fastest route or scenic route
    Emergency cash via Western Union
    Membership card for identification and discounts
A free copy of the "CCMC National Travel and Recreation Discount Book" which includes

• Car/Truck/RV rental discounts
    hotel/motel discounts
    movie theater discounts
    Emergency medical information chart for use by EMTs when you are unable to communicate
    Camping and campground info
    Car games for the kids
    Highway safety tips
    Vehicle Maintenance Checklist
    Gas Saving Tips
    Hot-Line Decal (???)
    Credit Card registration (lost wallet service I guess)
Then it goes on to list the preventive maintenance, the credit card registration page, medical information form, accident report form, and car games for kids.

The discount booklet has coupons for rental car agencies:

• free one class upgrade at hertz
    $20 off a weekend rental at hertz
    $20 off any rental at national
    one free day at national
    $15 off a 3-day rental at budget
    $20 off a weekly rental at budget
    $15 off a weekly rental at avis
    free weekend day at avis
    two coupons for up to 4 passes at Leows Cineplex at $5.50 each
    two passes for up to 6 passes at $6 each at Prestige Theaters
Edit Totally forgot about the service coupons. I've used up all but one of the oil change coupons, but still have:

• 20% off tire rotation
    15% off senior citizen's discount
    $5 off brake inspection
    15% off any accessory
    $10 off belt &hose replacement
    50% off exterior car wash
    12% off transmission service
    10% alignment
    $20 off a car care service plan purchase (???)
    $250 off my next car

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Thanks for all the detail. I will take a printout to my dealer when I talk to them. The finance person who sold me the car better have a good excuse for not having sent it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
zebelkhan-
Note that it sounds like EasternPA is talking about a completely different warranty. His is through Cross Country. Sounds like yours in Nissan Security+. They are not the same. Security+ is specific to Nissans. Cross Country is not.

I have the 5 year - 100,000 mile Nissan Security+ Gold Preferred Package. I got the book, paperwork, and ID card about 2 months after I purchased my Murano. It did not come with any coupons, though I never expected it to.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
adavid said:
zebelkhan-
Note that it sounds like EasternPA is talking about a completely different warranty. His is through Cross Country. Sounds like yours in Nissan Security+. They are not the same. Security+ is specific to Nissans. Cross Country is not.
I think you maybe right. I do have Nissan's Security Plus. EasternPA mentioned Security+ in his first post so I thought they were both the same. Thanks for the info. I still feel bad about not getting the coupons especially since I am SURE I paid more than anyone else in the forum for the same extended warranty. Wife's fault...She wanted to get it over with right there!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I purchased extended warranties for my last three cars. A Honda, an Acura and a Nissan Pathfinder. I used the warranty on all three cars. The Honda and Acura were very pleasant experiences but the Nissan Security + was a different story.

At approx. 50,000 miles, I had a bad fuel sending unit. I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to pay for the repair. It was a major hassle and I had to pay for the repairs up front and wait for a reimbursement check even though "fuel system is clearly listed as one of the covered parts.

At approx. 75,000 miles I had the first of three very expensive repairs to correct a well known warping exhaust headers problem. The dealer once again did everything they could not to pay for the repairs.

My pathfinder has almost 300,000 miles on it and other than the exhaust headers I have not had any other problems. Original transmission, clutch and engine. This was the main reason I wanted another Nissan but I skipped on Security + when I purchased my Murano. Don't forget about the deductible.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zooropa, thanks for your story. 300k miles is incredible!! That's a number you usually hear with Hondas.

For the others, sorry if I wasn't clear. Between my first two posts, I tried to indicate that I've been looking for more details and experiences on the Security+Plus Gold plan that I purchased, but also went off on a bit of a tangent describing the Cross Country Motor Club membership that I believe my dealership gives out for free with each new car purchase. I know and have used Cross Country, but wanted to hear more about Security+Plus, which I have but am not familiar with.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zebelkhan said:

I am SURE I paid more than anyone else in the forum for the same extended warranty. Wife's fault...She wanted to get it over with right there!
I paid $1395 for 72 months/100,000 total miles just for the Security+Plus Standard Gold. Of course, I explained how I just got 10 years/100,000 miles on the factory warranty on my wife's Hyundai a couple months earlier. Don't know what others paid, but IIRC he extended it to 100,000 for me after a little threatening and begging.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I bought the Nissan Security Plus plan when I purchased my 00 Maxima SE. The dealer had all the information in their computer system (I'm assuming it's in the Nationwide Nissan system) and whenever I had an issue, they simply fixed it and presented me with an invoice that showed what was covered uner the warranty and what wasn't, I paid for.

I had the 100k, 48 months because of my "high mileage" habits and I also went with the zero deductible. Paid right at $900 in September of 1999 when I bought the car.

I never had any complaints at all with either the service or the items covered or not covered, it always made perfect sense to me.

I'm still debating whether or not I'll get the extended plan on the Murano as so far I've had no issues to speak of and am at 28.5k in about 14 months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Security + Warranty

I hemmed and hawed about getting the extended warranty. The financy guy, after of course presenting the regular expensive warranty option, offered me a fleet warranty which is refundable if not used. Other than interest on the loan, of course. This was more of a personal comfort issue for me since the transmission technology is fairly new, so many electronics, etc.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts