Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the European Murano uses a different tire size: Dunlop Grantrek ST20 in 225/65/18 size. I am assuming an H-speed rating since Euro-spec Muranos are speed limited to 124mph (woohoo, 6mph faster than ours). JDM spec Muranos use the same tire as well.

The Dunlop tire looks pretty lousy from Tirerack's picture.

So its official, Nissan sells ALL Muranos worldwide with crappy tires.

·
5,244 Posts
Eric,

I would not trust TireRack's ratings that much. Given my experience I would say "stay away from TireRack's ratings"...

But then again I can be wrong......I just could have gotten "bad copy of tires" as people on photo boards say about lenses....

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I agree about tire track, I don't find them dependable. I really like my Goodyears and also many Dunlops. I am interested in finding out the Euro Mo goes 124, Bet we can change ours if you want to hack the CPUand gain a little Hp at the same time.

When Sugar rush Posted this I really like what I saw. I always raced on Dunlops (SCCA)

Press release here: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...02557673&EDATE=

And here is the thread pattern and spec:
http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/d...rea=Performance

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah add 6mph but lose 14hp!

For tirerack, I would not place much faith on the ratings if there were very few reviews. If there were many reviews, I would trust it more. I have made numerous tire purchases from tire rack and so far their ratings have been dead on, although I do believe you Kris when you say the Yokos ride poorly.

My comment about tirerack was not about the ONE user comment on the ST20. It was on the picture of the tire itself. The tread pattern is old hat, sort of a Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce pattern - that was a terrible all season high performance tire with extremely limited snow traction.

Grip the links you posted do not work, but the ST20 is not a tire Dunlop widely sells in North America anyways.

·
5,244 Posts
Eric,

"poorely" does not even come close. Please see my update in Yokohama Geolandars thread. But then again I just may have a "lemon" tires......

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kris I actually read your update on the rack this morning. I hope you can get your balance issues solved. Its a sad day when one must resort to the pathetic OEM tires for a satisfactory ride. Perhaps you can try the Toyo Proxes ST next? Thats the one on the top of my list now, and reviews on the forum have been favorable. Its a perfect +0 fit too in 255/60/18.

·
4,994 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Don,

1. I like the tire. it does seem to be good fit for Murano.
2. Did you see the price! :eek:
3. Still no Murano or even close to Murano sizes.

I believe we have two real choices:
1. Stick with OEM (not bad choice for normal driving)
2. Get a new set of rims (different size)

·
4,994 Posts
I hope to see the price reduce and the size become available for the MO they do make a snow tire that fits however. The price is out of sight. It's part of why I like the Goodyear's a pretty good combination of performance and especially price.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GripperDon said:
Try this instead, I guess they don't work when copied over from Sugars post for some reason. You can see the tire there and then hit the links.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3304&highlight=Dunlop

Actually I like the AT20 as well. However, the Euro OEM tire is the ST20. I looked really close at a Japanese Murano pic and it said ST not AT. Boo...

I'd still give anything for a decent car all season high performance tire though. The AT20's have a very pedestrian tread pattern compared to more sporty tires. Something like the Dunlop A2 Sport or SP5000. Or Bridgestone RE950.

Kris, since you don't live an area where there is snow, why not consider a summer tire? They are guaranteed to perform better in dry or wet.

·
4,994 Posts
The "pedestrian tread shape" really appealed to me about the Dunlops.

"5-Block tread design minimizes subjective and pass-by noise
Jointless Band Technology, a spiral wound nylon cap ply technology"

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GripperDon said:
These really appealed to me about the Dunlops.

"5-Block tread design minimizes subjective and pass-by noise
Jointless Band Technology, a spiral wound nylon cap ply technology"

I remember when Dunlop's Jointless Band Technology debuted on the very famous Dunlop D60A2 in the mid '90's. That was a GREAT tire at the time. It would probably still outperform the OEM Eagle LS's today.

I am actually very surprised that its been 2+ years after the Murano debuted and still no acceptable aftermarket replacement tire. The BBS should start an email compaign and flood Dunlop, Yokohama, Bridgestone, and Pirelli.

·
4,994 Posts
I did file a request with Dunlop for the MAXXX. I like a number of Pirelli. Yokohama Mama's are just that shimmy and shake and I am also only likewarm for Brigstone, which used to be good. Just my opionions not gospel.

·
5,244 Posts
Eric,

you are right with summer tire. I did consider it though not much to choose from either. I am beginning to have enough of experimenting and will try to talk the tire dealer to replace Yokos with GDY LS. At least I know what i am getting. And the LS were not that bad actually for everyday driving....

Just my 2c

·
4,994 Posts
Your 2cents and my 2 cents we have almost got a nickle's worth. :D

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
While I have no problem with people trying to improve the Murano Tire situation, and most certaianly the GY LS is NOT a good snow tire, have we all forgotten that ONE of the reasons we bought this thing was because it Handles well? Remember that?

It still does.

Here in FL unless something comes out that is "acclaimed" for it's dry and wet handling ability, I will stick with the OEM tires when it comes time.
No tire that I have seen gives the combination of QUIET, SMOOTH and DRY TRACTION moreso than the GY LS at ANY price.
And NO light truck tire is going to do that either.

Now it would be a whole "tuther thing" if I lived where it snowed.
And if I lived where it snowed a lot , I would move. :D

Homer

·
4,994 Posts
Right On ! hfelknor Homer

·
5,244 Posts
hfelknor said:
While I have no problem with people trying to improve the Murano Tire situation, and most certaianly the GY LS is NOT a good snow tire, have we all forgotten that ONE of the reasons we bought this thing was because it Handles well? Remember that?

It still does.

Here in FL unless something comes out that is "acclaimed" for it's dry and wet handling ability, I will stick with the OEM tires when it comes time.
No tire that I have seen gives the combination of QUIET, SMOOTH and DRY TRACTION moreso than the GY LS at ANY price.
And NO light truck tire is going to do that either.

Now it would be a whole "tuther thing" if I lived where it snowed.
And if I lived where it snowed a lot , I would move. :D

Homer
:6:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Eric L. said:

So its official, Nissan sells ALL Muranos worldwide with crappy tires.
I'd go one step further, Nissan sells ALL cars worldwide with crappy tires...The first thing I did after taking receipt of my Patrol was to change the tyres...I mean what is the point of one of the world's toughest off-roader (Hey the UN uses them in war zones, and I am talking civilian cars here...) to supply them with normal ST tyres...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have to revise my comment above...

Having driven the Grandtrek ST20 I can say it is very well suited to the car...Incredibly quiet, excellent traction in the wet situation...Perhaps not much good in the snow as it is a normal 'summer' tire but for normal day-to-day use it is great...

Disclaimer: This comment is based upon my initial 30 minutes in a UK Murano so probably not worth the bytes it is taking up :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts