Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, lets start figuring out what 1,600 things could have changed for the European spec Murano for 2005?

"New Nissan models destined for Europe, to be unveiled at next month’s Paris motor show, include a seven seater Pathfinder SUV all but identical to the US-built version, the Murano crossover with the 350Z sportscar’s V6 engine and a revised Patrol offroader.

The European version of the Murano is powered by an adapted version of the 3.5-litre VQ V6 engine from the 350Z coupe and roadster. Nissan Europe claims the Murano has proved to be a huge hit in North America where it has been on sale for more than a year.

More than 1,600 changes have been made to the US specification Murano to suit the European market but these were not detailed in a Nissan statement.

Nissan claims the Murano’s continuously variable automatic transmission with six speed manual mode is unique in the SUV’s segment. This model also has the all mode switch-controlled 4x4 system.

There will be just one version of the Murano on sale in Europe with a high standard equipment level including satellite navigation with TMC, colour rear-view parking camera, Bose sound system, bi-xenon headlamps and leather interior.

The Murano will go on sale early in 2005 across Europe but prices and specification will not be announced until the Paris show, when the order book will open."

Complete story:

http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=45483

1. Rear view camera
2. ?

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
here is what i thought are the couple things:

sugarrushmurano version:
1. (like what u said)
2. new redesign steering pump
3. alternator change
4. full spare tires
5. less ticks (on A and B pillar and doorpanel).
6. higher quality trims to compete with Euro taste.
7. xm prewired, unlike 03 <--edited as no xm in europe
7. dvd navigation euro map version
8. cellphone mute enable and speaker phone built in
9. gold+ extended warranty becomes basics. Most euro car have extremely good warranty, including full free maintenance.
10. seats rattling fix

·
Registered
828 Posts
Over 1600 changes made to new MO (From Merged Thread by Jaak)

The European version of the Murano is powered by an adapted version of the 3.5-litre VQ V6 engine from the 350Z coupe and roadster. Nissan Europe claims the Murano has proved to be a huge hit in North America where it has been on sale for more than a year.

More than 1,600 changes have been made to the US specification Murano to suit the European market but these were not detailed in a Nissan statement.

Nissan claims the Murano’s continuously variable automatic transmission with six speed manual mode is unique in the SUV’s segment. This model also has the all mode switch-controlled 4x4 system.

There will be just one version of the Murano on sale in Europe with a high standard equipment level including satellite navigation with TMC, colour rear-view parking camera, Bose sound system, bi-xenon headlamps and leather interior.

The Murano will go on sale early in 2005 across Europe but prices and specification will not be announced until the Paris show, when the order book will open.

Link: http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=45483

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
11-512. Steering wheel on the other side for England..and all the other things that have to be moved (Knowing how marketers think, that probably accounts for 500 of so changes!)

513. Speed limiter upped? We all cruise at 90 in the UK! Germany even more.

BTW. I don't think XM is available in Europe.
Skinny spare wheels are allowed too.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
514. tick in front suspension fixed
515. creek in rear suspension fixed

lol

·
4,601 Posts
No XM or Sirius for Europe because they're US services and even if they were allowed to sell them, the satellites are in the wrong place for Europe.

However, there's absolutely no reason why Clarion couldn't take their CeNET version of the DAB receiver and do an N-Bus version. Canadians could use that, too as we have terrestrial DAB. (Digital Audio Broadcast)

I bet 1,550 of the changes are marketing hype or insignificant.

Full size spare is already standard in Canada, so that one's easy. The Japanese Murano already has a number of changes as well, so many of them are done.

It will be interesting to see what parts can be taken from the European version...

Oh, and I think I'll merge this with the other thread of the same topic posted a few minutes earlier. Looks like great minds think alike!
New for 2005!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another change for Europe

While I'm still waiting for my black beauty to arrive (dealer promised delivery in Switzerland march 3rd!), one major change was announced : Instead of fog-lights the european version will get additional oil coolers positioned in the front bumper holes to accomodate higher speed and temperature levels.
Did any of you had problems running 85 in Texas or Arizona?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi redhouse,
I've had my Murano since July 2003 with absolutely no temperature related problems. The (average) daily high temp for the summer months is about 105 F.
Richie :)

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Re: Another change for Europe

redhouse said:
While I'm still waiting for my black beauty to arrive (dealer promised delivery in Switzerland march 3rd!), one major change was announced : Instead of fog-lights the european version will get additional oil coolers positioned in the front bumper holes to accomodate higher speed and temperature levels.
Additional coolers!?!? That seems odd. I ran the "triple/triple" (over 100 mph and degrees F) a number of times while traveling throughout the southwest in the early summer without a hitch. No problems at all.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I agree I don't know of any temperature related problems here in Arizona, However they claim the CVT can run at 200+F. Read this CVT link.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/030402.htm

Part of the reason for the "special and esxpensive" Tranny oil.

Maybe they expect big loads in the mountians, producing high temperatures as compared to worrying about ambient temps. maye they just don't want the fogs due to some regulation and its an easy way to fill up the holes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is some info regarding Nissan testing under AZ desert conditions.

In addition, NTCNA does its proving ground testing at the Arizona Test Center, located on 3,050 acres in the Arizona low desert where temperatures can rise to 115 F. This intense heat makes ATC the perfect place to test Nissan vehicles for hot weather, heat durability, engine cooling and air conditioner performance. ATC also has a 5.7 mile high-speed oval and four individual road courses which are designed to test vehicle durability, reliability and ride comfort. ATC engineers see vehicle testing as an ongoing commitment. They not only test prototype vehicles but also test vehicles after they are in the market to ensure long-term reliability.

Arizona Test Center (South of Phx on Maricopa Rd.)
7815 N. White & Parker Road
Stanfield, AZ 85272
Phone: 520/421-4100
Fax: 520/421-4298
Richie :2:

·
Registered
110 Posts
First time nissan was talking about 1600 changes european MO but now in all reviews which i was reading they say there is only 300 changes. There is no fog lights because there are additional break coolers. Main changes are additional program in cvt for high speeds (i think it's our S), suspension change, less power, diffrent front and rear lights, tire size is 225/65/18, AWD is 91%/9%, radio and climate control from x-trail, so there is no dual zone AC. I think for nissan one change=change placment of one switch on dashboard. In real there is only few changes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Interesting thing is that price of Mo in Europe is 58000$. Prise of the same version in US is 35000-38000$. So i am happy becaus i imported my MO from US to Poland and it cost me only 43000$ so i saved 15000$.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: Another change for Europe

redhouse said:
I think teonek is correct in saying that the front bumper holes are used to route fresh cooling air to the brakes. That makes perfect sense and goes well with the statement "to accomodate higher speed and temperature levels".

·
4,994 Posts
Must be Autobhan driving and hard braking. With the rout to Calfornia from here being routinely traveled at 85/90 when it's 105F to 110F in the desert, on the way, they must being going faster that we all are.

·
5,244 Posts
Average speed on autobahns used to be 150 km/hr (appr. 90 mph). This is history however. Too much traffic. Though you still find places that Porches go 250km/hr (150mph). It was frequent occurrence in late 80's. Anyway, I don’t believe that Murano is designed for such speeds. 100 mph (160 km/hr) is really all I would feel comfortable with. And on a good road of course. FX – different story. Would take it to 200 km/hr without second thought…..

·
5,244 Posts
teonek said:
Interesting thing is that price of Mo in Europe is 58000$. Prise of the same version in US is 35000-38000$. So i am happy becaus i imported my MO from US to Poland and it cost me only 43000$ so i saved 15000$.
$50,000 in South Americ last time I checked. And with 4-speed outo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll find out soon enough ...

Scanning through the european car magazines, I've found this article :

http://rhein-zeitung.de/a/service/auto/test/t/rzo114264.html

In there, the editor explicity states that they put in additional oil coolers.. (Yes, I know, the article is in german ...) probably because Nissan expects customers to drive the Mo at autobahn speed (i.e. 120 mi/h), fully loaded, for hours.

By the way, GripperDon, there are no specific laws against fog lights in Europe, the X5, LandCruiser, RangeRovers etc. have them for ages.

Well, time will tell!

·
4,994 Posts
Thanks didn't know so that was why the question. I guess those boys may be on to the CVT failures, the Tranny temp is too high for the seals, belts etc. If that the case us boys in Arizona may be in for disproportionate failure rates.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Most of the changes that I am aware of are already mentioned, though it also seems that there are changes between European countries...

The UK spec will have, the dealer where I placed the order allowed me to browse the Nissan UK Intranet:

1. Fog lights - hey we need them in the UK, I think the UK has the international patent on fog ;-)
2. A space saver spare wheel - booh, I hate those.
3. Dual-zone climate control
4. The bose stereo, with sub in the spare wheel
5. Tuned steering box - supposedly for a better feel and compete with X5
6. Heavily tuned suspension - done by the Nissan UK engineers, there are major manufacturing sites in the UK with an R&D division. Also said to compete/better the X5. And said on the Intranet to come to the US for the 06 model year.
7. TMC for the SatNav - Automatic traffic/roadworks information integrated with auto reroute.
8. No homelink/compass rearview mirror - booh! It is said that they found it of no use in the UK where people have smaller garages and no remote openers - And I just had my 14ft remote control sectional garage door installed - Booh Nissan, Booh Nissan bad choice :-(
9. No electrically adjustable pedals for the UK - something to do with the steering wheel being on the right.
10. Different alloy wheel style to the US with tyres size 225/65/r18
11. Colours are called differently
12. The lights in the UK are tuned to the left instead of the right.
13. Exclusivity, only 1000 Murano's sold per year - I think it will be even more exclusive as there is a lot of Badge snobbery in the UK. No matter how good it is, people prefer a BMW, VW, MERC, Volvo or the pending Audi Q7...Even the Lexus is considered just a Japanese Toyota...Suits me, I rather have something different..Also I went to 4 Nissan Dealers to do a deal and none of them have taken an order yet...Roll-on March...
14. Flock covered B-pillars
15. Redesigned air-vents
16. Rubber mountings for suspension - to improve a quieter ride, can anyone confirm that the US version doesn't have that? I find that hard to believe...
17. Different parking brake - I think the pedal is removed to favour hand operation
18. Switches are changed - to give more of a German feel to them
19. Different speedo-meter - mainland Europe only

That's about it from what I can remember...

But of-course the proof will be in the pudding, and unfortunately us European Murano drivers won't have access to a US model for true comparison. Except our Polish friend who imported one!

BTW The Intranet stated: 1300 changes and 300 different parts

1 - 20 of 38 Posts