Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been staying at the Hilton in midtown NY for weeks now, and the valet drivers love to bring my car in and out of the garage. During this past week, I hit 3,000 miles since the last oil change and the oil change warning started showing up. Well, when the attendant pulled up in my car, he jumped out and started telling me that I needed to get an oil change, and lecturing me about maintaining my car! It was just so funny, because it seems like those guys wish they could keep going when they bring some of the cars up.
Sorry, that's MY job! :2:
On a side note, the car felt rather squirrely on the way home. I checked the TPMS, and I saw

36!?!? What would make my tire pressure go up like that? Can't be summer heat.. the car stays 5 floors undergound, and we had a cool rain most of the week. It did explain why the car felt strange, though. At 95-100mph, I'm sure a difference that drastic would be quite noticeable.

Finally, does anyone else notice a difference in performance when it gets closer to the time to get an oil change? I feel a definite change in the responsiveness of the engine and the perfection I've become accustomed to comes right back as soon as I pull away from the dealer's express lube. I'm almost 1,000 over, which is fine since my dealer gives me free oil changes at 3,750 miles, not 3,000.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like to run with 40 in front and 36 in back. More responsive;only a little rougher. Haven't noticed any odd tread wear at 8K but the faster the GY's wear out the better.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew something was up because the car usually rides flat as a board, but this time it felt like that board was balanced on a baseball. Very skittish, overreactive and tippy in lane changes.. the steering wheel shake came back in a very bad way.. it was just not the driving experience I'm used to.

Anyway, hitting the express lube today. That should straighten everything out.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The express lube will pump your tires up to a very high number, I suggest you check it yourself when you get home and adjust accordingly. I use 36F/34R and the ride and handling are fine.

One front tire may suddenly have higher air pressure if you've been making many high speed turns. Maybe those valets were having fun making all those right turns in the parking garage hehe.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I refuse vallets to drive my MO...

One front tire may suddenly have higher air pressure if you've been making many high speed turns. Maybe those valets were having fun making all those right turns in the parking garage hehe.
Quite often i refused to have my Mo vallet.
As the matter of fact, i refused lots of vallet service when it comes to my vehicle, either it is Mo or my prev cars. I heard too many horor stories some vallets damaged the car they are driving either superficial sratches, dings, or major ones.

I only get vallet, if it is realy really super dificult to get parking.

·
5,268 Posts
I drive rentals almost every week - and on return to the home airport I am always nicely surprised with the MO! So no wonder the "valets" are more than happy to drive the MO!:D

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After leaving express lube, the pressures were 34 and 33 all the way around, and the handling returned to normal. And, thanks to the oil change and the free gas treatment (not sure how I got that!) the engine performance came right back, too.

My tires are chipin' *all* the time on turns now. I will definitely need some new treads before winter. I can feel it starting to slip during the very slick "first 10 minutes of rain". I really don't want to go into another wicked winter on this rubber.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
What is your milage?

My tires are chipin' *all* the time on turns now. I will definitely need some new treads before winter. I can feel it starting to slip during the very slick "first 10 minutes of rain". I really don't want to go into another wicked winter on this rubber.
Mine is an 03 MO with"only" 12K milage and i got the same feeling that I should start shopping for new set of tires. The oem ones, i dont think they will be safe for another winter....

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
33+K miles. Another thread around here really had me interested in the Kumho ECSTA 265/60 18's. I'm starting to have a feeling that I will be riding on them before, say, October.

·
5,268 Posts
EasternPA

when, and if you get the Kumho please let us know. I have 21k miles on mine and will be looking fo a new set of tire most likely Dec/Jan time frame. I am leaning towards Kumho 265/60/18 as they have great reviews. The other choice would be Yokohama Geolander.....

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kris said:
when, and if you get the Kumho please let us know. <snip> The other choice would be Yokohama Geolander.....
I remember that long, involved thread. IIRC the Geolanders either didn't get as high marks or didn't have as many reported miles.. I can't recall for now. Maybe it was lower snow traction which means a lot more to me in PA than you in GA.

I wil certainly post it here, though, don't worry! :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
I never let the valet drive any of my cars. Back in the day, a friend of mine used to park cars at a place in SoCal, (Gladstone's on PCH for those who care). Anyway, they would routinely joyride the various cars... the hotter the car, the better.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do hear about valet horror stories, but when staying at a hotel in Midtown Manhattan, I don't have much of a choice. Plus, I have the uncanny ability to remember which song was on when I parked, and at what point it was in the song. My wife will sometimes try to change CDs on me while I'm picking up pizza and I have to go on a scavenger hunt to find the cd she took out!

Granted, I don't write the mileage down or anything, but if they're crazy enough to take a joyride with my car through the streets of New York, they're braver than I give 'em credit for. Haven't had a problem yet

:4:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts