Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've become more and more interested in so-called "experimental travel" lately, and have a growing interest in delivering other peoples' cars as part of a driveaway service. The Auto Driveaway Company is apparently the largest driveaway company in the US with 80 offices nationwide. Here's a sample list of cars waiting to be delivered somewhere from NYC:

http://www.nycdriveaway.com/availablecars.htm

They have three 2006 Chrysler 300's waiting to be delivered to Florida! The Philly office has 3 cars that need to get to California as another example.

Has anyone done this before? Was it fun? A PITA? This company pays for the first tank of gas and takes a refundable $300 deposit for damage. They also specify the route to take and allow for 10% overage in mileage, but I read some guy's blog that says he's never been charged an overage fee in 14 drives -- including one time going 600 miles over! What do you guys think? I'm planning to go to Florida the week after Christmas, and may give it a shot just to try something new. I can always fly home if there's nothing coming back up this way (who goes from Florida TO New York in the winter anyway?)

EDIT: The national list shown here http://www.autodriveawaydc.com/carlist.html does not list those 2006 Chrysler 300's going from NY to Florida anymore :(

·
Registered
781 Posts
This is almost weird. I had this brainstorm of delivering cars/parts as a way to make some side money. It is slightly different from what I was thinking - but it'd be fun.

·
5,244 Posts
Interesting, so you have to pay for gas and travel expenses.....pretty cheap for them to "move" cars. Just one tank of gas.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Kris said:
Interesting, so you have to pay for gas and travel expenses.....pretty cheap for them to "move" cars. Just one tank of gas.
The driver gets a free car rental out of the deal.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Wow.
That means the truck drivers that plow the roads get a free truck rental out of the deal? :D

Homer

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
This is almost weird. I had this brainstorm of delivering cars/parts as a way to make some side money. It is slightly different from what I was thinking - but it'd be fun.
Combine Both,? Maybe temporary roof rack? Some kind of temporary hitch?

Grip

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
EasternPA said:
I've become more and more interested in so-called "experimental travel" lately, and have a growing interest in delivering other peoples' cars as part of a driveaway service. The Auto Driveaway Company is apparently the largest driveaway company in the US with 80 offices nationwide. Here's a sample list of cars waiting to be delivered somewhere from NYC:

http://www.nycdriveaway.com/availablecars.htm

They have three 2006 Chrysler 300's waiting to be delivered to Florida! The Philly office has 3 cars that need to get to California as another example.

Has anyone done this before? Was it fun? A PITA? This company pays for the first tank of gas and takes a refundable $300 deposit for damage. They also specify the route to take and allow for 10% overage in mileage, but I read some guy's blog that says he's never been charged an overage fee in 14 drives -- including one time going 600 miles over! What do you guys think? I'm planning to go to Florida the week after Christmas, and may give it a shot just to try something new. I can always fly home if there's nothing coming back up this way (who goes from Florida TO New York in the winter anyway?)

EDIT: The national list shown here http://www.autodriveawaydc.com/carlist.html does not list those 2006 Chrysler 300's going from NY to Florida anymore :(
Sure would be wonderful if you could arrange a driveaway back befoe you go.

Motels and food will be high. All in all the long drive can be a tireing thing. But if you have a spouse or friend to go along, drive some and are given enoughtime to sight see it might be ok.

Probablydepends on your youth and if you are driving stright thru to save money or are doing this for the sightseeing and the cost of lodging food etc are acceptable.

Grip

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Ever done a "driveaway"?

GripperDon said:

Sure would be wonderful if you could arrange a driveaway back befoe you go.

Motels and food will be high. All in all the long drive can be a tireing thing. But if you have a spouse or friend to go along, drive some and are given enoughtime to sight see it might be ok.

Probablydepends on your youth and if you are driving stright thru to save money or are doing this for the sightseeing and the cost of lodging food etc are acceptable.

Grip
It does sound interesting. I should have clarified that I was born with some weird gene that enables me to drive about 1,000 miles a day with almost no notice. I've done the Philly <-> Orlando drive nearly 30 times in 17 years, often straight thru. Plus I've earned nearly 1 million Hilton points traveling on business, so I can call Hilton (Hampton Inn too) on speed dial and have a room ready just about anywhere within minutes :) I know most people do this to save money.. I would probably do it just to try something different.

Southwest flies Philly to Orlando for $79, but there's just something about the drive that I love. I used to say that I don't appreciate just how far I'm getting away from work when I fly, and sometimes it takes a couple thousand miles of driving just to clear my mind!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ever done a "driveaway"?

EasternPA said:

Southwest flies Philly to Orlando for $79, but there's just something about the drive that I love. I used to say that I don't appreciate just how far I'm getting away from work when I fly, and sometimes it takes a couple thousand miles of driving just to clear my mind!
I'm the anti driving guy then.... If I could afford it, I'd take a helicopter to the office every day!

Don't get me wrong, I've driven to every coast and border this country has, most of them several times. I'd just prefer to fly, life's to short!

That said, I hate flying too! It's the lesser of the two evils for me though.

I'd be the one gladly paying this outfit to have my car driven by someone like you.

Different strokes...

·
5,244 Posts
deals aside...

I love driving too. Our next year vacations will be Rockies. Just debating now - fly or drive? Flying would save time (I have enough miles to fly to Europe several times free of charge!). But there is something about driving through the country………I just love it……so if you enjoying it go for that!

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ever done a "driveaway"?

Mr3Putt said:
I'm the anti driving guy then.... If I could afford it, I'd take a helicopter to the office every day!
For work, I'm definitely with you. I live partway between Philly and NYC and most of my work (IT consulting) comes from the NYC area and Northeast from there. I've often daydreamed of buying a ton of acreage farther west into PA or south into the MD or VA back country so I could pave my own landing strip and buy a 172. Or at least a helipad to fly a kit copter to a nearby airfield :) My last assignment was so close to a local airport that they ran their 3 private jets out of there and ran a shuttle van to and from the office. Now THAT would be a fun commute!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts