Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, the thread subject sounds a lot worse than what I mean. Yes, that was intentional! :D

Just picked up 12 80lb bags of concrete mix at Home Depot. 960 total pounds, spread out over the folded rear seat and rear cargo compartment.

Here's what it looked like full:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And empty:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife is currently shaking her head at me. Can't figure out how I could possibly think this is a big deal and why in the world I would want to immediately jump onto "that dumb internet group" to post pictures of it! :ucrazy:

But hey, I'm still in the honeymoon phase, so pppppppppppppppth to her! :p

I must say, it handled pretty well for having all that weight in the back. Definitely COULD have handled more, but I didn't want to push it. Definitly a rougher ride, especially going over the speed bumps in the Home Depot parking lot!

·
Registered
781 Posts
We did the same thing with rock last year. The steering gets really really loose without the weight over the front tires.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks for posting... that is good to know I could get that much weight in if I needed to.

Your wife and my fiancee should hang out together while you and I read and post on the net !! Jeeezz, they just don't understand. :D

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeannie said:
guess we know what you're doing this weekend!
Yeah, but sadly I'm going to have to make about 3 more trips like this before we have enough concrete. My back is starting to hurt just THINKING about this weekend... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I hauled about 4000 lbs of sand in a utility trailer towed by my Mo a couple of weeks ago. I also had too much tongue weight, I would not care to guess how much more than the 300 lb recommended max. Just a short trip, a few miles.......
No problem at all with power, but understandably it did not handle too nimbly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Corin said:
My wife is currently shaking her head at me. Can't figure out how I could possibly think this is a big deal and why in the world I would want to immediately jump onto "that dumb internet group" to post pictures of it! :ucrazy:

But hey, I'm still in the honeymoon phase, so pppppppppppppppth to her! :p

I must say, it handled pretty well for having all that weight in the back. Definitely COULD have handled more, but I didn't want to push it. Definitly a rougher ride, especially going over the speed bumps in the Home Depot parking lot!
You sure are wierd, you got brand new bride AND MO and you are hauling concrete bags and posting pics in this dumb site ...:8:

I could'nt agree with her more !:4:

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CVeeT said:

You sure are wierd, you got brand new bride AND MO and you are hauling concrete bags and posting pics in this dumb site ...:8:

I could'nt agree with her more !:4:
Well, the bride isn't new... 4.5 years and counting (or as she likes to say, "Forever minus 4.5 years"). And while the thought of a bag of concrete breaking open INSIDE my Mo gave me shudders, I did it anyway. In my Del Sol I'd have to make several dozen trips, in the Mo only 3 or 4. So I put down several blankets/tarps and braved it! :)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I would never do that to my MO...Home depot has trucks that you can rent for $21. Well worth it considering the stress you put on the beloved MO, or is it beloved????????:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Corin said:
Yes, the thread subject sounds a lot worse than what I mean. Yes, that was intentional! :D

Just picked up 12 80lb bags of concrete mix at Home Depot. 960 total pounds, spread out over the folded rear seat and rear cargo compartment.

Here's what it looked like full:

that pic gives me a good idea of how the Mo would look lowered if i were to go that route.. i think it looks good... if it were to be that low :D

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zebelkhan said:
I would never do that to my MO...Home depot has trucks that you can rent for $21. Well worth it considering the stress you put on the beloved MO, or is it beloved????????:confused:
I do love my Mo, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let it wuss out on me! :) I bought a Sport UTILITY Vehicle. It can handle this weight no problem.

That said, I'm planning to buy a utility trailer, which would have been much nicer to use in this situation, but as I don't have that yet and the project is this weekend, I'll just make a couple extra trips.

What's the point in buying an SUV if you don't need it?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Corin said:
What's the point in buying an SUV if you don't need it?
That is why I bought my MO too, except I don't have the heart to put it thru hard labor! But I know the day will eventually come...
And I am happy it can handle it with flying colors.....

·
4,601 Posts
I used it to pick up concrete, sand, and boxes of stone once, as there was some stonework on the house that was falling apart and had to be redone. The previous owner did a bad job of repairing it, and hopefully mine's better.

After it was loaded in, I saw how low it was and actually felt a little bad! So I took it easy on the way home. Of course, my other concern was what all that stuff would do if someone did something stupid in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes with hundreds of pounds of hard stuff behind me!

I made it up to the Murano, though. I let it bring me home a big screen tv.... It smiled all the way. (Or maybe it was me that smiled, anyway, at least one of us did!):D

·
Registered
593 Posts
I was driving down 34th Street in Manhattan last night and hit a large, deep rut cut all the way across the road. Ka-boom! No construction signs or warnings. Luckily, no cargo so no damage, but I can only imagine what would happen if I had half a ton of concrete in the back. Ouch!

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's what I bought it for!

we bought the MO just for those days. I know, we don't want our MO dirty either. We had to haul a bunch of mulch and bags of top soil, so ours looked just like that in the back.

The cargo mat got a little dirty, but it's cleanable, and the reason why we got the cargo mat in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I've been looking at trailers lately since I just put on my hitch.
I stepped on the ball yesterday and was surprised how easily it pushed down Mo.
Oh, and Jay, the link I posted in accessories has springs for lowering Mo.

I looked at 4x6 trailers and thought of stuff like my garage doors I will be replacing soon, and I said, "naaaaaaah". It will have to be at least a 4x8. I also noticed trailer prices go up about $100 a foot after 6 feet.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mgthe3 said:
I've been looking at trailers lately since I just put on my hitch.
I stepped on the ball yesterday and was surprised how easily it pushed down Mo.
Oh, and Jay, the link I posted in accessories has springs for lowering Mo.

I looked at 4x6 trailers and thought of stuff like my garage doors I will be replacing soon, and I said, "naaaaaaah". It will have to be at least a 4x8. I also noticed trailer prices go up about $100 a foot after 6 feet.
Yeah, I'm looking at trailers too, and am amazed at how steeply the prices go up. If you find a good one, let me know.

Remember that the MO doesn't have a very high number for the tongue weight. Something to consider when looking for a trailer. Get one that's well balanced so it doesn't push down on the MO too much.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts