Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 Mo 200,000 mi has very evident tipping of the rear wheels. Some extra wear on the inner surface of the tires as a result. Is this a common occurrence or what should I look at for problems that might be causing it?

·
Super Moderator
8,268 Posts
Sounds like a suspension problem - I don't have the specific layout in mind, but that's unusual with Macpherson strut suspension. I suggest having a shop look at it right away, since this is definitely not a common occurrence.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My 07 Mo 200,000 mi has very evident tipping of the rear wheels. Some extra wear on the inner surface of the tires as a result. Is this a common occurrence or what should I look at for problems that might be causing it?
My suspension is not as bad in the rear but from what I know, my camber is also off slightly. When I went to get an alignment done, ive been told that rust on the camber bolts is the issue and considering it has that rust, they were unable to fix up the slight change. It would require a bit more work than it's worth to fix it to a perfect setting. Now I'm not saying that your setting is fine to ride on, because I'm sure it's not with that significant tire ware but the same fix might be needed in your case at this point. Just throwing it out there if any shop throws that at you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE!!!
Severe rust on K frame. Failing around welds and elsewhere. SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE. Will post more with pics when I'm done replacing the entire k-frame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gkdavis62: Glad you started this post, wife hydroplaned to a safe resting point last week on I-95 in Florida. She and my daughter are safe but the side curtain air bags deployed as they went backyards off the side of the road. She has a 2014 Murrano and as they were pulling it up onto the rollback I noticed excessive inner wear (threads showing) on both rear tires, I'm going to have the K-Frame and camber bolts look at. Waiting to see your pictures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for not updating this with pictures sooner. Life tends to get in the way. Pic 1, the camber as seen prior to repair. Tire wear and poor handling. Pic 2, control arm anchor nearly separated. One panic stop away from total disaster. I think this was flexing, contributing to poor handling. Pic 3, frame perforation. this was covered with powder coating and was not really noticeable until I took a chipping hammer to it. Pic 4, cross section to show how thin it had become. The uncut section is shown in pic 7. It was deteriorating from the inside. Pic 5, the large flakes of powder coating. This was the main cause of failure. Powder coating that lifted but doesn't fall of, holding moisture under it. Pic 7, replacement frame. Bought used with some minor rust. Wire brushed, tapped over all surfaces with chipping hammer to test for soundness. Acid treated and painted. Pic 7, notice there is really no other rust under this vehicle.

BIG MESSAGE Get under there or have your service tech check and check carefully and thoroughly!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow

Pic 2 and 3 are pretty scary, especially for a 9 year old car. You'd expect this in a car that's been parked in a field for several years. I'm guessing your roads are salted in the winter and this car has never been rustproofed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, salt. I'm in Iowa. But this car was washed at least weekly with underbody spray. Wife's sales car and she's a stickler about washing. The powder coating let the salt and moisture in and held it. Notice the lack of rust elsewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys I am bringing this thread from the dead with probably the same problem. I bought my 2007 Murano 7 months ago and stated noticing this camber issue recently(about 1-2 months ago) and my car has very POOR handling in the rear end, and waaay more when I go through a huge bump(its like my rear shocks are gone), I feel like I will lose control any moment after the bump, my rear end swings left and right after it. Here is a picture of today. Notice the rear wheel! Is it worth fixing for a 13 year old car, or should I trade it in soon, before I kill myself somewhere? I drive 65 miles evry day only for work and feel insafe and scared everytime I go over a big hump/bump or uneven road surfices like where bridges connect on the highways... Otherwise I love the car but.... Open for suggestions!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah... thanks yall for your "help"... Got my new subfram - brand new from NISSAN and mounting it this week.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yeah... thanks yall for your "help"... Got my new subfram - brand new from NISSAN and mounting it this week.
You may not have gotten any responses because you asked a question that really only you can answer--is it worth fixing my car or should I move on? The new rear subframe answered that question.

I didn't see your original post, but I'm guessing that the rear subframe rotted through and that's why the wheel camber was way off? How much did it end up costing you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You may not have gotten any responses because you asked a question that really only you can answer--is it worth fixing my car or should I move on? The new rear subframe answered that question.

I didn't see your original post, but I'm guessing that the rear subframe rotted through and that's why the wheel camber was way off? How much did it end up costing you?
The frame +tax came to $550,thanks to a buddy of mine that works at Nissan.

·
Registered
820 Posts
That sounds like a great price! Do you happen to know what the list price for it? Will Nissan be installing it? If so, what will they charge for the labor? Thank you for the update!

·
Registered
7 Posts
That sounds like a great price! Do you happen to know what the list price for it? Will Nissan be installing it? If so, what will they charge for the labor? Thank you for the update!
The price is insanely good! Buuut the list price in my buddy dealership is $773 and my local dealership quoted me $836 and those are prices befor tax... I was mind blowen and on the edge of scrapping my car... Another friend of mine will be installing it for $270 labor, both dealerships said $120/hr and it takes 5hrs to change by the book. I def owe both my buddys cases of beer lol Tomorrow we are swaping it out, but not only that, we will be changing the other things on the pic. Last week we did new NGK Iridium plugs + 6 brand new OEM Nissan coils... Did a lot of work to the car and investied alot of money into it...
IMG_5893.jpg

·
Registered
820 Posts
For that price you made a great decision to keep it!

When my '03 front subframe rusted away it was going to cost me $1500-2000 at a local repair shop, and that's with a donor subframe...

How many miles do you have on your '07?

·
Registered
7 Posts
For that price you made a great decision to keep it!

When my '03 front subframe rusted away it was going to cost me $1500-2000 at a local repair shop, and that's with a donor subframe...

How many miles do you have on your '07?
Thank God I did. My Mo has exactly 130800 miles right now. It costed me even more cause the rear lower front control arms were shot and had to buy 2 OEM ones off of dealer cause there are no alturnate part. Just so you guys know, and they are expensive AF! $178 each without tax :( SO the invested amount in my Murano went up by exactly $400... Total cost for everything + rear brake pads and oil change + filter came to $1260. And still have to go through alighment tomorrow, so add $90 more - $1350... BUT she drives like new now, never knew it would be soo good to drive a 13 year old car with a 80% brand spanking new rear suspention + Subframe :O I got some pics for you guys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts