Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just bought a 2004 Murano SL. 34k miles. Love it. But, when the car has been sitting for a few hours, and i go an start it, the engine gives a pretty good size of oil burning smoke for 10 seconds. Then it goes away. My neighbor has the exact same Murano and his sometimes does this. Help? I have an appointment at the Nissan Dealer tomorrow to have it checked out.

Anyone have any thoughts about what this could be? Thanks so much!!!

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
35k here and not one puff.

It sounds like valve seals to me.

If you get a compression test (beats me how they could do that) and a couple of cylinders were low, that would be the rings not ever seating correctly.

My buddy's Max had 185k on it and not one puff...

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Questions

Is the smoke white or blue ?

White usually means water, Suspect head gasket.

Blue usually means oil, Suspect head gasket or ring oe valve seal.

Since it is only on start up and engine runs fine otherwiae it is probable not a valve seal.

Have a compression check run or do it yours self.

What does the exhaust pipe look like at the tail end, is it oily?

You can really clean the last 4 inches so it really clean and then inspect in a week, still clean water, oily well that plu the compression chech should tell the tale.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Its blue and definitely like the car is buring oil. Ok, its going in to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks!!!

·
5,100 Posts
Hope you have a good Dealer

Keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Could be your rings, which would be why it does ti only on start up (engine isn't warmed up, rings aren't fully expanded and sealing). Just my guess though, but blue smoke is definitely oil.

·
5,100 Posts
ITIST

:)

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
ITISTF

LOL :D

Yeah, valve seals usually begin hardening around 80k miles in domestics. They typically burn oil upon starting cold but when warm become pliable enough to seal. Usually though it is the drop or two or three that gets past a seal or seals when it is cooling off and drips into the cylinder through an open valve. Engine will run just fine and dandy, it just smokes when you cold start.

My bet is a stuck ring, or a defective valve seal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great feedback! Heading to the dealer now. The last post described it perfectly. Drive it to work, engine hot, engine cooling, sits for a few hours, then restart and a puff of blue smoke. I'll let you all know what the dealer says. Cheers from Seattle!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
There was a post a while back on a similar problem with another owner. The person was parking on an inclined driveway, which may have been causing the problem - can't exactly remember.

By any chance, do you have a steep driveway?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2004 MO brand new when they put Bardhal syntec because this was the brand that they were pushing at the dealer.

They quickly stopped using it as it was puffing blue out of every exhausts and too many clients were complaining. I know that I really disliked it when I started the MO in the garage.

Switching to Amsoil fixed the problem but I guess that any other oil would have done the trick as well. I don't know what is the problem with the Bardhal but Nissan products really can't live with it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
103500Km and not a puff of blue smoke( or white either) Have you noticed a drop in your oil level during this time?. Always have used Mobil1 on all cars.

·
5,268 Posts
75k miles, Mobil1 from second oil change. No problems so far...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the dealer said that they could not find anything wrong. All is normal. They did see the puff of smoke but told me it was normal. Their explanation? That the fuel injection system is designed to burn off excess fuel if the catalytic converter is not hot enough. They did a compression check and all within specs.

Ok, so i have a lil puffer now. BUt at least now i have documentation that its ok when and if i do have issues!

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
AlanSeattle said:
Their explanation? That the fuel injection system is designed to burn off excess fuel if the catalytic converter is not hot enough.
:confused: The fuel injection system does not burn off anything, so how can it burn off excess fuel? I guess we can chalk it up to dealer double-speak. :bsflag:

-njjoe

·
5,268 Posts
You have to give it to the dealers - they have infinite imagination!

It never ceases to amaze me how easy they can lie and what sort of BS they feed customers......

·
5,100 Posts
One word, BS

:eek:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I would go a step further and ask them for the documentation on the compression tests to see exactly how much the compression for each cylinder was "within specs".

·
Registered
746 Posts
And I would personally go visit another dealer and explain what the other one told me. They usually love to compete for your business among themselves and you would be surprised on how thorough this second inspection could be.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts