Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although some like the "I can't tell if it's running" sound of the stock Murano, I prefer a throatier, more authorative sound. Since nobody seems to be making an aftermarket exhaust yet, I had my local muffler shop take off that resonator for a start. It sounds a little better, but still pretty whimpy.

Can this do any harm to the engine?

Are there in fact any aftermarket exhaust systems out there? Afterall, a less constrictive system is going to add some power, performance and mileage. And sound like the Murano looks... cool.

Why did they bother to put dual exhaust tips on this thing, but not have dual exhausts? This is my only complaint with the Murano.

Chuck
Triple-black loaded SE with chrome wheels

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
From my understanding, resonators are to improve the deepness of the sound, and reduce the raspy, "tortured duck" sound. To improve the throatyness, I would replace the muffler.

If you want to improve the throatyness, I would also add an intake (JWT or Injen), as they add quite a bit of aggressive sound when accelerating.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Chuck,
Tons of cars are out there with Dual exhaust TIPS, but not true dual exhausts. Even if you had them rework the entire exhaust system you would probably not opt for true duals.

I, too, would love to wake up the Murano and put a less restrictive exhaust system on it. My only 2 qualms with this are:
1.) Warranty -- How foolish would it be for me to void a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty for more GRRR from the engine. If the dealer gave me a thumbs up and said go for it, I would do it in a heartbeat.
2.) Transmission -- Several people here believe that the Murano Transmission will not hold up in the long run if the HP is boosted beyond stock numbers. Last I saw, a CVT isn't very cheap...

I'm praying that when I take my car in for it's first inspection that the I can get someone at the dealer to give me the go ahead for putting on an exhaust system. My mustang could wake the neighborhood, the Murano...well, i at least the kids like my lights? :cool:

Someone on here had a magnaflow exhaust put on with 4 inch tips...do a quick search and you'll find a couple threads on this.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Still looking for something I can use to replace the center muffler that will be small , have less back pressure AND still BE QUITE. Any thoughts?

·
My MO's faster than yours
419 Posts
GripperDon said:
Still looking for something I can use to replace the center muffler that will be small , have less back pressure AND still BE QUITE. Any thoughts?

Get a high flow glaspack......they come in diffrent sizes...The longer the quieter.

Even with the center muffler gone....It will still be very quiet.

·
4,994 Posts
Great! Best of all three worlds: less sightly, less back press and no added noise.

·
4,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
OMG

I need to go into the muffler business. That was a most heinous price.
Holey sheet batman!

·
4,994 Posts
I agree, thats Why I want another source. What I would really like is quite but true duals starting at the point wher the flex pipes come together eliminating the merging rectangular box and seperate pipes ther back. I have a FWD and lots of space in the drive tunnel. But I want it as quite as it is now.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
One of the most restrictive segments of the Murano's exhaust is the Ypipe collector, the single pipe that unites the two exhaust manifolds. On other VQ engines, this mod has been very effective. On my 97 Maxima, this yielded a proven 10-15hp (with JWT cone) increase, along with an excellent exhaust growl.

I think this would be an excellent mod, if its available (its not right now). The Ypipe is downstream of the two cats, so it should be emissions compliant.

·
4,994 Posts
We agree, I sure am looking for a bolt on way to do it. If I can't find it I may just have something fabed and simply replace that portion and leave the rest of the exhaust, except I would like to get rid of that hung low "Center Muffler" BUT don't want any increase in loudness.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Once upon a time....
I wanted the same thing as you Don for a very loud cammed up camaro I owned. I put Hush Thrush mufflers on it. I bet somebody still makes quiet performance mufflers that you can get stuck on there....somehow.
I found these for you, from a very reputable company:
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster/hushii.html?id=BsMZYirW
Maybe have some tube work done and these welded in?
I bet it wouldn't be too hard to get a hold of stock exhaust manifold mating flanges to weld onto pipes to replace the oval.

I do grin when a ricer brrrrrrrs past me as I blow it away, silently.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Wowsers.
Flowmasters with a good sound?
That would be different.

When I had my mildly modded Mustang, I ran Flowmasters (Not these!) and my car sounded very similiar to a NAscar Winston Cup car!

Have you ever heard these?

Iffn I could get a real 50s mellloooooowwww sound............;)

Homer

·
4,994 Posts
mgthe3 how nice of your to go to the trouble, I'll check it out.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Someone on here used Y-pipes for a 350Z, and with some modifications got them to work. If there isn't something bolt on by the summer, this might be the route I take. I have no use for the extra power in the winter, so I'm waiting to see if there's a good aftermarket solution, or if I'll have to go custom.

·
4,994 Posts
You know I have done a couple of search andf drilled down and can't find that either, but I also thought I saw a replacement for the box and Y pipes.. By the wau they want over $200 each for the Flowmaster Mufflers.
:eek:

·
4,994 Posts
THANK YOU, I AM LOSING IT.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
yes Homer

I have had them as well on my sub....but not these. I tried to get the sound on the site to play here but....nada. I will try when I get home. Flowmaster used to be the best of the best.
You think FM's are loud?
I had a set of jeep header mufflers called Bionic Banana's on my Camaro before I went hush thrush. They exited right under the rear of the doors in a 4x6 inch oval----raised freakin hell----LOL!
Nothing as sweet as a mouse motor at 8 grand with those things on.
I had them for the resiliency, I could jack the car off the ground with them. I got tired of losing pipes to speed bumps and entrances. The header flanges were 4" off the ground.

Oh well :)

·
4,994 Posts
I want to cut off the area from just behind the the flex sections, Say in the middle of the two shown tubes on the way to the common area and remove the joint, the rectangular section and back to just after where the exhaust becomes round again.

Comments suggestions, un-forseen problems, advice? I don't know much about welding, I don't want to heat the tranny, Can this section be removed and then welded up? Do I need to do that?

See the picture below, courtesy of ENFORCER.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts