Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealer for the gas tank shield/seat belt recall service and asked them if they could take a look at one of the lug nuts. It was cross threaded by me awhile ago while I was rotating the tires. I figured they could replace it free, show some goodwill etc. I was getting ready to sign the "pre-work" estimate and I noticed a charge of $79.95! I said what's this $79.95 for? The service tech said it was for the lug nut. They may have to replace the stud too. I said you have to be kidding. Cross that off, I will fix it myself! I told him I thought they would just take care of it gratis, since it was such a small issue. That is why this was only the second time my MO has been back to the dealer in 40K miles. The other time was for the alternator recall.

By the way, I asked him about the aluminum gas tank shield that the 06's have, and he had no idea what I was talking about. He said the ones they put on are just a small plastic one that just covers the front of the tank, no problem. Of course they put on the big snow plow, stupid looking plastic one. I hate all dealers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You should just go to the parts dept and buy the nut. The last time I asked for 4 lug nuts to replace the keyed nuts, they cost $14.95 and I thought that was expensive.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
The estimated one included labor

They get something like $150 per hour. Help pay for the burden and overhaead of golf outings for the GM and prises for the employee competions, Etc. Now don't you feel bad buy them yourself anf instaling them yourself, Just think of the Economy please pay higher prices for everything. :2:

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
You can pick up a set of wheel locks for about $30 from the dealership parts department, or go to any good tire shop and they'll probably have a lugnut for you for $2.

But geez $80 to replace a lugnut. Make sure you ask your dealership for a "customer satisfaction survey" and fill it out accordingly! I'd like to see the look on the service manager's face when you ask for that. :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
The lug nut was cross-threaded, which meant the stud was probably cross-threaded as well. That's why they said they might have to replace the stud as well.

Cost of the lug nut, plus cost of the stud, plus labor to remove the caliper, rotor and hub, press out the old stud, press in the new one, re-install the rotor and hub and the caliper.

Yeah, he should have offered to do it for free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts