Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the AWD 3.5 litre 2010 model MO.
According to the CVTz50 the 'Engine Brake' value was set to '0 default', which I have just changed to 'Off'.
I'm doing this to see what effect the engine braking disabled will have on fuel economy and drivability. Particularly interested to see what will be the effect of this in respect to the vehicle maintaining at set speed with cruise control on and going down an incline.
I invite comments from anyone, and especially anybody who has experimented with engine braking settings, especially the (+) and (-) values that can be applied.
Nissan manual advises against using the (+) or (-) values, something about causing drivability problems.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I don't think disabling engine braking will have much or any effect on fuel economy. I would think little fuel is being used while engine braking, it just engages the engine more to aid in slowing it down.

I would also think disabling it would have a negative effect on maintaining the set speed when using cruise control and going down an incline...

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Engine braking takes effect when the car is decelerating and during this time the ECM cuts off the fuel injectors so you're not going to get any real fuel economy improvement by disabling it. It should reduce wear and tear on the engine and transmission to some extent, though. I recall a poster on one of these forums that claimed disabling engine braking lowered average CVT fluid temperatures (based on watching live data in the CVTz50 app). YMMV, but I guess you could try it and see if you have the app.

It will affect cruise control going down hills/mountains because the car can no longer slow down without using the brakes. FWIW, I disabled it a long time ago and had forgotten about it until I saw this thread.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I've tried all settings, just to see what they were like, and didn't notice any drivability issues.
Didn't measure fuel economy, as I tried the settings on the same fuel tank.
Was looking for something significant, I can say there was nothing unexpected or mind-blowing significant.
Engine braking 'off' gave much better coasting, a-l-m-o-s-t the same as my 2003 Ford Falcon (Aussie) car that has a conventional auto.
The other settings seemed insignificant in their difference to 'on', so much so that I gave up trying to discern what was happening.
I'll try again, maybe with 2 tanks per setting (to check economy), but as this car isn't my daily driver, 2 tanks for 5 settings may take eons.:sleep:
While the cruise control was engaged, engine braking was occurring to slow the vehicle during descents, on all settings (with the usual over-speed creep that my MO experiences if the incline is to steep or I've just crested a hill).
I haven't been able to find any tech info re the engine braking settings.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
9,369 Posts
What are you trying to achieve?

To me, an essential component of "drivability" is having good engine braking to reduce the number of times I use the brakes. I always appreciated the Murano's engine braking, and when I had a rental car that coasted like it was free-wheeling on deceleration, it really bothered me.

If you want maximum gas mileage at the expense of engine braking, then you're probably on the right path. It's not a path I would choose, but it will probably work for you. The tradeoff will be increased brake wear and less mileage in between brake pad and rotor changes.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are you trying to achieve?
Increased fuel economy would be good.
And to satisfy my curiosity, and to perhaps provide some info on the effect of the engine braking settings (that I haven't yet found written up anywhere).

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I don't think you're going to get any noticeable increase in fuel economy messing with the engine braking settings. Engine braking occurs when the car is decelerating and the ECM already reduces or cuts off fuel delivery under most decel conditions. If anything, you'll have some small reduction in wear and tear on the engine/transmission at the expense of the brake pads. One might see that as a benefit since brake pads are easier and cheaper to replace than a transmission.

From the service manual:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would really like my 2021 Platinum to actually use engine braking when using cruise control (ICC and "standard").
Since I bought the vehicle there sends to be no engine braking in CC.
Going down an incline, the vehicle just goes faster and faster, with the selected speed indicator flashing like it's yelling, "Hey! You're going too fast!"

If I'm behind another vehicle with ICC on, engine braking keeps me the selected distance behind that vehicle.

With CC off, the vehicle doesn't freewheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts