Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any views on how useful it is to have an extended warranty on a Platinum 2019. Dealer recommends it (not surprising!!) but also adds we recommend it because of the high level of electronics in this model. Views/ suggestions welcome

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,260 Posts
Any views on how useful it is to have an extended warranty on a Platinum 2019. Dealer recommends it (not surprising!!) but also adds we recommend it because of the high level of electronics in this model. Views/ suggestions welcome
Use the forum search and you'll find several days worth of "reading" on this topic...Narrow the search to just the 3rd generation forum since that's where this question is asked the most (for obvious reasons).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It is not much the electronics, but the CVT.

Reactions: Mo48

·
Registered
2019 Platinum 2WD White
14 Posts
The engine is packed into a small space which makes replacing things like water pump,alternater,a/c compressor, very labor costly. Check YouTube videos on this as well as the CVT. This car is like owning a BMW. When the warranty is done get rid of it unless you like to gamble.

·
Super Moderator
8,753 Posts
The engine is packed into a small space which makes replacing things like water pump, alternater, a/c compressor, very labor costly. Check YouTube videos on this as well as the CVT. This car is like owning a BMW. When the warranty is done get rid of it unless you like to gamble.
That may feel true for those who rely entirely on dealerships for mechanical work. Going to a good indy mechanic reduces the cost of mechanical work. However, owning two BMW 3-series, I would differ in terms of parts cost.

And if, like many of those on this forum, you happen to be a DIY mechanic, the story changes. In that case, replacing things like alternators, starters, AC components, water pumps and brakes is relatively routine and no reason to worry about the vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Platinum 2WD White
14 Posts
I agree with what you said. I did all my own work for 50 plus years. My son is a great mechanic. He is so busy that I don't want to bother him even though he would take the time. I wanted the warranty for piece of mind in case anything would happen to me and my wife wouldn't have to worry about where to get the car work done. Another consideration would be if you get the Nissan extended the dealer should be fully qualified as some are not. I wouldn't touch a third party warranty.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Something to think about... Nissan doesn't sell warranties at a discount, in fact I have heard they make a large profit selling warranties. It's in their interest that the average repairs done under warranty will be significantly less than what the customer pays for the extended warranty... Some will benefit from having the extended warranty, most will not. It's a gamble where the house generally comes out on top... JMHO...

·
Registered
298 Posts
When it comes to insurance (warranty is a form of insurance), there are only two options :

1) Self Insure, you are covering yourself!

2) Purchase a Policy, Pay someone else to cover you!

Last but not least, the common pearl of wisdom :

Pay on your terms (as long as you are fully aware of what they are) and not someone else's........!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got the Nissan Added Security Plan (which I think is their extended warranty) because the car was purchased used 2018 with 14K km. The plan includes 10 free oil changes and I had them provide weather tech mats (at a discount or maybe some free - I can't remember). With the ASP you are entitled for a partial refund if you don't execute the warranty ($2,000 CAD) but you must contact them when the warranty expires. When I worked out the numbers at the time of purchase it was about $120 for the extended warranty if it wasn't used. So it made sense to me. In hindsight, I should have added more KM's because the warranty expires at 60k and I'm hovering at 44K. Not much left.

Breakdown: $2800 for ASP after taxes. $60 oil change at the dealership x 10 x tax rate = $680. $2800 - 680 - 2000 (refund) = ~$120 for warranty. It also ends in December 2022, but I am more likely to hit the KM limit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree that the warranty is pretty much an insurance plan. Only other caveat to that is the fact that insurance companies sometimes don't like to cover certain things. In this case the dealer is the insurance company. Perhaps knowing exactly what is detailed in the warranty in clear writing and how that affects me can help weigh the option. Also, sometimes you can go over the dealer and straight to the manufacturer if the dealer doesn't want to honor the warranty. Those oil changes can just be an opportunity for them to attempt to upsell you on things you don't need. Not all dealers are bad. Knowing your service schedule in the car manual is very helpful when bringing the car to the dealer for service. Sometimes they like to mention services before the schedule calls for them at that mileage or age. Keep good records of everything. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
8,753 Posts
A warranty - especially one other than a new warranty - is absolutely an insurance plan.

As noted above, what matters is what it DOES NOT cover. Read carefully before buying.

This is a case where it really pays to understand the mechanical aspects of a car, because otherwise when you read the specifics that are covered, you know what they're leaving out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
One other factor to consider when adding a warranty to a used vehicle is the warranty period. Many companies begin coverage when the vehicle was sold new, regardless of when the warranty was purchased. Example, a 6 year, 100K mile warranty on a 3 year old vehicle will only have 3 years left. Always confirm the terms of the policy, including the end DATE

Reactions: Mindybs

·
Registered
57 Posts
The electronics on the vehicle will most likely give out before anything mechanical. My friend purchased the extended warranty on their 2016 Murano, and was very glad to have done so when the hatch started acting up. The repair costs on just that alone so far would have been more than the cost of the warranty. They have had no other mechanical issues in 60,000 miles.

As others have said, it is basically an insurance plan. The cost of the Nissan Extended Warranty is negotiable, and you don't have to buy the warranty from the same dealer you bought the car originally. Shop around a few dealers, and check online to save some money on it if you think you really want to buy one.

It makes more sense to me to put the money you would spend on the warranty aside in a car repair fund. Use it to pay for any repairs that might come up out of warranty. If you never touch it before getting rid of the vehicle you made out. If you end up using some of it, and still have some left, you made out. If you use it all up, you still ended up spending the same as if you bought the warranty. The risk is you use it all up plus some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We bought our 2019 Murano (at CarMax) on Sunday. We have bought our last 10 cars there, and have always bought the extended warranty. In our experience, just one unexpected repair ends up covering the cost of the warranty. We have never "lost" money on a warranty. We bought a used 2012 Murano in 2015, and purchased a 5 year, 125k mile warranty because the manufacturer's warranty was already up. 4 years later, the a/c went out. Replaced, for FREE!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
If you think the car you are thinking of buying needs an extended warranty, then you need to buy a different car. No one selling extended warranties, which aren't warranties but insurance policies, never loses money. Why do you think you receive all of the calls to sell you an extended warranty? Save your money and invest it wisely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you think the car you are thinking of buying needs an extended warranty, then you need to buy a different car. No one selling extended warranties, which aren't warranties but insurance policies, never loses money. Why do you think you receive all of the calls to sell you an extended warranty? Save your money and invest it wisely.
We have owned Fords, Dodges, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, GMC and more and have never lost money on an extended warranty. Just one example - we bought a used 2012 Nissan in 2015 with only 15k miles on it. The manufacturer's warranty was already up, so we purchased an extended warranty for 5 years/125k miles. In 2019, 4 years later, now with 120,000 miles on the car, and both passenger and driver's windows motors went out. Just that one repair would have been enough of a chunk of change (far beyond the cost of the warranty), but only cost us a $50.00 deductible. And the warranty covered 100% of the rental car for 5 days while the car was in the shop. We've opted to not get a warranty a few times because we'd had the same car before and knew the dependability, and always regretted it.

·
Super Moderator
8,753 Posts
I think the value of an extended warranty - which as noted earlier, is an insurance plan - depends on the plan and on your skills. If you know nothing about cars and have no mechanical skills, the balance tilts toward longer warranties.

If you have mechanical skills and some knowledge of the vehicle, then it may tilt the other way.

The only extended warranty I have ever bought was on a used Audi sedan. I was debating it, and checked with the service manager of the dealer selling it. He said the car was very good overall, but he thought there might be a leak in the power steering rack. I checked the policy carefully and the rack was covered for leaks or failure. I bought it, and within a month the PS fluid had gone dry and the diagnosis was a leaking rack. The repair paid for the policy plus a bit, so I came out a few dollars ahead on that repair. I had no other repairs with that vehicle within the warranty period.

In the case cited above, I'd have cheerfully replaced the power window motors myself, probably with motors from a wrecking yard. But that's within my skills and comfort level.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think the value of an extended warranty - which as noted earlier, is an insurance plan - depends on the plan and on your skills. If you know nothing about cars and have no mechanical skills, the balance tilts toward longer warranties.

If you have mechanical skills and some knowledge of the vehicle, then it may tilt the other way.

The only extended warranty I have ever bought was on a used Audi sedan. I was debating it, and checked with the service manager of the dealer selling it. He said the car was very good overall, but he thought there might be a leak in the power steering rack. I checked the policy carefully and the rack was covered for leaks or failure. I bought it, and within a month the PS fluid had gone dry and the diagnosis was a leaking rack. The repair paid for the policy plus a bit, so I came out a few dollars ahead on that repair. I had no other repairs with that vehicle within the warranty period.

In the case cited above, I'd have cheerfully replaced the power window motors myself, probably with motors from a wrecking yard. But that's within my skills and comfort level.
The Service Manager who told you he "thought" the Audi was leaking knew it and didn't fix it as part of reconditioning. Having the customer buy a used car extended warranty with a known defect is something that is frowned upon. Had you brought that car back to him before 30 days his department would have had to fix it. Extended warranties won't cover items immediately to avoid just such a situation.

·
Super Moderator
8,753 Posts
This was about 30 years ago, and in Texas. Many things are possible there.

Reactions: Michael Martin
1 - 20 of 28 Posts