Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey is an extended warranty worth it? I was gonna get the 6 yr 72,000 mi for $1,037. they also had a 6 yr 100,000 for $1,257 and 7 yr 100,00 for 41,357.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops sorry that last one is a 7 yr 100,000 mi for $1,357

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I don't know.
I got the 7/70,000
offered them $1000 and they took it.

Paid too much and the CVT that I was worried about is covered for 5/60,000 I think.

But if all works out I usually keep a car about 7 years. Last two have been that way.
I also like the idea of a guaranteed loner and road hazard phone number.

Homer

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought the 7 year 100K also. I have been thinking it's not worth it, but I just spoke top a friend of mine what had to spend a bucket load of cash to replace the super charger on his X-Terra. I forgot how many miles he has on it, but it was out of warranty. Right then and there I was like you know what, this vehicle is too untested, especially with the cvt, and has way too many electronic gadgets, so it just reaffirmed my decision for the extended warranty...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I turned down the EW when I bought my MO. You have me thinking now. Can we buy the EW, after we've already bought the car and will the price be higher?

:confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got a good deal on the MO and a decent deal on my trade and used the money for a 7/70,000. I knew I loved the car enough to keep it for a while.
I also had a cherokee that was out of warranty that was draining the kids college fund. So I bought...peace of mind.

PS> Just think of how much a replacement CVT would cost you.

·
5,244 Posts
I got 5y/100k. I was buying peace of mind........overpaid it though......Main reason was the CVT.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It was my understanding that you could buy the warantee at anytime, but it would be more expensive as the car aged. I believe you can buy warantees from 3rd party vendors as well. Another thing that sold me on the warantee is that you can decide later on to cancel it for a refund (prorated of course)...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I only have one bit of advice on EW. If you buy one, ONLY buy one that comes directly from Nissan. DO NOT buy an EW from a 3rd party. There ARE some reputable EW companies out there, but the majority of them are fly by nights ops that go out of business every year, only to recreate themselves as a new company so they can take someone elses money. So buying an EW from Nissan is the best way to go.

Oh, well, I guess I've got to things to say. Shop around for your EW. The prices for an EW vary WILDLY from dealer to dealer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
HwnMurano > I got mine for $1088 from Windward Nissan.

CORRECTION ON TERMS from my previous post > 72 month/75,000 miles.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hmmm... I thinking about it, after seeing that poor guy's thread on his shredded CVT and his problems with the dealer fixing it.

I really feel for him, and I don't want to find myself in that situation.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Extended warranties are an awesome money maker for the sellers, but a horrible investment.

Your drivetrain is covered by Nissan for 5/60,000. Extended warranty would only kick in after that time. So you are buying insurance now for $1-2K in the hopes that something will go wrong with your car in 5 years that will cost MORE than the $1-2K (+interest). However, if there really are catastrophic problems with the CVT, we will see them as Muranos age (maybe not yours, but on average we'll see the reliability issues in Consumer Reports and similar places). If the car looks like it's going to be a lemon, say by the time you've owned it for 4 years, you can then trade it and use the money you saved on the EW (+interest you earned on it in 4 years) on a new car instead of an old one.

"Electrical gadgets" are covered by the 3/36. The failure rate of solid state components is bell shaped. They either fail very early (within a few months) or very late (10 years). Moving parts like power windows and mirrors, CD players, leveling motors in your HIDs fail based on wear... but are they really worth a warranty of $1-2K that only kicks in after 3 years?

Hmmm... I thinking about it, after seeing that poor guy's thread on his shredded CVT and his problems with the dealer fixing it.

I really feel for him, and I don't want to find myself in that situation.
Just curious here, but suppose you have an EW, and you have a powertrain problem AFTER your factory Nissan warranty expires. Where will you take it to get it fixed? The same problems apply.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I found out during negotiations at purchase time that just like purchase price of your auto,your extended warranty is flexable as well -seems my price dropped over $800. in the course of my deal.7/75 for $440. Course I also got them to drop the vehic. price nearly $7k as well. Only had to get up and walk towards the door 3 times to go to Acura! I went for the warranty because it is a first year model and the CVT (which has been replaced allready).:4:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Also you can shop around and purchase your extended warranty from any dealer. I found saving of $200-$300, just by surfing the web and calling dealers. I ultimately decided against the extended warranty. I will reconsider when the car is close to out of warranty. My dealer told me I could pruchase the warranty anytime within the first 3yr36K. After the first year there would be a $75 surcharge. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Silly question what is the standard warranty that the MO comes with for all components

Engine, Drive Train, Corrision etc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts